Wonder why he wanted this bridge ??

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Dragstrip Phantom, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Dragstrip Phantom

Dragstrip Phantom Electromatic

Oct 13, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    So I caught up with our in-house tech today @ The String Shop ( Bossier City, La. ). I wanted him to do a few repairs to the newly aquired 1960 6117 Double Anniversary. The guy is a pro and has a wealth of guitar knowledge! Well, he kinda went nutty over the bridge that was on this guitar. I have'nt even changed strings or anything, just been playing it. He seemed to really want it for some reason ............ anyone recognize anything "special" about this?

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=781&pictureid=10204
    http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=781&pictureid=10205

2. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    dang i couldnt tell you it looks like a pretty normal tune-o'-matic of that date to me. maybe it's older/rarer or something. we will see. we will have more posts in no time

3. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    My best guess is that his surprise was over the fact that that style TOM wasn't, to the best of my knowledge, not used stock on 1960s Gretsches. Perhaps someone who knows more than I can clarify, but I'm faulty sure that bridge isn't original.

4. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    note how i said normal not standard :p

5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Looks like an old ABR1. But I fail to see how that would leave someone excited.

6. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

Yeah, looks like an ABR1. Next time you take the strings off, check to see if it has "ABR-1" stamped on the bottom.

ABR1 was introduced in 1954, and from 1961 onwards they had a retaining wire to stop the saddles falling out. So it's probable that your bridge dates from '54 to '61 ish.

And, of course, anything connected with the words "Gibson" and "Fifties" changes hands for bonkers money.

7. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    I have a couple of those, the same type, Korean made, B1, B2 and Sung Il BM002 on the bottom...

8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Ah Korean boutique... I have a couple of those as well, about the same quality as a '50s ABR1 I reckon. ;)

9. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    I'll trade those 3 for 1 Compton :D

10. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    *That's it ! Early no saddles retainer wire... vintage gibson part = $$

11. Dragstrip Phantom

Oct 13, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    Thanks guys! Confirmed this morning after reading the replies. It's the Gibson ABR1. He does alot of restorations. I may have something to bargain with now !!
    Thanks again,
    Wayne

12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Since that comprises my entire collection of vintage & highly sought after Sung-IL rattle bridges it's not going to happen. But you knew that.

13. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  14. johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar Country Gent

Jul 10, 2009
    Canada
  15. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    Something tell me that the auctions like that one are nothing but a part of some price pushing scheme. I have seen some too, like a 40 year old 500k pot for 3-400 bucks, I mean...

16. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I had one of those bridges on an old Gibson.
    I broke a string on stage one night, the saddle fell out, I couldn't find it so I took the bridge off and threw it in the garbage can where it belongs.
    If I only new I could sell it on Ebay and buy another Gretsch with the money I would have kept it.

17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Well, that's vintage guitars for you....if you just spend $300.000.00 or $3.000.000.00 on a '59 Les Paul, I suppose $1100.00 for a ABR-1 is not that bad. It's still a POS bridge though.

18. Dragstrip Phantom

Oct 13, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    One of the saddles was hanging half out of the bridge when i got it. I lifted the string and set it back in where it should go. Thought to myself .......... who would string a guitar like this? Intonation is all wack-a-doo. Crazy though, I'll replace it with a GreTsch bridge, sell this to someone who really needs it and keep on kicking. This guitar has truly been a good buy!!
    Thanks again for all the info you guys!
    Wayne

19. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    I have to see what I have in that bag!
    Sung Il abr-1s has a steel string ovr the screws preventing them to fall out, a huge POS improvement:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice