Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Your first electric guitar. Pic's or it didn't happen.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rockinforJesus, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Jcmltv

Jcmltv Electromatic

Feb 24, 2017
    NC
    This is my first guitar. Got it from Sears when I was about 15. I still have it and took this picture just now! Needs some work. :)
    IMG_6459.JPG

rockinforJesus and tartanphantom like this.
  2. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    WOW! Never seen one of those-- quite an original take on the Gibson Explorer theme.

Jcmltv likes this.
  3. Calula

Calula Electromatic

Jul 28, 2017
    Portugal
    My first guitar was a nasty chunk of burning wood as pictured below - I couldn't possibly want to take a photo of it, so I had to google for pics. It was a bright red Maison strat - the Chinese version of the 90's, not the ones handcrafted in the UK in the 70's. I could better cut a nut just with teeth, it couldn't possibly be kept in tune, the frets were sharp as stilettos... this thing almost made me fall out of love with guitars! Almost... :)

Attached Files:

rockinforJesus likes this.
  4. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    First guitar was a Silvertone Strat that was black with a white pickguard. Quickly adorned it with stickers, as was the punk rock tradition at the time. No pictures of it, so just imagine or go look in a music mag. First guitar I ever bought with my own money is a Syncromatic Gretsch Junior Jet in purple cream. I still own that guitar, and will probably own it til my dying day (or pass down to a kid when I have em).

rockinforJesus likes this.
  5. Zeke

Zeke Electromatic

Aug 14, 2017
    United States
    My first electric guitar was a red Kent 335 copy I bought at a hardware store. No photos of it exist. This is a Cameo Explorer I got from a pawn shop which I think came next. I still have the body but everything was stripped off when I gunked everything up with a smoke bomb in the neck pickup cavity. :)
    Dude on the right is playing a Carlo Robelli (Sam Ash brand) LP into a stupidly loud Fender Twin. I still have that old Univox piggy bank amp too. My lone effect was a Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 box with a plug that plugged directly into the guitar or amp (?). Photo is from the mid 70's.
    1970sCameoExplorer.jpg

audept and rockinforJesus like this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    :D

7. Rikki Ericson

Rikki Ericson Electromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    England
    That was my second guitar after the Jedson. Made of plywood and the trem broke as soon as I tried to be Jimi. I was 16 when I got it. My dad got it fixed for me and I only kept it for sentimental value. Finally sold it around the mid 90s. Funny thing is, I wish I still had all my old geets. Never sell em kids. :)

8. buzzanderson

buzzanderson Gretschie

Jan 19, 2015
    Centreville, VA
    A '94 American Standard Strat, in Candy Apple Red Metallic. I paid $30 extra for the matching painted headstock. I've since equipped it with Texas Specials and a mini toggle for seven pickup combinations. It's still my favorite.

Strat.JPG

somebodyelseuk likes this.