Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Your First Gretsch

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Les Pedals, Apr 30, 2017.

1. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    z.jpg

Traded my Gibby 135 for this....then joined GT
    :cool:

wilblee, Les Pedals, benjwri and 7 others like this.
  2. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Mine was a Cherry Blossom 5422 that I liked a lot but did trade for the Panther I use now.

audept, Les Pedals and Trash Kidd like this.
  3. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    You all look so THIN! Very jealous! :p

Les Pedals and ultra80096 like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    My first was a '73 Tennessean, purchased in 1981. Didn't really know what I had and traded it for a Rickenbacker 4001 bass in '83...needed that to become a rock & roll star, which never happened. ;)

Bought a 2005 Tennessean a couple of years ago, because I still missed it after all those years...something about those Hilotrons that gets me... and it ain't leaving again!

audept and Les Pedals like this.
  6. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    I came to Gretsch late. Never was attracted to them, though I listened to and admired several artists who played them.

The switch got flipped by the Duffy Falcon. Fortunately, it flipped in a time when I had money, because there were no used ones available. I did manage to find a scratch'n'dent (teensy little scratch on the Bigsby. No dents) that I picked up at a satisfactory discount.

Fast forward 5 years. Still love it, along with the one I bought because I love the Duffy (6121-FTW). When my wife and I moved to our temporary digs (while we get one house sold and another built), I could bring 3 (out of 14) electrics. Both the Gretches made the cut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

turbo2000, benjwri, thunder58 and 6 others like this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Gretschie

May 24, 2012
    usa
    After chasing vintage Gretsches for decades with no luck, here's my first. '98 DEO with a few mods that were done over the years.

Gone, but not forgotten ..................she's in a good place now! :)

[​IMG]

8. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    5120 with Compton and Vineham "RockaBilly" pickups

IMG_20140720_134300_zps5c77d99a.jpg

9. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    1965/66 6120 ,The first Gretsch i ever bought when i was 17 ,bought in April 1988, I think i had it paid off in full around August the same year, with a lot of help from my parents and grand parents ,who were all paid back in full too.
    As you can see i still own it to this day,it'll be 30 years together next year.:cool::cool:
    [​IMG]

10. afire

afire Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Wisconsin
    A '65 Country Gentleman, modeled by a young me and my beautiful Kentucky waterfall.
    [​IMG]

11. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    [​IMG]

I bought this in 1966 hoping to play in a R&B band but it never worked out. Still have it tho.

Lee

12. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Lovely guitar, great that you still have it!

Les Pedals, JC higgy and Aymara like this.
  13. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    That is Spectacular, Lee!

Les Pedals likes this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    First owner? :)

15. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    DSC_0094.JPG DSC_0045.JPG

16. afire

afire Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I got it in 1991 when I was 15, IIRC. And I thought it as so cool that my guitar was 26 years old! That was 26 years ago and somehow a 1991 guitar doesn't feel so steeped in history as a 1965 guitar did to me in 1991.

Speaking of the first owner, supposedly he was killed in Vietnam and it had been "under the bed" since. Maybe that's true (and it certainly was nice and clean), but in retrospect, I have a sneaking suspicion that may have been the first time I was fed a BS one-owner story about a vintage guitar.

Les Pedals, JC higgy, Aymara and 2 others like this.
  17. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
  18. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    My first Gretsch was given to me by a co-worker friend who said it was sitting in his garage for over a decade. It is a 1968 Gretsch Corvette and when he gave it to me it wasn't playable. At the time I didn't even know Gretsch made a true solid body guitar so I had to research what it was. There were no electronics and it was finished in a 1970's looking coffee table type varnish. The neck feels great but the fretboard was full of divots. I made the decision to spend the money to fix it up when I learned that the HiLotrons were original and working. I had a luthier friend work on it to get it back up and running. We came up with a Gibson-ish control layout to get the toggle switch out of the Bigsby's way. I then shipped it to Curt at Old School Guitars in New Jersey for the purple Setzer style Hotrod nitrocellulose finish. I'm planning on giving it to my 8 year old daughter when she is older if she learns how to play guitar which right now it sounds like she wants to learn. Even though I love the guitar and it sounds great, there is just something extremely cool about girls rocking Corvettes!

[​IMG]

wilblee, Les Pedals, benjwri and 3 others like this.
  19. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    My first Gretsch was an Orange 5120 that I enjoyed for a few years and wanted to upgrade. After pricing out the parts and labor and coming across a N.O.S. 6120DE (also Orange) I went home with a new Orange guitar.
    <--- that one in the photo

Les Pedals likes this.
  20. sixtyonetwentyguy

sixtyonetwentyguy Electromatic

Jul 3, 2017
    california
    First was '58 Sparkle Jet I got from Ernie Ball in '69 or '70.

Les Pedals likes this.
  21. Scarabeus

Scarabeus Gretschie

May 17, 2014
    Dallas
    My beloved G5435 Pro Jet next to it's adopted sibling, a Schecter T S/H-1

IMG_4326.JPG

thunder58, Les Pedals and benjwri like this.