Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Would love to hear your favorite streamliner tones...

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by MrClint, Nov 27, 2017.

1. MrClint

MrClint Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    I'm just getting started playing my Gretsch G2622 through a Mustang I v.2 amp. It would be great to hear some of your preferred tones and/or how you have things setup. I'm starting to like playing in the middle position with volume on the neck pup turned way down and tone down just a bit. This seems to sound good with a wide range of downloadable presets for my amp. Any sound links or descriptions would be welcomed.

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

MrClint, I don't have a Streamliner, so I can say much on this thread, other than . . . welcome to Gretsch-Talk MrClint!

3. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

Welcome MrClint.
    I've had the Streamliner G2655t for 18 months and absolutely love it!
    After much 'knobbing' around, I've found the rather 'cheapish' pots have limited effect.
    I've 'locked off' the tone dial roughly in the middle, Neck and Bridge Pups flat out, and the best change in tone then comes from the 3 pickup switch positions.
    They give totally different, and very usable tones depending on what I'm playing.
    I also tinkered with subtle adjustments to the PUP heights, (Playing with the 2x screws on the PUP housings... I ain't touching the ones under each string)
    I've now got pretty much all the sounds I love.
    They really are amazing Geets for the $$$
    Enjoy!!! Cheers Mark - QLD Australia

section2 and MrClint like this.
  4. JimB1122

JimB1122 Gretschie

Dec 15, 2016
    Silver Bay, Minnesota
    Agreed. The tone pots don't do much. I turn up the pup tone and volume knobs all the way. Then, use the master volume and pickup selector switch. That gives 3 distinct tones.

section2 and MarkyMac like this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    With the Mustang i stick to the Fender amp presets.

6. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    I thought the knobs were there for decoration! Everything is all the way up on my guitars all the time.

MrClint and MarkyMac like this.
  7. MrClint

MrClint Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    Funny how time flies when you're having more fun than 10 mofos. :D

I don't rollback the tone or volume on the guitar/pups these days. With a few pedals and the amp settings I can work with any bark/bite/twang or warble now.

It's been really cool dialing in various tones, riffs and general tinkering with this rig. The reverb, chorus, and delay settings on the amp allow me to match up well with a lot of songs/tones out there. I've yet to tinker much with CCR type tremolo sounds, Hendrix wah or that classic Gretsch tone. The latter might take a downloadable preset or going for a single coil type of sound with some reverb? It will certainly take some focus and effort.

Lots of anti-modeling amp chatter here and there, but I'm not feeling it. Nothing can be all things to all people, but for $100 bucks there's an awful lot to work with and to like. And man, this thing can get LOUD at volume level 5 and above.

BTW, thanks for the warm welcome and input. Great group of folks here.

section2 likes this.
  8. ta11geese84

ta11geese84 Electromatic

Dec 15, 2017
    TN
    I’ve got a 2622T, and it sounds really nice with my Blues Jr. III.

-Drew

Godin 5th Ave. Custom
    Gretsch 2622T
    Fender MIM Telecaster
    Simon&Patrick CW6 Cedar
    Squier Bass VI
    Martin LX-1

9. MrClint

MrClint Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    The BJr III fat channel sounds really nice. Go fat or go home. :)

I'm still dialing in a bunch of tones with my Mustang I. No regrets for this practice amp and none for the Streamliner either. It's all good.

adkteleman likes this.
  10. MrClint

MrClint Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    Here's my clean tone from the middle p/u:

11. MrClint

MrClint Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    Bridge pickup with some dirt:

Note: I've learned how to fade out in Garageband now. LOL

MarkyMac likes this.
  12. Willie D

Willie D Gretschie

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    https://soundcloud.com/williedeuel/amazing-grace

A rough take of a jazzy version of Amazing Grace, recorded with the 2420T neck pickup direct into a 1975 Fender Vibro Champ, recorded with a Zoom H2 about 7 feet away, in an empty church sanctuary at night.

MrClint likes this.
  13. MrClint

MrClint Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    C'mon streamliner buddies! Let's hear some more of your tones. Here's another one from me:

14. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    One day!!! There is one hovering on Craigslist.

The G2420 is the only Gretsch I am lusting after right now....I know, I know...It is one of the most affordable models and I have had some of the best prolines....but that non-Bigsby, sunburst, fat PUP, fat body sound is really speaking to me...

Johnny ray, pmac11 and MrClint like this.
  15. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

MrClint likes this.
  16. MrClint

MrClint Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    @MarkyMac , nice tone! The MojoMojo pedal has some nice scratchiness to it.

Here's a quick track testing my new audio interface. Bass and drum track is from a Trio Band Creator pedal. Guitar lead from my Gretsch G2622, consists of a compressor pedal goosing a Donner Alpha Force High-Gain pedal:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-35496968/minor-blues-turnaround

MarkyMac likes this.
  17. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

This sounds great mate. Are the drums/bass from Garageband? Fat Bass sound goin' on there. (BTW your Geet sounds just fine)
    Cheers Mark

MrClint likes this.
  18. MrClint

MrClint Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    @MarkyMac , I was playing along with a killer backing track on that video. Go to my video in YT and you'll see the link to the backing track. Give it a go and post your version here.

I convert YT backing track videos to mp3 with an online converter and then import them into Garageband as a track in a project. Then I just wail away with a new lead track in the project. Easy as pie.

johnny g and MarkyMac like this.
  19. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Gretschie

Cool. I'll check it out cheers.

20. johnny g

johnny g Gretschie

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I think the Fender Mustang 1 is a very under rated practice amp. My gretsch 5420t and telecaster sound great on it. Love all the presets and I use just a little reverb with my acoustic
    guitars. Enjoy it. Great buy at the price point.

MrClint likes this.