Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Worst strings...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by stevo, Oct 11, 2017.

1. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    You mean the winding around the ball? I'm curious about this and why.

2. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I had the gold acoustic ones on a Taylor Koa guitar. Not the greatest tone at all, but they of course lasted forever. I knew there was better tone, but I couldn't bring myself to take them off.

3. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    You tried them I assume. What was so bad about them?

4. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Country Gent

Dec 22, 2015
    Texas
    They leave black crap all over your fingers and are not slick at all.

stevo likes this.
  5. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yuk! If I want black crap all over my fingers, I'll go work on my car.

LongJohn likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Funny you mention this about Martin . When I bought the guitar I was for some reason very impressed with the strings that were on it . I asked the salesmen about the strings , he looked it up and told me what was on the guitar from the factory ..... so I bought a set .
    Martin Lifespan SP phosphor bronze - MSP7200 Medium .013 -.056 . Back of package states " made in Mexico " .
    As far as who's strings are made where ..... DR Strings are made in Jersey not to far from me over the NY border as I've met the owner ( he needs to go to public relations school as he's not that much of a friendly wow the customer type of a guy ....lol ) The cooperate headquarters for D'Addario is is an hour from me in Long Island but where the strings are actually made beats me . I tried to get D'Addario as a sponsor for a bluegrass festival I helped put together . They politely told me it was a busy time of year but sent me about 60 sets of strings to give out ( guitar , banjo , mandolin ) and they also gave me 10 " string winder tools "

wabash slim likes this.
  7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Synchromatic

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    The black crap seems typical to ~90% of the strings I've tried though for the first 2-3 hours of play IME. I think they've got a good slinky feel personally, but to each their own.

The strong suits of these and the M Steels for me are the enhanced attack over the pure nickel wounds (DR Pure Blues/Gibson Vintage/NYXL) and the life span. They're certainly not for every guitar, on brighter ones w/ a lot of attack to start w/ they can be can be a bit much. It's nice not needing to change the strings after a week or two of steady playing like most of those nickel wounds though. It especially hurts w/ the NYXLs at ~$13 a set (+~$1.80 per G string on the Gretsches/other big hollows) but I haven't found another readily available make that I can get an .018W and like the feel of yet.

8. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Country Gent

Dec 22, 2015
    Texas
    I play elixirs. Best strings by far imho

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I always found that d Addarios feel pretty rough to my fingertips.

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, I apologize for my suspect explanation (it would be more easy to describe in French :oops:).

It's not the winding around the ball (or ring) itself, but the braided attachment lenght just before it :

Here is the section I--------------------------------------------------------I
    [​IMG]

Tinning (lightly) this section I---I avoid wire slipping or de-braiding, a problem that occured quickly on my Mosrite VibraMute tremolo. So I generalized the process to my other trem (and even non-trem) guitars.

A+!

Bertotti likes this.
  11. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thanks for showing this. Only on trebles?

12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    No, I do it for all 6 strings.

A+!

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was trying to google this because not to long ago I was reading there were only a handful of companies actually making strings and all the suppliers get their strings from that small pool of producers.

zebulon and thunder58 like this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I call that area the twist. I haven't had an issue with this unwinding or loosening but now that I have a Gretsch I tend to use the bar a lot more and I am playing a lot more so it might be needed.

15. MarkyMac

MarkyMac Electromatic

Yep. Totally agree. The 'new' DD NYXL's are the bomb. - (On my Streamliner G2655t)
    They stay in tune, sound great, and seem to last without getting 'gritty' and scratchy as they start to age a bit (hate changing strings with the Bigsby).
    Oh yeah... and the packet looks really cool.

zebulon, Bertotti and audept like this.
  16. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The A string on my thomastik flats exploded at the twist. Never happened to me before.

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I know D'Addario is the oldest maker---400 years or so starting with violin strings. I use theirs, and I've used G.H. Squire strings (now GHS) for years, mainly because they were local )Battle Creek, MI) and easy to find, and, I've had good luck with them. I think they once did, if not still do, make Fender's strings.

Any opinions/suggestions on acoustic or nylon strings?

18. PDogga

PDogga Gretschie

Jul 3, 2011
    Perth
    I have also recently being converted to the NYXL strings. I assumed they were just a marketing ploy but I finished up trying a set almost by accident and really liked them.

Bertotti and audept like this.
  19. russmack

russmack Gretschie

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Yeah.

For my acoustics - Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanowebs seem to do the job.

Okay, there are those that would disagree.

But, to me their initial brightness seems to stick around until about twenty-hours solid playing.

Then, things seem to unravel fairly quickly.

As far as nylon goes, back a while ago (years ago) I found that La Bella worked pretty well. Who knows what's around these days?

Russ

20. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    For nylon, it depends on what you're doing. For "serious" classical, I really like Hannabach "carbon" trebles and Pro Arte bass strings.

As for coated acoustic strings, if you like the Elixirs, you might also like the D'Addario Exps which don't seem to sluff off their coating but sound the same as a new Elixir - maybe better.

russmack likes this.