Join Gretsch-Talk Today

You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by fraz, Mar 12, 2018.

1. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    So I recently started performing a cover of Dead or Alive's great song from 1985; You Spin Me Round (Like a Record). Whenever I throw a new song into my repertoire, I like to make a video of the song; so that's just what I did.

I have to say, this was probably one of my more ambitious videos. It was simultaneously shot LIVE with (4) cameras. There is a drum track that was created on my Arturia SPARK. I added two electric guitar parts (using my Gretsch G6129T-RDSP-LTD15 Red Sparkle Duo Jet).

Just to note, this is the first video I used my Lag Tramontane TSE701DCE Acoustic Guitar. I have two Lag acoustics, and even though they are made in China, they are beautifully made nice sounding acoustic guitars. The one used in this video has Snakewood sides and back (which is really striking). You can see some of the grain of the Snakewood in many of the video shots.

I have to say I am very pleased with the drum track. It is very simple (using 8 different patterns in total), but I think the effect processing I used gives it a Lo-Fi sound that sits well in the mix.

Last but not least, the Red Sparkle Duo Jet was used clean throughout the track playing strummed chords typically every 2 measures. It was also used with overdrive during a break in the song.

So that's it. PLEASE give this one a listen. Even though you will never get that 4 minutes back again (if you make it that long), you really should check it out. You just might like it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    filtersweep, Gimper, Joe90 and 8 others like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Great job Fraz , enjoyed it . I like the way you threw the Red Jet in there too

3. brownie

brownie Synchromatic

Oct 29, 2013
    Spain
    Nice one Fraz and you're right about that drum!

4. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I would rather here you playing that creative cover in a bar than listen to the original!

I have heard many people "creatively cover" songs I dislike and never want to hear again- but they do it so well, it actually make me LIKE the song... at least THEIR performance of it!

5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Love it, Joe! The arrangement, accompaniment, video, etc...

Next you need to do it in drag. :D

Joe90 likes this.
  6. speedicut

speedicut Country Gent

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Nice!
    Great vocals BTW, you really nail that song!

7. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    NOOOO!!!!!
    :eek:

8. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    Glad you liked my revised version of the song.

I think I will pass on the "drag" thing, but maybe I could wear the eye patch like Pete Burns in the video.

9. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    I'm with you, Brother!

larryb likes this.
  10. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    [​IMG]

12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
  13. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks Rich. I thought a few people here might like to see that guitar.

thunder58 likes this.
  14. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thank you sir!

15. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks Eric. Glad you like it. I am actually playing this Friday night with COMPLICATED (which is REDLINE without Dave), and we are going to play this right into "I Was Made For Loving You" by KISS. Should be fun.

ruger9 likes this.
  16. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the kind words. It was a lot of fun to record this one.

The vocals will actually get much better as I play it more. I only played it out twice before making the recording, and it just gets easier each time you do it.

17. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    I'm glad it was fun for you. It was definitely fun for me. Even though I recorded the song in a different arrangement then the original, it's hard not to think about Pete Burns in the original Dead or Alive video when you sing it.

18. fraz

fraz Synchromatic

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thank You Sir!

19. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Definitely need to get out to see you guys! The vids on FB sounded good!

My new band's 1st rehearsal is tomorrow night, looking to be playing out this summer...