You Can Go Home Again (Musically Speaking)

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Synchro, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Road tunes! With a 5000 mile drive ahead of me and a meager 4GB of storage on my San Disk Sansa I knew I would have to choose carefully or I'd get pretty bored when driving through the wide open spaces of New Mexico and west Texas.

If I were ever accused of being a musical chameleon I would have to plead guilty, I tend to cover a lot of ground musically everything from Rockabilly to Jazz with stops along the way at Country Rock, Blues and even Classical. (The folks that heard me blunder through Mozart's 40 when we jammed up at Jukebox's place may dispute that last category.) Still, I find myself most drawn to music I heard when I was in my 20s; Eagles, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Firefall, Steely Dan etc.

With this in mind I loaded the MP3 player and set out for my first day's drive which took me from Tucson to the extreme northern reaches of the Texas panhandle. At the end of day one I dumped some of my roots Rock (sorry Cadillac Angels, I still love you but for some reason t just doesn't work for me as road music) and concentrated on finding some late '70s R&B such as the Doobie Brothers Michael McDonald era output.

Thus prepared I continued my drive refining my MP3 player's library continually adding more classic Rock. My great-nephew asked for some help copping Emerson Lake & Palmer's "From the Beginning" and that led me to purchase their greatest hits CD along with a number of others, all being road-tested along the way.

The net effect of all of this was to re-introduce me to some classic Rock songs that don't get much airplay on the classic Rock stations. When I got home I went on a feeding frenzy buying CDs for bands I had been aware of but had never investigated to any depth. I found, for instance, that Ambrosia did a lot of very R&B sounding material that never made the airwaves but is still very worth music. I tightened up my collection of late '70s Doobie Brothers CDs and bought greatest hits collections of several other classic Rock stalwarts.

At the end of it all I find that I'm still the same guy I was 30 years ago. I like to listen to many of the same bands and to the extent that I broaden out from just the greatest hits I am rewarded by finding 30 year-old music that it brand new to me. The sameness of sequencers and other synthetic musical instruments is not as common in '70s music as it became just a few years later. While I won't be so foolish as to argue that all of it was good I will sugest that the ratio of diamonds to gravel looks pretty good when compared to some of the more recent musical output.

2. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Well save them, because I have a place rented for next year.That way we won't have to worry about the weather. You can start passing that around,Pappy said he would even try and make it. So while your reliveing your childhood start makeing plans for your vacation, Anyone who wants to come to Northern MN next year is more than welcome. I have a nice place all lined up and everything. If need be I can also get a peanut gallery.There will me more info,the closer we get to next Momorial Day.

3. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That sounds great. I'll be there if it's at all possible.

4. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Default You Can Go Home Again (Musically Speaking)

Hey Mark -

About 4 or 5 years ago I started this search to replace the hundreds of LP's, Cassettes and R2R recordings that had long been gone over the years when music wasn't my focus.

Wow - what a journey!!! Initially it was Napster and other downloading sharewares, but ended up replacing much of it with purchased CD's or i-tunes downloads. The discovery evolved in to music completely forgotten and purchases began on almost anything and everything available from the 60's-70's and 80's.

60's - Folk, pop, British Invasion, Psychedelic, R&B, Blues,Surf, Blues Rock (w-horns) Way too many artists to list. ​

70's - Poco,Eagle,Steeley Dan,Doobie Brothers,Yes,War,ZZTop,Todd Rundgren, The Band,Steve Miller Band, Spirit, Boz Scaggs, Pink Floyd, J.Geils, ELO, Dr. Hook, Cars, Bob Seeger, BTO, Atlanta Rythm Section, .38 Special, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker Band and all the Ex-Beatles stuff. ​

80's - Alan Parsons, Don Henley, Fabulous THunderbirds, Fleetwood Mac, Robert Palmer, Fine Young Cannibals, Fleetwood Mac, Glenn Frey, INXS, John Cougar Mellencamp, Madness, Mike and the Mechanics, The Pretenders, Queen, Sting, Police. There are a lot of others I listed to and bought but above are my favorites.​

90's and Beyond - As my son started listening to music, I thought it best to check out what he was listening to. Audioslave, Joe Strummer, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sugar Ray, Tracy Chapman, The Corrs, Counting Crows, Gnarls Barkley, Hoobastank, Jet (1st CD), John Mayer, Los Lonely Boys (1st CD), Modest Mouse, The Vines (some of).​

Miscellaneous - THen I got into Crooners from the 50's and 60's and Jazz to some degree. Most recently on a limited scale - Dance, Techno and Funk. ​

:p My wife is very sweet and supportive of my GAS bouts as well as all the monies and time I spend seeking out, purchasing and listening to music. I never run out of music and I never mind going back.

5. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That's sort of how it happened for me too. I started listening to sample on Amazon and reconnected with a lot of music from my past. When I taught, back in the late '70s, there was a record section in the store so I would see all of these classic Rock albums on a daily basis, Supertramp, Queen, you name it. When I saw them again on Amazon I recognized the cover art and found myself buying all of the albums I'd seen back on the rack. Most of what I bought at the time were pre-recorded cassettes which had a limited life at best so the originals are long gone at this point.

Now, I've accumulated a prety decent collection of classic Rock titles from the '60s throught the '80s but definitely weighted towards the releases of the late '70s. They've all been ripped to .wma files and I have over 12,000 songs in my collection at this point. The biggest dilemma is deciding what to put on the mp3/wma player's limited memory space.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  6. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I have a 2GB Nano and a 20GB (2nd Gen) i-pod and had to always deal with the same decisions. What do I put on now/next. It got old, so I just ponied up $249 and bough an 80GB i-pod. Heck it even plays movies. I just loaded my whole collection on it.

He-Heh...No more decisions...just Music!

7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I've thought about it but I'm actually pretty attached to my SanDisk Sansa. It runs for days without a recharge.

8. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Don't Blame you. i-Pod Batteries aren't very good. You could have a Sansa for each decade...THen you never run out of music or batteries!

9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That's a great idea, I might just do that.

10. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Hey if there is a way to spend money on music...I can find it.

11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I'm blessed with a similar talent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice