Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Worst strings...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by stevo, Oct 11, 2017.

1. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    A lot of threads have come out asking about favorite or best strings. I generally use D'Addario XLs or DR Pure Blues, but every once in awhile, I venture out.

Here's a thread about strings you've not liked. What strings have you not liked?

Here goes:

- Just tried DR Veritas: Absolute worst strings I've ever put on my Gretsch. After two days, they haven't settled into steady pitch. The tension is lower than normal and I had to raise my action. The trebles have this funky coating that feels terrible. The tone is okay, but they have all these transients that sound terrible at initial attack. I don't know what DR was thinking with these strings.

- Ernie Ball Cobalt: They sounded okay and stayed in tune relatively well. But the wound strings feel grainy and dry under your fingers. Won't use these again.

Next up: May try the M-Steel from Ernie Ball

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I absolutely hated some strings that had some sort of coating. I think they were nanowebs. Just couldn't stand them, had some flatwounds, can't remember the brand, that didn't do anything for me as well. Ernie Ball strings I find ok but I always loved D'Addario Xls that is until I tried the NYXL now they sound flat when I try them next to the NYXL. SO worst nanowebs best NYXL.

PDogga and MarkyMac like this.
  3. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    Anything Ernie Ball.

5120mantis and thunder58 like this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm not a fan of Ernie Ball strings either.

The worst, though? Anyone remember Black Diamonds?

5120mantis, Robbie and thunder58 like this.
  5. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Fencing wire in guitar string packets? :eek:

wabash slim likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Baling wire. It doesn't have the barbs, but it rusts faster.

mike fried and audept like this.
  7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Synchromatic

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    It's threads like this that keep me just buying D'Addario.

8. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    OMG, they were really bad!

9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    I won a five pack of NYXLs at the Gretsch Round Up. Kept two sets on two guitars for two days and cut them off. Gave the rest away. I hated them but they weren't badly made.
    Super Slinkys work nicely on a Strat or a Tele. Wretched on a Gretsched.

arty likes this.
  10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    If someone makes me take some I'll mail them to you.

11. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have also had poor experiences with DR strings, several years ago. Never again.

Still have a rather large cache of these... got some of them through past roundups, and bought some in bulk when MF was blowing them out a couple of years ago. I love all the flavors-- have different sets on different guitars depending on the axe and my personal taste. Rumor is that they were made by D'Addario, but I cannot confirm this.
    Pity they don't make them anymore. the 11-49 set is probably my favorite, but the flatwounds are quite nice too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But when it comes to Acoustic, This is far and away my favorite set for Flat-top acoustics... I've used them for over 20 years. Have tried others, always come back to the old reliable EJ19's.

[​IMG]

12. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Enetai, WA
    Yes, I remember those. Wasn't impressed.

13. Bertotti

Bertotti Gretschie

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I must confess the first day I founf them harsh but decided to beat the crap out of them a couple days. And glad I did because after a day and a half they settled in nicely. I think I need to do a better job of stretching when I put a new set of these on.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 7:38 AM
    audept likes this.
  14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Synchromatic

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    And I'll happily take you up on that. :D

Tony65x55 likes this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Harley Benton strings. Regular and coated. IIRC they were €2 and €2.50 a pack respectively... :D Maybe my ears are tuned to D'Addarios, but it felt like they wouldn't intonate.

16. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The only good thing about Black Diamond strings is that you could find them most anywhere.

They're the reason for the remark, "played till your fingers bled".

17. heinzman

heinzman Gretschie

For me, Ernie Ball Slinkys please ! D`Addario XLs do eat the skin from my fingers ! =8-O

18. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Don't remember them but does anyone remember " Nashville Straight " ?

19. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I remember breaking the high E on my first guitar in 1973 and going to the music store and asking for the 'thinnest string'. Back then, this music store was kind of highbrow and the sales guy was clearly perturbed to have to dig me out that Black Diamond .10. Only one of those I ever used. I switched to RotoSound because they came in those way cool round colored plastic containers that unscrewed.

On my current 'dislike' list is the Elixer Nanoweb. Not because they are expensive or sound or play poorly, it's because they don't hold up to multiple tensioning and detensioning. When setting up a new build I often have to tighten and slacken the strings several times. My usual Super Slinkies have no problem with this (within reason) but the nanowebs just fell apart after just a few times. It's for a customer build so I've got to use them :mad:

20. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I'd forgot about Black Diamonds...horrid things