yuck going grey

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by silvertonebetty, Jul 21, 2013.

1. silvertonebetty

silvertonebetty Gretschie

Jun 18, 2012
    canada
    So the other day i was looking in the mirror and noticed im going grey i was like no how could this be 22 and going grey and to think wen i was younger i thought grey hair was cool now its a bad thing

2. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    They don't call you silvertone for nothing!!:D

3. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
  4. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I started getting grey in my mid twenties. At first it was a single streak that looked cool. Now I'm quite a bit more grey. For a while it was distinguished, but now I think it just distinguishes me from the young. :D

It still looks good (I'm lucky - I got my Dad's hair (he's in his 80's and still has a very full head of shiny silver hair), but I've already made the decision that when my dental reconstruction is done and I start gigging again I'm getting the grey colored out. Rock 'n roll is a young person's business and you gotta do what you gotta do.
    If I intended to just sing Standards, I'd keep the grey, as it lends credibility to the whole thing, but for slinging a guitar the rules are different, especially if the goal is the brass ring.

5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I started going grey at 23. My hair was almost totally white by the time I was 27. At least it didn't fall out!

6. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    l only really started going grey in my forties.. but l was starting to lose my hair in my late 20's... i've got a decent satellite dish at the back of my scone these days... l pick up a couple of extra channels per year!!:D

7. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    i started loosing my hair when i was 18 i would welcome grey

8. Adam Christopher

Adam Christopher Gretschie

Jul 20, 2013
    UK
    I'm 35, and have lots of grey. I was actually surprised it all sort of appeared so quickly!

But that's life. There are more important things to worry about! If it bugs you, colour it!

9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    ..and here I'm complaining at 48 at some hints of grey poking though the pompadour!

10. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
  11. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

It makes me look like George Clooney. It makes me look like George Clooney. It makes me look like George Clooney. It makes me look like George Clooney. It makes me.......

12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    There's only one thing worse than getting grey/gray, and that is trying to cover it up!

13. fletch

fletch Country Gent

Oct 19, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    I have very little sympathy for your plight, guys!
    I started going bald in my teens, by twenty-five, I had a bald patch at the back and another at the front, with an isthmas across the middle that looked like a comb-over. So I started shaving my head and keeping the back and sides as short at as possible. Remember, this was in the late seventies and eightires when bouffant haircuts were all the go. Nothing has changed in the last forty years except that all my mates are catching up with me.
    Oh, and I found out that I'm a trendsetter! Twenty five years ahead of the head shaving fashion, that's me!

14. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    And a comb over on top of that! :D

15. Like some of the posters here, I have little to no sympathy for people with either bad hair cuts or a bad die job or hair turning grey. I would be happy with an entire head of grey hair. Heck, I would be happy with purple hair. Do you know how hard it is to present yourself as a rocker with a big sate lite dish on your head( phrase borrowed from a previous post thank you) so it's caps and rags
    On the head.

If the grey really bothers you, come jam with me for an hour and I will cheer you up.

16. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I'm one of the 'started going grey in my 20's' crowd.
    Pretty much totally grey by 45 and now I'm like Steve Martin but thin on top!
    Glad I'm not that vain anymore lol

17. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I already had a little gray when I married at 39, but it really accelerated then. Seventeen years later I am silver haired. I tell my wife and kids it's all their fault.

18. afire

afire Country Gent

At 38 I'm getting the occasional odd gray hair. My wife likes it. I don't. It interferes with my ability to pretend that I'm not getting old. But like others, I'd trade a lot more gray for a better head of hair. I lost a bunch at my temples from 18-25, and then it just stopped. It could be worse, but it could definitely be better.

19. plroad21

plroad21 Gretschie

Nov 12, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    I'm 32 and have been getting more and more grey hair since about 6 years ago (which interestingly enough coincides with having our first kid...). For a while I tried dying it, but it would only last a few weeks and be right back. My wife doesn't mind it, so neither do I anymore. If anything, I think maybe people take me a little more seriously because of it. Now I'm starting to get silver in the beard too. I say embrace it.

20. John Pimlott

John Pimlott Gretschie

Jul 27, 2012
    London
    Now I feel like a freak of nature!
    I'm 50 next year, my hair is thick and darker than it was when I was 18. I have also grown 2 inches in the last five years.. I don't get it?
    On the plus side, puberty can't be too far away now...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice