Yay! 1977 Committee 7628 :D

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Firstly, I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this one, please feel free to move if so...

I actually grabbed this one a few weeks ago but just got it back from my luthier friend:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As fate would have it, I ran into this one at the local GC the day after I sold my Caribou. It's got some dings and wear, needed a couple high frets replaced, and had some really screwy tinkering done to the wiring but even w/ that I couldn't put it down and the price was very right...

With the requisite fretwork taken care of it feels and plays great, The neck is still kind of a slim C neck profile but feels more substantial and not quite as flat as the other couple of Committees I've had my paws on. I'm not sure how tall the frets were when these rolled off the line originally but they feel like they now sit just a bit taller the Gibson fretless wonders on this one. These seem to combine to make it tied w/ the '78 LP Special DC for the fastest playing guitar I own. The action is really nice and low and has the snappy/reactive feel I really like. You've got the same kind of restricted access to the highest frets on this as a lot of other Gretches, but it's still pretty easy for me to access all the range I need for some of the high chord work.

I haven't exactly identified the vintage and model of the Bill Lawrence in the bridge but man is it a treat for all things rawkin and dirty w/ tons of output when dimed, what seems to be a whole lot of range w/ very nice cleans as you dial back the volume, and really amazing clarity and detail however you've got it dialed. The stock neck pickup actually seem to do a nice job blending w/ it in the middle position but seems a bit dark/out of place switching over to it alone from the bridge. Someone did some kind of messed up stuff to the wiring and the tapers are all screwed up on the volumes, the tones are effectively on/off switches (and had one of the caps replaced w/ a diode ?!), and the toggle is on it's last legs so I'll probably be rewiring at least a bit as soon as I decide if/what I want to swap the neck pickup (for). Early candidates in the running have been another Bill Lawrence, a HB form factor Powertron +, and the stock zebra BurstBucker 3 I pulled out of the Joan Jett Melody Maker in favor of a '57 + a while back. I'm assuming it would have originally been wired sort of standard 2V, 2T LP style? I'll probably stick to the same layout w/ maybe the addition of a blower switch (although I'm not sure how the the Bill Lawrence will react to that, I get the impression it may have a bit too much bite w/o the load of a pot hanging off of it).

I think this one is cool enough to hang around for quite a while as nothing more than a collector, but semi-ironically (?) it seems like it could slot really well as a primary axe for the hardcore band if we can ever get our stuff together again...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    zebulon, Ricochet, benjwri and 4 others like this.
  2. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I like it. Hippy sandwich, metal knobs. I like that there isn't a lot of binding.

Whats the scale? 24 1/2.

How does the neck binding hold up in this era?

The Guitars of the Fred Gretsch Company book chapter title for these is Too Many Cooks... Who were the committee?

Is there a schematic out there?

This would get a Bigsby and Filtertrons so fast!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  3. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of yours, I certainly do with mine.

4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yeah, I've always had the impression these didn't get much love, either when the were released or as the years rolled by, but I kinda like some of the ugly ducklings of history myself and actually find it to be a pretty beautiful and well made guitar. The stock HBs don't seem super exceptional in any of the ones I've had the opportunity to try but not bad by any means and they're pretty easily swapped too.

It's 24.5" scale, binding has had a couple issues on the three I've checked out in person, but this one actually seems to be holding up well w/ just one minor repair and the rest of it in tact and fairly healthy looking.

Gonna start looking for a schematic now that the essential have to fix issue (replacement of the 15th and 16th frets and relevel/crown accross the board) is taken care of, but might just wind up going for the standard '50s style LP approach if I don't have luck there.

5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Love these. Congrats. How's the weight?

6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Sid!

Ya don't see many of these around ,maybe due to that fact that they weren't that popular back then.
    Back in late 80's early 90's there was a strange looking solid body 70's Gretsch in one of my locals, it had a maple neck and blade type pickups ,i often wonder where that thing is nowadays,ugly as sin though,but so is the TK 300 and i want one of those just for the laugh.:D

[​IMG]

7. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    I like it a lot . Did you say 1977 ? Thats my year . In fact my High School 40th reunion is this Saturday ...... man , those were the days

8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks guys!

It's definitely got some weight to it w/ the walnut and maple, if I'm guessing I'd say in the 9-9.5 lb neighborhood. It seems to carry it very well though on the narrow, seemingly period correct strap that it came w/ though and I'm guessing will wind up being a bit less fatigue inducing than some of the Fender Teles I've owned ( and a lot less than my '92 LP Studio or 5620).

I think I'd have to jump on one of those TK300s myself if I ever ran into one at a reasonable price. There's definitely something about a lot of the misfit toys for me.

Yup, it's a '77. Seems very apropos of the time to me, but then again I was 3 years old so most of that impression is second hand.

Henry likes this.
  9. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Looks like a gigging machine, working man's guitar. Congrats!
    Is it neck through? Certainly looks like it.

10. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yup, neck through :) It's got a pretty great sound unplugged for a solid body. Notes just kinda seem to explode off of it.

11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I have to admit that I like it although I do not classify this as "classic Gretsch". Cool find and decent condition. Congrats, Sid.

12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Cool guitar, congrats Sid!

13. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    Looked at one of these several times...I like it. Simple but yet a little different with the laminated body. Only thing I would change right off is the cover plate for the wiring....clear doesn't work here (for me). Then I'd look for some Gretsch pups and the wiring. Wouldn't bother with a bigsby.
    This item looks in good shape...congrats on a great find!!

14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, certainly different!

15. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

Congrats Sid! I know it's not the standard Gretsch direction, but it's kind of cool in its own way.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  16. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Sid, I think we have pretty much exactly the same taste in guitars. You are my brother, and you are doomed.

17. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Finally got around to rewiring this guy over the weekend:
    [​IMG]
    Nothing all that exciting, just 500K all around w/ .022uF orange drops wired up 50s style. Aside from the PITA of trying to squeeze everything back into the super form fitting cavity it was an uneventful process and everything's sounding and working great.

18. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Congrats Sid. That is just Bad@ss looking!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice