Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Your first electric guitar. Pic's or it didn't happen.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rockinforJesus, Sep 3, 2017.

1. G DynaTron

G DynaTron Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2015
    France
    82' Aria Pro II, RS 600 model, i still have the guitar.

[​IMG]

2. macatt

macatt Gretschie

Mar 18, 2011
    Silverdale WA
    Lindell in 1963 with four pickups and horrible action.
    I had to have been real dedicated to have learned on that P.O.S.

S Mac Lindell 2.png action6.jpg

3. Adl842

Adl842 Gretschie

Apr 26, 2014
    Illinois
  4. Maxadur

Maxadur Electromatic

Feb 17, 2013
    Huntsville, Ontario, Canada
    This is a very cool thread....love seeing the historic pictures! Here's our band "Myriad " in 1968 ......I'm on the left with my Harmony electric (very tough action). I soon acquired a Fender Mustang like my friend Don has.
    Regards, Gerry
    myriad.jpg

5. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I still own my first electric-- and it still plays like a dream.

1978 Electra X-340 MPC... I have three original MPC modules, that all still function to this day. This is a Matsumoku-built instrument, and is severely underrated today. I tell people all the time, it "out-Les Pauls" a Les Paul-- once they play it they tend to agree.
    Solid Mahogany, Jacaranda top, low jumbo frets, ebony/abalone fingerboard in a set neck, active modular electronics, binding everywhere, hardware was gold at one time; largely hand-built-- not a cheap knockoff. (and no, that is not the case for that guitar!) Biggest drawback is that it weighs a ton... sustains for days, though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    thunder58, j.s.c and rockinforJesus like this.
  6. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    First electric I bought was a '73 Tennessean...was hooked at 22 years old. My second acoustics wa Guild D35...been a Gretsch and Guild guy ever since....

rockinforJesus likes this.
  7. TheRealVern

TheRealVern Electromatic

Jul 13, 2015
    Acton, Ontario
    I'm guessing this was late 80's, maybe early 90's? The first new guitar I ever bought was this Fender Telecaster Contemporary (at least I think that was what it was called). It was sort of a Pearl/Sparkle finish. I knew nothing much about guitars when I bought it, but it was probably the best I could come up with at the time.

Unfortunately i don't have it, it was traded in a long time ago on an Epiphone Sheraton.

11760272_1632938366950887_8870172011623889770_n.jpg

thunder58, Dave-B, benjwri and 2 others like this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Prolly a cool Japanese Tele but id take the Sheraton too!

9. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
  10. tartanphantom

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Dude... Is that a Westone (or Electra/Westone)? Sure looks like one. You could rock with Bill & Ted in Wild Stallyns...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Mudshark, TSims1 and rockinforJesus like this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Did Westone make BC Rich Juniors?
    Cute pic btw, what happened LOL!

TSims1 likes this.
  12. tartanphantom

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    As a matter of fact, they copied several BC Rich body shapes, including the Bich and the Mockingbird.

rockinforJesus and Ricochet like this.
  13. organic

organic Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2011
    Worcester UK
    I'm guessing a lot of us learned on a P.O.S. When, later in life, you get to upgrade to a proline or similar, it makes you more appreciative (or unable to believe you're actually playing a guitar that good). :)

wabash slim and rockinforJesus like this.
  14. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I've been racking my brains trying to remember what became of my first two guitars and for the life of me I have no idea. I can't imagine I got much for the first one, the second was an Avon SG copy and I have no idea what I did with that. Within two years I financed (through my parents) the new 74 Telecaster and I think I can remember the lineage from then on. I know I was only 14/15 but I hate totally forgetting something.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  15. afire

afire Country Gent

Lotus Les Paul. It was a rental. I told my parents I wanted to learn guitar. They decided to rent one for a few months to make sure I followed through before they spent real money on potential wall art. Not my guitar, but this is what it was.
    [​IMG]

16. giffenf

giffenf Gretschie

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    [​IMG]
    This isn't my guitar, but my first electric looked just like this. Well, it looked like this before my dad and I painted it candy apple blue. A Dano-made Silvertone with one pickup in a neither twangy nor jazzy location. Probably perfect for a whitebread 11-year-old white boy like me (I recently had my genetics done by 23andMe and was unsurprised to learn I'm 99.4% white; my daughter said "I didn't know any one person could be that white"). My second guitar was a '73 Gibson SG, the third a '71 Tele, the fourth a '61 Strat (the trajectory was pretty steep on that trend). That was it for about 22 years. From that point to now there have been over 200 more (most, including the SG, the Tele, and the Strat, are now gone). I was (once again) asked how many guitars I owned, my wife was present at the time, and for some reason I answered honestly (perhaps it was because a lawyer asked me) "Around 3 dozen." I haven't (so far) been killed in my sleep, so I guess I'm good.

17. tremelo68

tremelo68 Gretschie

May 23, 2011
    Boston
    Hard to see, but that black Tele is an 81 Bullet (USA model) that I spray painted flat black. That is my first electric. The one I am holding is my second and is some kind of Teisco/Japanese full hollowbody, known in my band as the FeedbackCaster. This picture was around 1992. My first guitar was a 49 Gibson L50 and I had a DeArmond monkey on a stick for it, but I wouldn't call it my first true electric. That Bullet is an excellent guitar with a lot of Tele in it but a slightly different tone of its own too because of the configuration (plywood body, one-piece metal pickguard with incorporated bridge, mustang pickups).
    1909955_104892504613_7504136_n.jpg

thunder58 and rockinforJesus like this.
  18. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    You all look so young.......... in monochrome! :p

19. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    My first electric was a big mistake. I traded a perfectly good little Yamaha acoustic for it. Neck like a rubber band, terrible frets, aweful setup, wouldn't get in tune much less stay there. Of course I was ignorant on how to set up a guitar and could barely tune one, much less a cheap Japanese hollowbody with a floating bridge. I kept it about 6 months.
    Univox Coily
    IMG_1258.JPG

thunder58 and rockinforJesus like this.
  20. svenslim

svenslim Gretschie

Jul 28, 2009
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Sigma SG.JPG Sigma SG style, made in Japan in late 70s, I bought it used in 79 I think. Apparently made under a period when the brand was owned by the Martin Company, hence the M at the top of the headstock, they sort of supervised the production. I never liked it and did not really play much electric until I bought my fantastic Stratocaster early in 1992. Still don´t play the Sigma very often, less than an hour per year, simply because it doesn´t feel nice or sounds interesting. But it was my first electric!

[​IMG]