Would you pay for online live concerts?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by englishman, Mar 19, 2020.

1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    We are trying to generate revenue at the studio and we have been thinking about doing some kind of pay per view for live streaming performances.
    I'm not sure how I feel about this, especially the concept of people paying for no-name band performances when they can get the best bands in the world over at YouTube.

What say you?

2. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Generally ... yes. I'd do that.

Not every possible time of course ... I'd decide case by case.

3. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    Yes, I would. I am in Northern California- we are all Sheltered-in-place and starving for entertainment.

4. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I would - I've seen some great live stuff already online.

The Grateful Dead and Company concert was streamed live a while back and I just happened to catch it and it was great. Would I have rather been there in person? Sure. But even so, it was a really good show. It all depends on how they're filming it too. Often you get a better view than you would in the audience.

TubeLife likes this.
  5. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I would, at a reasonable price, and if it's well done for big name bands. Frankly, at concert prices and poor viewing and sound, I'd rather buy a DVD of a tour than live much of the time anyway anymore... No name bands? hmmm... likely not. Exception: Smaller concerts in theatres of known mid level artists etc...

Tadhg likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Tough call. Best sound and augmented and virtual reality involved, then yes, for any band I like, huge or small. I’d pay something like 20 bucks for the fun of it. 30 maybe for bigger acts, but nothing more than that. The novelty of something new in tech/music enjoyment would allow one to ignore they are taking a chance on a new band they may have never heard before, much less like. Similar to when I take a chance at the local joint for beer and a show, and catch something I end up enjoying and later buying their album.

7. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    You might consider having free preview clips -- maybe one song -- that would allow the potential purchaser to decide if they wanted to pay for an entire show. I honestly don't know if that's a great idea, but it could bring people in.

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I wouldn't - not for no name bands.
    There's too much on youtube for free :D

For big name bands I love maybe if it was like $1-2

9. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    No. A live concert is a total experience, not a video on the screen. For the latter I'll buy DVDs.

MentalTossFlycoon and RG7X like this.
  10. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    I wouldn't, most likely. A video doesn't replace a live concert for me. There are so many videos on YouTube, of unknown and famous bands and singers, that I don't feel the urge to pay to have more. When I really like something, I try to find it on DVD and watch it on TV (my TV is an old one, so anything coming from the internet has to be watched on the computer, which I don't really enjoy that much).

MentalTossFlycoon likes this.
  11. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    I'm afraid for an unknown band there are not a lot of people willing to pay per view. But a guitar shop around here initiated a project because of corona where musicians play mini concerts live from home on facebook and people can donate via paypal - kind of a virtual tip jar.

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Kinda sad nobody wants to shell out for lesser known bands. I mean, don’t people want to support that? You know, guitar players/music lovers? We all take chances on a show, and yes, I prefer a real show, but that’s the thing, ideas toward keeping heads above water in times like this. Just long enough until Atomic Cafe opens at Thunderdome /Bartertown.

mrfixitmi and englishman like this.
  13. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Unfortunately and realistically.....no.

Robbie likes this.
  14. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    No...but if I was a band I might pay to have a video made of my live performance ?

15. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I wouldn’t, unless it was 1 of 3 or 4 bands, but I would probably watch commercials.

16. stormsedge

stormsedge Gretschie

Feb 28, 2020
    E. Tennessee
    No...but I'd have a look when Netflix buys your series:).

Capsid and TSims1 like this.
  17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Creative idea. I'd support a fellow G-Talker!

18. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    You gotta be known. That’s the bottom line. You gotta already have a built-in following that loves you so much they’ll hand over their money. AND, now......you gotta do it in a time where people are holding ON to their money with white knuckles.

Luxuries decline during these times, necessities go through the roof(as we all see). Live music and paying for it is a luxury. Keep thinking though, you’re a smart guy. You’ll figure out something.

Waxhead likes this.
  19. Skibbers

Skibbers Electromatic

Feb 21, 2020
    Minneapolis
    Unfortunately no. With people on lockdown, wallets are on lockdown too.

benjwri and hogrider16 like this.
  20. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Much also depends on the quality of the video. I'll turn off ANY cell phone video because the sound sucks, and the person holding the phone either can't hold still, or is a mile away---for even a well know group.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice