Your pedalboard today.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by TSims1, Apr 9, 2019.

1. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    You're outa control .... :p

audept likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    The Afterglow ... thoughts ?

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm thinking of starting "PedalJunkies Anonymous" (Hello, my name is Audept and I'm a pedal junkie) :D

Trash Kidd, BorderRadio and Waxhead like this.
  4. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    But I like it, like it, yes I do! :D

thunder58, Trash Kidd and pmac11 like this.
  5. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I think it's important to first dial in a good tone with zero fx, and use that as a foundation. I'm often surprised at how very small additions of drive, trem, or whatever can have a really big impact. Like cooking with spices, too much can spoil things in a hurry. So by working in small increments with each of my pedals, I find the 'set it and forget it' position for each one. It's perhaps not a coincidence that it sounds ok when I have a few of them on at a time. Three low-mid gain drive pedals helps too. Between having them turned on singly or in combination, that's six different possible drive tones on tap without changing a single setting.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    macatt, 53Rockets and Jockabilly like this.
  6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have a pretty basic board now, but I’ve had busier ones before.
    I cannot speak for everyone, but I know for myself that each pedal serves a purpose, even if it’s for one part of one song.
    Most of us have our baseline tone that we’ve painstakingly worked out for whatever project we have going.
    These days I know how I like my amp to be dialed for the job, I keep my brain preamp on for some magic dust on my baseline tone, i know where my slapback is supposed to be, and I know when/where the fuzz get’s initiated.
    It’s not as if we’re Alice going down the rabbit hole stomping willy nilly on fx.... Well..... most of the time it’s not. Being Alice can be fun sometimes.

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well yes - that's one of the issues I found with digital multi effects units.
    They'll give you maybe 50-100 very ordinary quality tones and effects 99% of players will never use.
    They are loaded up with useless bells and whistles that needlessly complicate everything imo.

At least 90% of players only actually need or use a few tones & effects.
    Assuming your amp does not do overdrive/distortion or reverb then any blues, rock, pop, rockabilly player only actually uses overdrive, reverb, delay, tuner, wah - 5 pedals will deliver that.

If your amps do great overdrive/distortion & reverb like mine do then those players will only need 3 pedals - delay, tuner, wah (optional).

With such minimal needs to enhance the worlds best Gretsch guitars I decided to match it with the best analog stomps I could find. Works out cheaper, simpler, more versatile, lighter/smaller with less to go wrong with far better tone quality to match with my great Gretsch guitars.

I think the worlds best guitars should be matched with the worlds best amps and pedals.
    Otherwise, I don't see the point of owning such great guitars :)

No way I want to start any debates about multi effects v analog stomps.
    That's just my experience from having been around this merry go round a few times.
    Everyone please enjoy what you have :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Trash Kidd, audept and pmac11 like this.
  8. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    with that many pedals you're doing a quick two-step on your way to the "twelve-step" :)

audept likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
  10. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Temple Audio; way to go!

The 'roos know you have a serious problem. :) Nah, you're just creative.

TSims1 and audept like this.
  11. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm pretty sure I posted a photo five years back.
    It hasn't changed.

Waxhead and audept like this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    HI AUDEPT !!

audept likes this.
  13. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    "The Afterglow-- thoughts?"

Thunder: well it does what it's supposed to do. I'm not really a chorus fan at all, but my band plays a couple of songs where a bit of swirl adds (so I'm told!) to the general ambience of the whole thing, so what do I know.

These budget TC boxes are, so I understand, more or less the old Behringer pedals (cue alarm bells in some quarters) but in a tougher metal casing. They have a 'soft' footswitch rather than the usual hard click type, but so far they've been OK -- then again I'm not a heavy footed kinda bloke when it comes to effects pedals. To me, the sound is certainly good enough for what I need -- and none of the other guys in the band complain when I kick in the chorus so I'm happy with it.

I do like the chunky shape and size of these pedals. And the fact that all connections are on the top means you can line 'em up close together. How sturdy the jack and power sockets and their internal connections will prove to be I don't know, but on a fixed pedalboard they don't get pushed and pulled around. So overall, yeah, I've no complaints. And in the UK these things are selling for about £30.

thunder58 likes this.
  14. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Rich, come in, take a seat and tell us about your addiction.......:p

thunder58 likes this.
  15. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Oldblues: as neat, compact pedalboards go, that setup looks just about perfect to me. And I bet it sounds as good as it looks. What amp do you use with it?

16. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    LOL .....:D

audept likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    This pedalboard thing is starting to piss me off, I keep dumping good money in it, but it's seemingly never finished...

Mr Swisher, Waxhead and audept like this.
  18. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    Junior Samples rofl BR549!

My property used to be part of Junior's family's farm.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice