Wound 3rd

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by jfassett, Feb 12, 2020.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I use wound 3rds as well. I'm not a string bender, so, I appreciate the more solid tone.

2. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Central ON Can
    I have (3) flatwound .020" strings if anyone wants them (d'Addairo)

3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Thomastik made (still makes?) a wound 18 gauge. Even in my mighty hands, it was a dog to try and bend. So no more wound Gs for me; I gave up on them and have never looked back in years.

4. Gr8guns

Gr8guns Electromatic

Aug 2, 2019
    Johnson City TN
    I recently changed the strings on my Electromatic 5622, and the intonation on the third string was off quite a bit afterward. I had to shorten the string length only on the 3d, even though I went from tens to an eleven set. The wound third made a very positive change on the sound I was looking for. I tend to pull a plain third string with lighter gauge strings out of tune. I’m too heavy handed for light gauge strings. If your intonation is spot on with a wound third you may be off quite bit after going to a plain third. It may be off enough to warrant a bridge change. I have found that a quality strobe tuner , such as Peterson, makes adjusting intonation much easier and more precise than needle or static bar tuners.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    shrews824 likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I prefer wound for feel and sound but with flatwounds I use plain as they are easier to bend.

6. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    On my Breedlove acoustic, I have one of each!

(One wound and one unwound G string, 12 string)

7. shrews824

shrews824 Country Gent

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    You know, I made the change to the plain 3rd and the guitar did not play as well. I went from an 11-49 set with a wound 3rd to an 11-48 with a plain 3rd. I truly believe that with the old school vintage bar bridge that guitar "wants" a wound 3rd or a heavier gauge string. Let's put it this way, I switched back to the wound 3rd and it was like the difference between night and day. If I were to move to a plain string again I'd have to make the change to a different bridge to have it play the best it can.

Honestly though, it still seemed to intonate well. The problem seemed to be some buzzing at the bridge that was getting on my nerves.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice