Would you pay for online live concerts?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by englishman, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Gretschie

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    probably not a 1 off but it was a similar platform like netflix and all that for $5-10 a month with constant new shows then yeah i'd consider it.

2. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Do you have, like, a more detailed offer of what would be to expect, so we'd know and be able to judge?

Like ... who, how long, quality of transmission, general info on the band(s), maybe something to be seen as a sample to match taste, ... ?

3. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I would certainly consider it, even if it were a "No-Name" Band. There is nothing like live music, and I prefer live, but since everything is on shutdown, why not? Pay for view has been around for a while, to me it is just another version. If the "concert" was good, maybe offer a CD for those who would like to see it again.

4. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    The New York Met does this with their opera productions and it is quite successful.Tix are about $25 for live streaming, and they show on huge local theaters all over the world, live. They include short interviews with the performers, and you actually get to watch the performance as if you were up front. Well worth it.

It wouldn’t work for Gary and His Garage Band, but for $25 I wouldn’t miss a live stream of Horton Heat or Setzer performance. I’d go to very one! Plus the band can have its 100,000 audience attendance in Boston, for example, and at the same fans in Berlin, London, Tokyo, Paris, and all over the world can see it at the same time. "Being there" at the actual site just isn’t worth the cost and aggravation any more.

I agree to the value of live music, but if I have 60,000 people between me and the stage, or even 150 people, it loses its magic.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Sorry but no.

FWIW I’m not much of a concert goer anyway.

6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes, I would - of course, price matters. I won't pay big bucks to see any band, but for a friend or a local band, sure I'd pay a few dollars.

I was actually going to start a music pledge thread to encourage people to buy new music from new artists, but with people getting laid off . . . .

7. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    new6659 likes this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Nope. Living in the boonies costs enough already for any type of TV and internet service.

The competition isn't intense like the cities, so costs are higher.

If it's not already on a channel that I get, then I won't end up seeing it.

9. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    It depends on the artist. For example, Tommy Emmanuel's show scheduled for May 1 at the Berklee Center has been postponed. It's a bummer but I obviously understand the need. Moreover, for a guy who tours as voraciously as Tommy, I truly hope he postpones his tour dates for a while as those of us who adore hm need him healthy. If he were to livestream a show I'd pay for it in a second. I'd also pay to view something like The Dukes of September. But for most acts, I'd probably pass.

My new band, Panorama, a Cars Tribute, is trying decide of we can put on a free live stream. None of us have much experience in doing it and are in contact with some local venues that have had to shut down in the hopes that they might be willing to share the effort and cost. We realize that at this point, no one would pay to see us, but think a free show might get our name out there a bit.

The sad fact is I think live stream shows might become the "new normal" for a few months, before life can
    return to some semblance of normality.

10. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    When you consider the number of recently unemployed I think it would be a hard sell. Me personally I wouldn’t.

11. We had a string of local gigs canceled these past few weeks, which led someone we know approach us about this. But not a pay per view, but a live a stream of the band. Not sure if it goes through a face book page, or a bands website. Apparently you announce it somehow to however follows you, and you live stream where ever your playing. People can tip online if they like, but there’s no fee to watch. So its kind of the same as what’s being discussed here, but not. If i can find a way to get decent picture and sound, my wife and will do it from our yard stage. I just dont like one camera shot for an hour. Need at least three, and if the video is choppy or blotchy, that would annoy me as well. I will let ya’s know what’s developed.

12. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    This is essentially what churches(including ours)are doing, but obviously for free. We go into our empty 3,000 seat sanctuary and have church. It’s filmed and recorded and shot out to the world via the website, Facebook Live, and YouTube streaming.

13. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    That‘s maybe the future.

14. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    our church has started live-streaming service also.

One example of a live "concert" streamed as a fundraiser: streamed by Westfield Mayor Shelley Brindle,

The Goo Goo Dolls' lead singer held a porch concert to help local small businesses impacted by coronavirus
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/us/goo-goo-dolls-porch-concert-trnd/index.html
    "The concert was streamed Friday on Facebook Live and Brindle said people tuned in from all over the world. The launch helped raise $25,000 for local businesses and unlocked a $15,000 match from the Westfield United Fund, an organization created for monetary relief after 9/11 and was also used after Hurricane Sandy. "

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 6.01.46 PM.png

I can't read the headstock, but sounds a lot like he is playing a Martin. (ToneWood amp not needed) raising $40,000 for a short four-song set, not too shabby!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    new6659 likes this.
  15. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Electromatic

Feb 17, 2010
    St. Louis
    Depends. Not as a general rule, but.

A friend of mine from another site was supposed to be on tour right now but everything got cancelled due to Covid. He did a "Live from the Living Room" thing tonight on FB streaming. There is a tip jar and I just gave 10 bucks. That goes directly to him, not a promoter etc. (And I don't have to pay 8 bucks for a beer.)

wabash slim and GlenP like this.
  16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I stopped going to concerts decades ago when I could no longer see top people at places like the Troubadour or the Fillmore.

I attended a few big concerts and decided no more.

I would pay for a live online concert if prices were that of a movie ticket, not like what live concerts cost now.

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It would all depend on cost and camera coverage.

18. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  19. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Like A pay per view?? Depends on the act and amount...
    Mostly no...cuz it would probably be big bucks per household, something like ultimate fighting does...
    If there was a rockabilly/psycho billy/ old country/ alternative With amateur and pro acts, with videos and live concerts ..then I’d be interested...but then again not if it was run by corporate toads like MTV’s S sandwich in the 80s

20. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice