World Series

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by section2, Oct 30, 2019.

1. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    This has been a fantastic series so far, and the Nationals have just forced a Game 7. What a treat for baseball fans.

This series has already set a few records. Some firsts:
    • Stephen Strasburg of the Nationals just became the first pitcher to go 5-0 in a single postseason.
    • Juan Soto of the Nationals became the youngest player to hit three home runs in a World Series, and the first player to hit homers at two different ages in one World Series. (He was 20 when he hit his first homer of the series, and 21 when he hit the next two.)
    • This is the first time in *any* major American sport that the home team has lost in the first six games of a championship series. They've played three games in Houston and three in Washington, and so far, the home team has lost every time.
    • If the Nats win tomorrow, it will be the first time a team has ever won the World Series without winning a single game at home.
    I'll be tuning in for Game 7 tomorrow. Anyone else?

drmilktruck, r0de0 and Groutsch like this.
  2. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Great Series, I agree. I’m not a fan of either team, but I’m rooting for the Nats. On to game 7!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    section2 likes this.
  3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Same here. I'm a born-and-bred Blue Jays fan, but it's been a few years since they've played ball in October. There's a lot to love about these Nats!

pmac11 and r0de0 like this.
  4. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I’m currently located in a Marriott that’s 5 minutes walking distance from the Minute Maid Park. Yesterday has been a frenzy with all the city of Houston wearing the orange and yellow of the Astros.
    Not a big fan of the game itself, but I enjoyed it from my room. Too bad that tickets were sold out.
    We’ll I could tell from the hundreds in the lobby or in the sports bar at lower level that yesterday has been a huge disappointment, but to be honest I’m happy to leave today. Tonight there’s either gonna be big drama or absolute frenzy in this district, and I’d love to put me on some distance away from it.:)
    Nice game though. I have to say that games like this, mostly based on pitching and hitting than on some strategy plots, are much more enjoyable.
    What can I say? Go Phillies! :D

section2 likes this.
  5. r0de0

r0de0 Gretschie

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Yep. Money's on the Astros. <American League Reps> Although the born again Expos are okay with me.

6. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I'm a HUGE baseball fan, and even though neither of these teams is one I regularly root for, it has been a fantastic (although weird) series so far. I want the Nats to win for a few reasons:

1. The Nats used to be the Expos, and my all time favorite player, Gary "The Kid" Carter used to play for the Expos when I was a kid, so I have a real soft spot there.
    2. I live in Dallas and rooting for the Astros goes against my grain because of the Rangers/Astros rivalry.
    3. Bryce Harper left for HUGE money that the Nats used to pick up the players that got them to the series (Corbin, Sanchez, Suzuki, etc.) . Nothing against Harper, I just think it was a brilliant stroke of management.

I believe that the Astros are a better team and they really should win tonight, but that's not how sports always works. I would love to see a wildcard team win the series again, and beat the season long juggernaut that was the Houston Astros. It's just really fun baseball to watch.

Groutsch, drmilktruck and section2 like this.
  7. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I lost interest when the Dodgers went down. :(

r0de0 likes this.
  8. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I have a question for you fellas: why teams do substitute their pitchers during the game? I mean, I’m aware of substitution on games like basketball or soccer that are a much more physical game, but I always thought that a pitcher was the equivalent of a quarterback in football, somebody which guides the team’ and you never took out of the game unless it’s either injuried or plays so poorly to need a change... is it a strategy? To match up with the other team’s hitting pack?

9. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    There are a few reasons to pull the pitcher:

1) Baseball isn't the most physically demanding sport, but pitching is very hard on the arm and shoulder. The arm wears out after about 100 pitches (roughly 2/3 of the way through most games). After that, the pitcher usually starts losing speed and accuracy, and he risks doing long-term damage to his body.

2) When a batter faces the same pitcher more than once in a game, he starts to grow accustomed to the pitcher and gets better at hitting his pitches. Statistics show that pitchers are much more likely to give up hits when they face the opposing team's batters three or more times in a game, so it's often best to pull your pitcher before that happens.

3) Matchups are an issue too. Right-handed pitchers fare better against right-handed batters, and lefty pitchers do better against lefty batters. If the next batter is opposite-handed and it's a crucial moment in the game, the team will sometimes replace their pitcher to ensure a lefty/lefty or righty/righty matchup.

4) Decades ago, pitchers used to go deep into games, and often the starting pitcher would play the whole game. In recent years, it's become more common to let the starter throw the first six innings or so for the above reasons, and then put in a new pitcher every inning after that. But sometimes the starting pitcher is just having a terrible day and needs to be replaced early in the game. Occasionally that happens in the first inning. Those games are usually disasters for one team and a whole lot of fun for the other. :D

Jelly Roll Horton and r0de0 like this.
  10. afire

afire Country Gent

The first MLB game I ever went to was an Astros game (last season at the Astrodome), and I lived there for a while, so I probably should be rooting for the Astros. But, I have a tough time not rooting for the underdog, so I'm pulling for the Nats.

section2 likes this.
  11. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Oh, I almost forgot:

5) In National League ballparks, the pitchers have to bat. Pitchers are almost universally terrible at batting. If the team needs a hit at a crucial moment in the game, and it's the pitcher's turn to bat, the team may replace the pitcher with a skilled batter. But a player can't re-enter the game once he's been replaced, so the team will have to put in a new pitcher to throw the next inning.

stiv likes this.
  12. stiv

stiv Synchromatic

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Thanks section2. I should have guessed some of the reasons... pitching is really stressing for the arms, especially if you have to face some monster like Soto :)
    It makes a lot of sense though, it’s better to have your best pitcher fresh when the game is on the line. I guess quarterbacks are one of a kind in sports. They have a whole team just to protect them

section2 likes this.
  13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    It's also part of a plot to make games last even longer. :D

section2 likes this.
  14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    For unclear reasons I developed an affinity for the Montreal Expos growing up in the 70s and have held onto them as a second team to the Twins.

It may have had something to do with their red, white and blue pinwheel hats: [​IMG]

I just checked out this great book from the library:

[​IMG]

When they moved to Washington, I was not happy as the city and team were screwed over by their then owner and MLB. Plus they should have been called the Senators (the former name of the Minnesota Twins in one incarnation and the Texas Rangers in the other.)

But now I wear my hat and jersey proudly and say, Go Nats/Expos! Screw Bryce Harper.

section2 and not_man_davo like this.
  15. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
  16. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Gary Carter is indirectly responsible for my ultimate career choice. I loved him as a kid, so when I decided to play baseball I wanted to play catcher like my hero. in my 3rd season, we were getting big enough for pitches to top 70 or so, and I took a fastball to the mask which dinged the mask pretty hard and came closer to putting out my eye than I was comfortable with, so I quit baseball after that season and focused on my art.

I wound up going to Art school and I have been an animator and advertising creative director for over 20 years now! All thanks to the kid. well, that coupled with the fact that I was slow, inaccurate, and just not a very good ball player to start with. But I credit The Kid with my ultimate success.

drmilktruck and section2 like this.
  17. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yep, this will be the one baseball game I watch all season. Go nats.

Groutsch and section2 like this.
  18. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I was disappointed when the Yankees knocked the Twins out of the playoffs this year. I've always had a soft spot for them. Although I've been a Jays fan all my life, I had a Twins cap as a kid and I wore it just about every day. We'll continue to see great things from them next year, I'm sure.

As for baseball books: I recently finished reading "The Bottom of the 33rd," a wonderful book about the longest professional baseball game ever played. (Guess how many innings.) It's one of the best baseball books I've ever read—well worth checking out.

drmilktruck likes this.
  19. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Economics has become a driving factor. Pitchers that can dependably make two (yes, two) or more trips through a nine man lineup without getting touched up get paid lots of money. Many small market teams can’t afford even one of these guys, let alone two or three. There are, however, lots of pitchers available that can make one trip through a lineup without too much damage. On a good day they can give you five good innings, maybe coughing up 2-3 runs. These guys are very affordable, so small market teams sign them in bunches and then combine them with hard-throwing young pitchers from their farm system that are under team control (read: very inexpensive). These are guys that project as starters, so they can hold up against both right handed and left handed batters and go multiple innings if needed. They can get MLB experience as low-cost relievers, stepping in after the 5th inning and covering 1-2 innings each in turn.

section2 and drmilktruck like this.
  20. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    I whole-heartedly agree... this has been a very entertaining World Series. This morning I watched Mike Barnacle make a great point on Morning Joe... in these divisive and turbulent times, Baseball, our national pastime, has come to our rescue by providing a welcome escape from the day to day reporting that may turn some off our stomachs.
    I realize that Baseball may have slipped from its place as the number one watched sport, but it is essentially American and an essential thread in the American tapestry.

I vividly remember my favorite World Series, the 1975 series that pitted my favorite team, the mid ‘70’s Red Sox against the Big Red Machine of the Reds. Arguably one of the best World Series ever played, it’s tough to argue that Game 6 of that series might be the best game ever played, capped off by Carlton Fisk’s era-defining home run in the 12th inning. Those who know it can close their eyes and see Fisk jumping down the first base line, waiving his arms towards the right, willing the ball fair, only to have it hit the foul pole, sending the series to a game 7.

Now we once again have one of the most exciting occurrences in sports... another Game 7. While I think the Astros are the superior team, I cannot count the Nats out. I don’t have a favorite so I hope Max is in good shape and Greinke has his good stuff, delivering us a great game.

If I were a betting man, I think I’d have to go with the Nats as they seem to be the recipient of the breaks that the Baseball Gods sometimes hand out in their mysterious ways. Either way, let’s enjoy the last baseball game we’ll see for a few months.

section2 and pmac11 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice