Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Wiring / Control Scheme Help

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by spinwards, Aug 12, 2017.

1. spinwards

spinwards Electromatic

Aug 11, 2017
    Madison, WI
    I've been listening to a lot of The Reverend Horton Heat (and a couple of other psycho/rockabilly bands), and haven't been able to get that sound from my G&L. To get a little closer, I just ordered my first Gretsch, a G5435 in gold. No Bigsby, unfortunately, but I can always add one later. I should have it by tuesday.

Music is a hobby, and my wife gets annoyed if I have more than one guitar at a time, so I am selling my S-500 to pay for the Gretsch. I don't think that I will regret selling the G&L, but I will definately miss the ptb controls (master volume, treble, and bass), and I want to put them on the Gretsch once I have played it in. I have very little experience wiring up electronics and I have a few questions about modifying the circuit to work with the gretch pickups and factory control scheme.

In a guitar with ptb controls, The volume is a normal master volume, master treble control is a low pass filter similar to a tone control on other guitars, and the master bass control is a reverse taper audio pot w/ a small cap that acts as a high pass filter.

This is the circuit in my S-500 http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/S-500_schematic_blockdiagram.pdf. The S-500 has a few extra caps that are not found in other G&Ls with ptb controls. I assume that they are there to deal with the unique output of the mfd pickups.

This is page has a version modified for a Gibson style dual humbucker: http://www.seymourduncan.com/tonefiend/guitar/two-band-ptb-tone-control-useful-easy-cheap-awesome/

Do the humbucker cap and pot values from the second link look right for a Gretsch? I assume that I can just keep the master volume and tone pots in the Gretsch circuit and buy a new pot and cap for the bass control.

I would like to add a treble bleed on the master volume while I am under the hood, anything I need to watch out for? Which values should I use?

Assuming that the ptb circuit works conceptually, I still need to figure out which controls to use and what to do with the left over control. I was thinking an epi varitone control might be cool, or a tone stack bypass switch. I would love some ideas.

One more question. I don't have a lot of experience soldering. Is this something I should take to a tech, or should it be doable at home?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. Arky

Arky Gretschie

Feb 4, 2012
    Texas
    This might be something better for an experienced guitar tech, preferably one with plenty of pickup/electronic experience. I would find the guy and then explain the concept of what you want to have done. Furnish him with schematics, etc...

If you want to give it a try yourself, soldering is not too difficult to learn. I'm sure Youtube has some how-tos. For small wire, pots, etc you need a good pencil iron. A Weller WLC100 is a good one.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=weller+WLC100&_sop=15