Yet another bridge replacement question

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Rockhead, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    Looking to swap out the bridge on my 5220 to one without the retaining pin. Getting a bit of rattle noise when I play. Looking at TonePros or something similar for around $50. They have quite a few on Reverb priced right but not sure which one I need. I don't want to have to pull the bushings out if I can find one that screws right in. Am I looking for 6mm, 4mm posts? Doesn't have to be TonePros. Gotohs maybe?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

PS

Is all that rattle just from the saddles? I'm used to the Tele bridge so I was surprise by how much play is in the bridge and tail piece unstrung.

Thanks!

2. Marktheblues

Marktheblues Electromatic

Feb 4, 2019
    Northwest England
    Sorry can’t recommend a replacement. The bridge and stop tail on mine certainly isn’t the best quality in the world but don’t have any issues with rattles etc. I know the guitars are made to a price point but the hardware on these guitars are quite cheap and nasty.

3. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Measure the posts. There is a fairly big difference between 6mm and 4mm. 6mm is very close to 1/4" and 4mm is smaller than 3/16" You should be able to 'eyeball' this.
    Personally I would go for a roller style of any build.

sh4rkbyt3 likes this.
  4. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Rockhead,

Here is a simple tip which works well for nulling the backlash in the bridge installation :

Use an adhesive aluminium foil like the one used for rockwool insulation joints. Note that the glue on it must be conductive enough, since it guarantees the grounding of the strings.

[​IMG]

The pictures below are not from my G5220LH but I used the exact same method and product, so I can assure you that it works ! ;)

1 - Wrap a small ribbon around the stud posts to null the backlash between posts and bridge. You may have to search the right number of turns to achieve proper thickness.

[​IMG]

2 - Do the same with the studs threads.

[​IMG]

Usually, just one turn, or at max one turn and a half is enough to do the trick.

Nothing is visible on my G5220, and it is perfect for Bigsby use...:cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A+!

new6659 likes this.
  5. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    Good idea with the aluminum tape. I wouldn't think it was thin enough to try on the threads but I never used it before. I will have to check some auto supply stores to see if they have it. I have the copper shielding tape but would rather use the aluminum so it won't show.

I don't have a bigsby so I figure a roller bridge won't be necessary.(?)

Thanks for the replies!

hcsterg likes this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, copper may be OK, but I'm just suspecting its thickness to be a bit too much o_O. But why not ? Sure, Aluminium won't be seen. Here in France, we find that "Plasto" alu adhesive ribbon in DIY stores for the home and building (I think I paid 15 Euros for a 100m lenght / 100mm wide roll). No doubt that there's an US equivalent... ;)

I tried first to use non-adhesive alimentary aluminium foil that I have on hand in the kitchen, but it was way too difficult to put it in place and have it stay while assembling the parts...

And yes, if you don't have a Bigsby, no need for a roller bridge. :cool:

A+!

wabash slim likes this.
  7. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    Definitely want to take this root and not have to replace it. How about saddle rattle? Is there anything that can be done with the retaining wire to reduce saddle movement?

Thanks again!

8. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    A few dabs of low strength threadlocker (e.g. Loctite 222) will tighten up any rattling saddles, and still allow you to make intonation adjustments in the future.

hcsterg likes this.
  9. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    I thought of that. Was afraid it might become permanent. Is that the red one?

10. Dave-B

Dave-B Synchromatic

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Don't go by the colour - high strength 270 is also in a red bottle!

Just make sure the label says "low strength".

11. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    Thanks!

12. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    That's right...

Red loctite --- Permanent. That %*#& will NEVER comes loose no matter what!
    Blue loctite --- Very very strong. Used in firearms, rifles, scope mounting, etc... Can be used in a Bigsby T0M bridge, but after you absolutely make sure your intonation is dead on.
    Regular loctite (Green) --- A better alternative, where it will hold a Bigsby ToM bridge saddle secure, but you can still (with effort) adjust the intonation.

13. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Alternatively borrow your wife's clear nail polish. It doesn't have to be clear, but there's less chance she might notice and starts asking questions.

Dave-B, hcsterg and new6659 like this.
  14. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Rockhead,

I use standard Loctite Super Glue available in supermarket to do that. A tiny dab at the right place to brake the threads and that's done - still adjustable, but hard to turn, and no more backlash in the saddles screws.

A+!

15. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    Heard that too. would the saddles still be adjustable?

16. Rockhead

Rockhead Electromatic

Mar 3, 2019
    Delaware county, PA
    Too risky for me!

By the way, any idea how thick that aluminum tape you suggested is?

Thanks

17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I'll try to measure thickness. To have an idea, it's similar to alimentary alu foil.

A+!

18. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Well yes and no. If you turn a screw the connection breaks. After you've made the adjustment you simply use a small dab to lock it again.

19. 8mm is diameter of thumbwheel that screws in to the bushing set in my guitar body's center block, right ?
    And the actual bushing diameter is 11mm with a 11mm drill bit (brad point) recommended to put it IN.

I am taking the 8mm thumbwheel to a hardware store right now . . .
    and about to get a similar thread but inches long bolt to put in the bushing -
    to then pull it OUT for the bridge mods underway here.

Best of luck in your modding adventures.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice