Would it be possible to fill a fret dimple?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Ricochet, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Found a Gotoh and Schaller Floyd Rose in storage and you know what happens next. Find a matching guitar!
    So picked up a early '80s Fernandes The Function Strat, for less than any Squier. Forget Burny, early '80s Fernandes is where it's at, right up untill they changed the headstock shape.

Looks ok, but smells like your grandma and is in need of a good polish. Examination of the fretboard revealed a funny home repair job. The first fret had a large dimple which the previous owner tried to fill with super glue...

Crappy pic. Note the greenish spotfill on the first fret and that little spill of glue on the fretboard. Oh joy.
    AE81DDA1-62E6-43AF-96B4-515DA23D071E.jpeg
    After rolling my eyes, I actually started thinking would that be possible? Maybe not super glue, but one if those moldable metal repair kits they use on cars, maybe even solder it? Not feeling the alternatives.

2. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Of course it's possible.
    Smid3_openluchtmuseum.jpg
    You just need the right tools.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Refret is the only option that'll last.

4. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    If it's just the one fret shouldn't be too difficult to pop in a new one and level as necessary.

Sid Nitzerglobin and Ricochet like this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Yeah, this is the way to go. The other frets look pretty good, oddly enough. Still wondering if it can be done though.

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That`s the way to go. Refret the first one. That should be really cheap, Rich. No problem for a luthier.
    Aint these old Japanese guitars great, Rich.`?
    I used to buy them for a song some years ago. Tokais command a higher dollar than some vintage Fender nowadays .

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'm sure there is a way that is much more expensive, time consuming and risky than just replacing one fret.

I think any fix would wear down very quickly, I can't imagine it can be as strong as a regular fret unless it is reforged as noted above.

Ricochet likes this.
  8. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I'd replace it, too.

It may be possible with some two-component stuff you use to fix holes in aluminium housings, like gearboxes or so, where welding isn't always a good idea (bearings can be misaligned after welding and stuff alike), and these holes should be well prepared, too, to make this last. But to make a fret repair with that stuff as good as possible, you'd have to invest more time than to replace a fret, and still end up with something worse.

It will fall out of its gap, as there's hardly any contact surface. This is something to do when nothing else is available and this guitar has to work right now.

Pfusch, ganz schlimmer Pfusch!

sh4rkbyt3 and Ricochet like this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    It's crazy Frank.

IMO early '80s Fernandes guitars are still a cheap alternative for a US made Fender allthough the prices are obviously hiked up by their owners. Particularly the Revival series is worth checking out. All the classic models mimicked in detail. Around this time they were even made by Tokai. Gotoh hardware, only the electronics needed replacing.

Funny tidbit about this Function strat I got. Fernandes were one of the first production guitars to place 2 humbuckers in a Strat back in '82. The first Contempary Squiers with double HBs only came out in early '85 or so, and judging by specs and knob placement were exact copies of the Fernandes Function strat. :)

loudnlousy likes this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I got this for a rebuild with a Floyd Rose and some Suhr Doug Aldrich humbuckers.
    I received it in unplayable state so I wanted to test it’s potential first. In my estimation this guitar is about 35 years old, so removed the worst of the grime buildup first. Pic has not been doctored!

86445A8C-6ACD-45CA-AD44-94B288EB6A1B.jpeg

Oiled the fretboard, changed the black trem for a chrome one(also from a Japanese Fernandes), two chrome knobs, strung her up.
    Yep, not there yet, but definitely potential.

8B6DF935-52C3-4B8C-A55F-EC04DC53213B.jpeg

DennisC and sh4rkbyt3 like this.
  11. sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3 Electromatic

Mar 8, 2019
    Elkton, MD
    2nd chance at life/play ;).

DennisC and Ricochet like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice