Your thoughts on the Players Edition Duo Jet, please...

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Sep 7, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    I recently let go of a beautiful Gibson Les Paul Standard. I've had it for about 6 years, but as I play sitting, the Les Paul was not comfortable for me to play.

-13" body was too small and too off -balanced (very butt-heavy) for my liking (9 lbs.)
    -Humbucker tones just not bright and sparkly enough for me

So... I'm wondering if a Players Edition Duo Jet might be a reasonable and more suitable replacement for the Les Paul? Perhaps with a pickup swap to TVJ TV-HTs.

Is the body 14"? (14" is a good size for me, especially if it's well-balanced neck to body)

I know the Duo Jet weights are generally lighter than Les Pauls (7.2 - 8.0 lbs).

I would appreciate hearing whatever your thoughts might be on this.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    new6659 likes this.
  2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    There's not much traffic here on the PE. It may be that because it's a new model that it'll take time for traditional Gretscheratti to gel with it. One of the main issues is, and will continue to be, the tension bar Bigsby. That by itself will take the line off the radar of the die hards. Couple that with a rosewood fingerboard where you'd expect to see ebony, these are likely to become a future collectors item due to the low number of units sold.

Doesn't stop it from being a great guitar, if that's the guitar you need. Personally I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole, but that's because I have a real Duo Jet! And there it is. I'm guessing Gretsch will be looking for a different kind of buyer, one that's less interested in "historic" models.

3. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yeah, I am more interested in the traditional duo jet, wood base bridge, B3, ebony board. Though mine doesn't look that traditional. Love this guitar, sounds as badass as it looks.

[​IMG]

4. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
  5. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    I have the PE 6120 love it
    I had the PE 6128 for about 5 days loved everything about it except the Bigsby with tension bar was and uncomfortable
    I was going to have to add a shin or get a Bigs Fix to make it mine.
    I sent it back and bought a nos 2018 6128 59 VS for way less money from Street Sounds and couldn’t be happier

DHart likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was ranty over the new Jet PEs, because aside from finish and overall build materials, they really don’t offer anything more over what the Electromatic Jets provided. I get it, it’s supposed to be attractive to the LP playing crowd, with it low profile neck joint/fretboard, TOM/stop tail and MIJ quality. Even the use of hotter pickups—more Gibson-like hybrids. The main difference, based on my assumptions, is there is a thin ply top on the PEs—so more resonance. But all that really doesn’t matter plugged in, when the strings are secured down with a stud bridge and stop tailpiece, IMHO.

Why not just the well-chambered Electromatic Jet, since you’re going to replace the pickups anyways?

section2 and DHart like this.
  7. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Gretschie

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    If you like a LP surely the Power Jet is the way to go. Chambered body to keep the weight down & will go toe-to-toe with an LP for rock tones!

DHart likes this.
  8. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    As far as traditional or historic aspects, I have no idea of the historic versions, so I have no attachment whatsoever to historic models.
    Well-chambered Electromatic Jet is most certainly a consideration. (especially as I consider the 5655TG Junior - not a Jet, of course.)

I just have to get over my cognitive dissonance with Made in China. I'm not saying that the product can't be a good one. Obviously, there are some great quality MIC products (Apple product being a prime example.)

Do the China-made Electromatics match the Korean-made Electromatics?

9. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Mr Swisher... what I'm saying is that I don't like the Les Paul, because the 13" body is too small, and it's too butt-heavy (unbalanced), and too-dark in tone quality.

An ES-Les Paul is slightly better (for me), due to being a lighter-weight, semi-hollow body, but still, the 13" body is small for me to hunch over as I play sitting.

A 14" body is just big enough for my playing comfort. 15" is great too. 16" starts getting a little larger than I really prefer (especially if it is a deeper body), though I have no problem fitting to a 16" deep body (I'm 6' tall) - I just don't enjoy 16" deeper bodies much at all.

That's why I was thinking that if the Jet has a 14" body and is well-balanced... THAT I might really like, especially with a pickup-swap for some rich and BRIGHT pickups, which is an easy swap-job to do with a solid body guitar. :)

Mr Swisher likes this.
  10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    It would be hard to quantify comparing an MIK vs MIC, because only Gretsch hollowbody guitars are made in the Korean factory. I’d say, yes they do match, largely because there is no noticeable discrepancy in quality between the two, and the pickups for both are MIK, i.e. they share parts and electronics, tuners, bridges, etc.

11. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    OK. Seems like I just have to jump over my self-imposed mental dissonance surrounding a guitar made in China.

MTurner likes this.
  12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Try them out, you could always put a sticker over that part :) Not too long ago, people refinished headstocks to get rid of that Electromatic logo running down the middle. Now the Electro line is mid-tier, and pretty respectable/gig-able..

DHart likes this.
  13. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    The MIC Electromatics are "entry level", or they used to be before the Streamliner range. As such they can benefit from upgrades regarding the pots and nut. Good wood, machining, fretwork etc, and often a target for upgraded pickups.

DHart likes this.
  14. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Since the pickups are a really important choice for me, having a body (that isn't very expensive) that I don't mind swapping pickups and pots in and out of is appealing. I really hesitate to swap pickups in the $2000+ hollow and semi-hollow guitars. Solid body pickup swaps - I'll do regardless of the cost of the guitar.

section2 likes this.
  15. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Electromatic

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Some fun facts and thoughts on PE Jets:

They’re between 13 and 14 inches. Closer to 13 though.

The weight balance hangs better than a Les Paul.

The Electromatics are definitely good guitars. You’ll probably end up replacing all the electronics. Maybe a few other parts. The price jump to a PE is up to you. I found it easily worth it after playing a few.

You can get PE’s with ebony fretboards if you want. (https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear...bt-with-v-stoptail-and-flame-maple/2413500859) IIRC the Electromatics are walnut or something now.

The Bigsby they come with isn’t the greatest. I’d recommend the stop tailpiece version, then get a Towner tension bar and add your own Bigsby. It’s easy to do and solves the tension problem very well. Here’s a thread on it: http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/6228-bigsby-b3-towner-retro-fit.192302/ — I’d be happy to post or PM a few more detailed pics if you want.

Pickups are dependent on what you want to sound like. I’ve tried a bunch of them in mine. Lately I’ve really been liking the T’Armond pickups, they work surprisingly well for a Led Zeppelin type sound. Go figure.

Or maybe check out a PE Broadkaster Jr.

16. DHart

DHart Gretschie

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Jarrod... some great tips. Thank you.

And, in response to your final comment... I've been doing JUST THAT! :rolleyes: Jeez.

section2 likes this.
  17. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    A Jet has a slightly larger body then a Les Paul, but I'm not sure if it's 14". I guess a bit smaller. The shape and chambering makes is much better balanced when playing sitting.
    IMO a Les Paul with humbuckers can be quite bright. If it's not bright enough for your liking, I think you won't like Powertrons either. I'd go for Gretsch HS Filtertrons or TV Jones Classics. Maybe a Classic+ in the bridge position.

IMG_0662.jpeg

section2, DHart and wildeman like this.
  18. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    The PE 6228 is an amazing guitar. It is PERFECTLY suited for someone as yourself that wants a Gretsch “Les Paul”. I can’t overstate how wonderful they look, play, and sound.

Our good member is selling a mint Caddy Green version here at a steal of a price if you are interested:

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/gretsch-2018-6228-pe.194805/

DHart likes this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Obviously judging by my avatar I would buy a Penguin. Reverb has a number of them now, but I would not chase anything with a tension bar Bigsby just my preference, I could live with the V stop bar if the guitar really spoke to me. Now the one TSims1 linked above is a very nice looking guitar as well.

20. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    yeah, what he said :) Thanks Tony

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice