WTB Vintage B6 Bigsby

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by dskup, Oct 15, 2010.

1. dskup

dskup Electromatic

Oct 12, 2010
    Minnesota
    Can anyone help? I'm looking for one with some patina to match the worn hardware on my country club.

I've read the early discussions about artificially aging a Bigsby, but I'd prefer something vintage.

Thanks!

2. dskup

dskup Electromatic

Oct 12, 2010
    Minnesota
    Forgot to mention.... it's a '58, so I'm thinking I should go with the standard (non-V) model?

3. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    That (enamel-faced B6) would be period correct, as the V-style wasn't introduced until 1960.

4. Lz_69

Lz_69 Gretschie

Aug 6, 2009
    BC, Canada
  5. dskup

dskup Electromatic

Oct 12, 2010
    Minnesota
    That's it man, thanks! It is priced a little high, but it's all there. I guess I was getting a little too specific with my search words.

6. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    RE: Ebay Bigsby - I guess I would have thought a Bigsby from the 50's would have had either a slotted (earlier) or Phillips (later) hinge bolt. The plain bolts (like this one) came in early in the 60's so it's probably still of the period you're looking for.

7. dskup

dskup Electromatic

Oct 12, 2010
    Minnesota
    Oops. Wish I would have seen your last post earlier. I already bought and paid for the ebay Bigsby. Can I just get a different hinge bolt? Which one is the most correct? My guitar is a 1958. I've read that a Bigsby was offered as an option, so I was hoping to make it correct for that year. But I'm going to use an undrilled hinge and match the orginal tail piece holes anyway so the whole thing can be reversed if need be.

8. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I sent you an e-mail the other day, so I could answer some of these questions for you. Did you not receive it? It would appear that if your guitar is in fact a '58, the bolt should be slotted. Although the Bigsby was an option (on any Gretsch model I imagine)... it was pretty rare for a Club to have one outfitted at the factory. Most we see today are after-market additions.

9. dskup

dskup Electromatic

Oct 12, 2010
    Minnesota
    Thanks for your help. Apparently I'm a little slow. I just now got your username... clever.

I did not get your email. I'll look for it, maybe it ended up in the spam folder somehow. Thanks for sending it.

And thanks for the info. I guess if it's close in vintage, it's ok. The main thing is I want one with a little wear and tear. The one I just bought seems perfect.

Do you have any recommendation as to how I would validate the "complete originality" (as stated by the seller) of my Club? The serial number puts it in '58, and I have the matching factory cert. The dimensions are all correct, as are all the physical characteristics that I have been able to find on the Gretsch Pages. Should I take it to a vintage shop? Buy one of the Gretsch books? Post here?

One thing I find interesting is that the binding is yellowed more in some places than others. In some spots it's fairly bright. Is this possible if it is all original? I posted on particular spot in my photo album, on the neck heel.

10. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I'll send you another e-mail now... the authentication of your guitar is exactly what I can help you with. As far as the binding, some guitars show yellowing where the players sweat and/or hand oils came into contact with the binding. Areas that didn't get contacted stayed whiter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice