Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Worst strings...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by stevo, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    GHS Boomers. Ball ends always snapped for me.

I find DR as a brand overrated. Haven't liked anything by them ever.

zebulon likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Think I'll try these D'Addario's next on my Martin HD - 35 ....thanks

3. Bertotti

Bertotti Synchromatic

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    As I ponder this there were strings I tried and just can't remember the names of but on my Martin I have never used anything but the recommended Martin strings. I love them and have never had any desire to shop around but on my electrics I shopped around a lot.

What would be very interesting is to see whose strings are made where, as I understand it there really are not that many string manufactures. I would also be curious to know how many are using the same strings and just repackaging them under their name and how many actually use their own metal mix.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    thunder58 likes this.
  4. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    For stretching strings I took a roller string tree, screwed it on a piece of wood dowel for a handle, and run it up and down the strings a few times with some upward pressure. Go over it and retune a couple times and the strings are nicely settled in a few minutes rather than days.

5. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Vintage ones.

Kitvin713 likes this.
  6. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    Gotta have that vintage tone though

7. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I love Martin strings for about a week or two, then they go downhill. Since I don't play my acoustic all that much, I like a coated string there. EXP16 from D'Addario. They don't have that funny looking snakeskin effect like Elixrs do.

8. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Elixir Optiwebs. Hated them. On one tele-type guitar they were painfully bright.

9. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    This made me look up "guitar string stretcher". Low and behold, such a thing exists:

http://stringstretcha.com/index/index.php

I do the same thing up and down the neck with my fingers, so probably won't be buying this.

10. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Country Gent

Dec 22, 2015
    Texas
    Those new ernie ball paradigm strings are garbage

stevo likes this.
  11. Junior94

Junior94 Electromatic

Jul 29, 2017
    Texas
    My dad used to brag about how good black diamond strings were. I always wanted to try a set thinking the were the bees knee's. I guess I'll stick to what i used.
    If any one remembers Walmart made some guitar strings. I bought a pack a couple of times those things were bad... But the tone for the first day and only the first was heavenly. It was like phosphor bronze but more piano like. But like i said tone lasted the first day and died. And about a week of moderate use the windings would break off on the low E string. Cheap guitar strings and come to think about it they are the kind of strings that come on those guitars that come on the shopping networks channels. Y'all know the one. It comes with a guitar, a case, an amp, back up strings, a cleaning cloth, and instructional DVDs, a $1500 value yours only for $199. Wretched guitars

12. afire

afire Country Gent

[​IMG]

The old Pyramid Gold hex-core flatwounds. Worst strings ever. Ungodly stiff, completely inconsistent with the wound strings ranging from completely dead to just a hint of sparkle. And $20-$30 per set depending on who's ripping you off.

I don't know if they even make them anymore. I've heard that the new round-core Pyramid Golds are much nicer, very similar to Thomastik Infeld. I have no doubt that change solved the stiffness problem, but after the consistent inconsistency I experienced, I'll just stick to the always excellent, slightly cheaper Thomastik Infelds for my flatwound needs.

stevo likes this.
  13. wilblee

wilblee Synchromatic

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    A friend once opined that Black Diamonds were designed by someone who lost his girlfriend to a guitarist.

Pretty much my experience as well.

I like the sound and feel of Pyramids, but when I tried them I had to pull from three sets to string my guitar because of all the dead strings, so I leave those alone now.

NYXLs for me.

zebulon and wabash slim like this.
  14. zebulon

zebulon Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    oxford
    worst electric guitar is DR anything suck
    acoustic is the cleartones or elixr polywebs lifeless

15. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    +1 on the Ernie Ball Cobalts. Rough/old feeling right out of the package and seemed to be pretty scooped in the mids w/ a pronounced and to me unpleasant "zing" quality to the highs. I only tried them on one guitar so maybe they'd work better w/ others? They did seem very stable, well assembled, and seemed to last for ever... I really like the M Steels and Paradigms though and they both seem similarly well assembled and long lasting. The M Steel still have a bit of a scoop but a very nice quality to the attack to my ears. The Paradigms seem very even in response and feel very nice to me.

GHS Boomers are awesome as burner strings IMO (like when you know you're going to unstringing/restringing a bunch of times when you're putting a new one together/etc.) when you can find them at Best Buy for a dollar a pack. Not much good for anything else...

NYXLs seem to have a good feel and a nice sound but seem to wear out and divot way quicker than just about any other string I've tried.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    stevo likes this.
  16. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    May be my issue as I don't own either. Nothing but Gretsches and Gibsons in my stable

17. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I dislike just about any brand of "coated" string. I have a pet peeve about how the coating breaks down and begins to "fuzz" rather quickly. I've never been able to discern a true advantage to using these strings.

18. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Black Diamonds were made in NJ if they're the ones i'm thinking of, my Aunt worked there.
    I used D'addario xl .10's for most of my life, the xl Ny's are allright.

19. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, you may be surprised, but I never really hated any strings... Simply because I never used nearly anyrthing else than Dean Markley (red sleeve) and Ernie Ball (orange sleeve) 10-52 LT Top HVY BTM for 35 years !

I would consider the Dean Markley superior to the Ernie Ball in terms of life expectancy, though.

I always solder-tin the string braided lower attachment bout for better tuning stability, since nearly all my guitars have a tremolo.

You may argue that I don't know what good strings are : you're probably right ! But these two Std. String sets fills my needs, so...

A+!

20. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thanks for the input on the M-Steels and Paradigms.

BTW - GHS Burnished Nickel (now called Burnished Nickel Rockers) are really nice for Srats and Teles.