Your thoughts on the Players Edition Duo Jet, please...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Sep 7, 2019.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Get this Caddy green one, seems a no brainer at that price;)
    Unless you don't like green:D

DHart likes this.
  2. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    While the shapes are slightly different, the overall dimensions are too close to notice any difference.
    But, the Jets are generally lighter, so better ballanced, and the selection of pickups on the Gretsch offer a lot more versatility. My 5230 with BT filterTrons is giving me a incredible range of working tones.

DHart likes this.
  3. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Glorious tones there, Uncle Daddy!

4. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Yes, size-wise, probably not enough difference for my liking. Balance-wise, that would certainly be better. And lighter weight than my LP Standard is a nice improvement, as well.

I know that some buckers can be fairly bright, but they still lack a certain richness and clarity of detailed tones that single coils and some Gretsch-ish pickups do offer. To me humbuckers typically sound like they're holding back something, restricting some frequencies and masking some detail. I would think that to my taste, TV-HT (Hilo'trons) or T-Armonds would be just the ticket for pickups.

I'm still waffling between a Semi-hollow body Junior (there is a Broadkaster Jr. on my radar) and a chambered Jet.

Wozob likes this.
  5. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Looks like a great guitar and a great price.

Why did you let it go, Tony, and now LA Miles wishes to sell it? What about it didn't quite make you guys want to keep it?

6. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I don’t keep anything. Lol. HE has too many doggone Gretsch guitars. Just PILING up over there, poor fella......I also think he just may not be a Jet guy(preferring hollows)but I’m just guessing.

In all sincerity, I have thought about buying it back because it’s a GREAT guitar. One of those lightweight easy playing really “ALIVE” guitars. Resonates well and just feels RIGHT.

DHart likes this.
  7. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    DHart - not speaking for Tony, but he does go thru a pile of instruments and he only buys quality gear. I've bought from him and sold to him, and yes he did indicate in an email to me last week prior to your thread that he was tempted to buy this back.

Me, I've got a bit of a collection of very nice Gretsch'. I have a Penguin as my solid-body go-to, it just speaks to me more than the 6228.

Whatever you decide on, good luck.

Waxhead and DHart like this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I've owned LPs and currently a Jet 6131 with TVJ classics.
    Imo Jet's with filtertrons are much better guitars than LPs.

They are lighter, more comfy to play in any position, sound better clean thru overdrive, are brighter sounding, better balanced and more versatile.

You mention TVJ - HT pups - if you mean hilotrons I then I'd prefer an LP.
    I'm not a fan of single coil pups in Gretsch and certainly not in a Jet.

If you want a brighter pup then TVJ Classics are plenty bright enough with lots of twang and sparkle. They are also low noise and much more versatile than hilotrons or any dynasonics imo.

Filtertrons are different to standard humbuckers and TV Jones makes the best pups money can buy imo with the Classics, Broadtron and Setzer signature filtertrons.

A word of caution on the player edition gretsch models.
    None of the new one's I've seen are any better than the standard proline Jets.

They just have some different features that people may or may not prefer.
    But you pay an extra $1000 or more for new player editions and if you really wanted some feature on a PE not available on the stock models you could easy mod a stock model yourself for less than a third of the price of the mark up for the PE.

On some of the PE's I've seen I actually much prefer the stock models. PE's don't sound or look any better, they just have a few different features.

Having said all that the PE Jet LA Miles is selling looks like a great deal and you could easy throw a bigsby on it. It's also got standard tone control which is a bonus. I prefer Ebony fretboards myself but Rosewood is certainly great too.

I doubt you could find a better deal than LA Miles Jet :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    DHart likes this.
  9. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    I just took some measurements on my G6228FM Players Edition because there seems to be some questions about the model's size and weight. Mine (which has the flame maple bourbon stain top) measures 13 3/8" at the widest point of the lower bout and weighs in at 7.3 pounds all strung up and ready to go. Every time I pick this up the low weight is a surprise to me - I like Les Pauls (have a few of them) but they are (for me) too heavy and unbalanced to be truly comfortable to play, especially sitting down and not using a classical guitar playing position.

The G6228 uses the new Broadtron 65A pickups which are certainly capable of doing a Les Paul thing but the guitar always wants to sound like a Gretsch. At lower volumes it seems a bit challenging to get the Les Paul thing going on it as it sounds so bright with a sort of acoustic component to the sound which a Les Paul doesn't have.

A really nice guitar. A wonderful guitar. For what it's worth, when I bought it I was also considering a black G6128T-59 Vintage Select '59 Duo Jet with B3CB Bigsby and TV Jones pickups. Tried them together through a Princeton - they were exactly the same price. Both sounded really good but I knew that I wouldn't really like the floating bridge and the lack of a tone control (just a mud switch) on the 59. So the G6228 came home with me instead.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    DHart likes this.
  10. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
  11. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Yep, went through a Les Paul period, but like you the heavy body, very unbalanced, made playing sitting down untenable for me. My last Les Paul hung out with me for a good number of years, but hardly ever played. Kind of a shame as it was a VERY nice Les Paul.

It's gone now. In favor of this

[​IMG]

2019 G6119T Players edition Tenny. Stunningly impressive instrument! Don't miss the Les Paul for a 32nd note.

12. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    I know... different universe than a Duo Jet. Ultimately, I decided this fit my "guitar family" better than another solid, or sort-of solid, body guitar (got LOTS of those on hand).

section2 likes this.
  13. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    [​IMG]

This is my other Players Edition - G6659 Broadkaster Jr. I think they're something special.

section2, Falcon LPB and DHart like this.
  14. Falcon LPB

Falcon LPB Electromatic

Aug 15, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep, I agree they are special. As noted in an earlier post, I have a Cadillac Green (G6659TG) and would be hanging on to it but for the fact that I need to sell it to fund another Falcon and keep the "toil and strife" off my back about having too many guitars (is that possible?).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    new6659 likes this.
  15. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    For me, the Broadkaster Jr. is "my Falcon". I have played and thought about buying a falcon but they are bigger than I would like and more over the top in their aesthetic than suits me. The Jr. with the smaller body size and toned down bling is more my thing but that's just me.

section2 likes this.
  16. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Beautiful! Now, let's see more pics, please!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  17. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    I went the opposite route
    Order and had the players edition for 5 days and was not thrilled with the tension bar Bigsby and tom bridge I liked everything else but sent it back and bought the 59 VS and could not be happier love this guitar as far as mud switch goes I use the treble and no load selections and that gets were I want

new6659 and section2 like this.
  18. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Your wish is my command, section2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for now.

Henry and MTurner like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice