Yet another impending NAD!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by TSims1, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    The AC10 is one of Vox's better ideas. Like many inexpensive amps, its biggest weaknesses are tubes and speakers.

The AC10 comes standard with cheap Chinese tubes and a Vox branded speaker that sounds pretty good but is not terribly efficient. But....

Replace those tubes with Tung Sol 12ax7 (2) and JJ EL84 (2) and the tone improves dramatically. Better yet, Eminence is now producing their famous Red Fang speaker in a 10" ceramic version and wow, is it great!

It does add a pound or two to the little AC10 but the Red Fang sounds simply amazing and is so efficient it lifts the little AC10 solidly into the realm of an AC15. It allows the little AC10 to easily hang with a drummer and pours tone into your ears in buckets.

Vox hit a home run with the AC10. These two inexpensive mods will move it to another level.

Congrats brother Sims on a great little amp. Try these two mods. Thank me later. :)

Outlaw, pmac11 and Lizardkinged like this.
  2. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    But, so modified, does it sound “Vox-y?”

3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Absolutely. I had originally acquired the Red Fangs to make a 2x10" cab for my AC30 head. I side-by-side compared them to 2x10" Celestion Golds and they held their own very nicely. Big Vox sound. Thought I'd try one in the AC10 and I was very impressed. Big, clear Voxiness with a significant increase in volume and all around better tone. It isn't comng out.

MTurner likes this.
  4. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Have you tried one of these limited versions with the brand new V-type junior speaker? It’s KILLER. I definitely won’t be swapping the speaker in this one. It’s LOUD and big and warmer. I love it.

Tubes though, yes.

Tony65x55 and Lizardkinged like this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    Truthfully, I have not. I have a 10" V-type in my speaker pile and will try it. It came out of a Princeton Reverb. It only takes a few moments to change a speaker out in the AC10. Let ya know what I find. :)

TSims1 likes this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Tony!

I've always wanted a Vox amp,but i have no room ,and can't justify it when i rarely get to plug these days.
    I nearly got an old 60's AC30 back in the late 80's ,£180 ,but the shop was selling it for a customer and wouldn't do the old ,money down and the rest when they catch ya deal.;)
    A well,i'd have only sold it in the end as my back got worse ,and then there's the two hernias!

7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Congrats, Tony!