Would you pay for online live concerts?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by englishman, Mar 19, 2020.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    After our concert was cancelled we thought of a live-stream, too. We intended to finance it via voluntary donations. Quite sure that this would have worked over here. We already drummed up some funds from a local bank and other institutions that support local culture.
    But the situation got so serious that we do not even rehearse anymore because every social activity is shut down. So we dumped the idea in the end.

2. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I would. I mean, we spend a ton of money in music-related items that this for me wouldn’t be much different than buying a song on BandCamp or put some money on a fundraising to help someone who’s van has been stolen on tour (it happened to me many times).
    Problem is, I’m very, very picky about music quality (and I’m not talking about execution or craftsmanship or sound quality, I’m talking about the very essence of r’n’r which is heart, soul and sometimes guts) that I would end up skipping many of the offers, the bigger (bands) the more. Internet is already full of material of the biggest bands, there’s no reason to pay for see them play what they’ve already done many times in the past (and that you probably already experienced live). I think it could be a great idea, but the way to fully exploit it it’s long, long way to come. Remember that: great music has always been a)dangerous b)barely legal c)for the few. You need that at the very beginning to become something the people would want to be part of it, and I don’t think that streaming could change that.
    Otherwise it’s Trap music. :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  3. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    No and I have a strong feeling that when it came time to pry open wallets, most people would say no thanks, regardless of what they say now.

Hammerhands likes this.
  4. Capsid

Capsid Electromatic

Mar 12, 2020
    Kalamazoo
    Yeah. I wouldn’t pay unless it was something that I just had to see. If I were you, I would put on a nice free live show for your followers. I know there are apps that allow you to do both at once, but you could get two phones and live stream to FB and Insta simultaneously. I’d be sure to run a few different advertisements/posts at least a week before you do the live stream, or you might be playing for only a couple of people. Good luck!

5. gfirob

gfirob Electromatic

Jul 5, 2019
    Rochester, Vermont
    We have a local musician, very well loved, who has a little club where he and others play, and he had regularly been streaming performances when the club was open. So he started streaming himself playing with a paypal address on a poster next to him, and he has been doing well. But people know him and love him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice