Winter NAMM 2019

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Merc, Dec 13, 2018.

1. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    england
    The panther was probably one of the best playing but crappy looking proline gretsches I’ve played

It lefted me confused

Trash Kidd likes this.
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    ^This would be fantabulous! (I'd take one w/ Dynas too...)

Andrew Griffin, Merc and audept like this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    T-Armonds or Seymour Duncan Dynas would be a great option. Unfortunately the Gretsch standard Dynas are rubbish in my experience. I threw mine away in absolute disgust. Unuseable squealing horrors.

Sid Nitzerglobin and Merc like this.
  4. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Even better: buy one with a V stoptail, and outfit it with a B3 and a Towner bar! Worked like a charm on my 2655.

CaliforniaSlim likes this.
  5. section2

section2 Synchromatic

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Electromatic junior hollow-body. Ideally in Fairlane Blue.

Merc likes this.
  6. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Amen

JC higgy and Merc like this.
  7. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    I'd like to see an Electromatic 5420 (NO T) with single coil pickups done up in an old-school orange. I'd also like to see another acoustic Jumbo Rancher 12 string in orange with a nice, solid spruce top. I really like my acoustic jumbo Rancher but the Falcon 12 strings are a little too much bling for me.

Alberta_Slim and Merc like this.
  8. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Remember this joke Photoshop from few years back?

Billy-Bo Electromatic.jpg

ZackyDog, new6659, Floo and 6 others like this.
  9. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Wonder why we don't get the Bo in Electromatic form? Maybe they don't think they'd shift enough. Maybe they plan to move in a different direction to please a younger market.... depends a lot on what's trending I guess. Can't help thinking they shoot themselves in the foot a lot with recent designs. I used to be so excited to see what was new...but now I know it'll be blue and gold stuff, weird colours, clumpy V bridges etc.

Sorry, got a bit negative for a mo. C'mon Gretsch, give us back our rock and roll

RomanS and Trash Kidd like this.
  10. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    People on the Gretsch forums have been talking about Electromatic Billy-Bos for years but it's never looked like happening for some reason!

Merc likes this.
  11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Bring back the 6119 1959 RI.

Far To Many and Merc like this.
  12. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Electromatic

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Falcon in western orange stain with chrome hardware!

13. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Yes, I was joining in on those discussions, just thought I'd suggest a few ideas about why it hasn't happened. Maybe there's not enough of us. Pal had a nice build recently plus Billy Childish had a great one made with P90s, available but still expensive

Merc likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Do I ever .... and I never forgot it either . Thanks

Merc likes this.
  15. Alberta_Slim

Alberta_Slim Gretschie

May 18, 2018
    Ontario
    You beat me to it, except I'd want a Bigsby (not sure, but assuming the 5420 without the T was "no trem"?). Can't think why more old school appointments including G brand, western position markers etc aren't offered in the Electromatic line. I'm also thinking single coils wouldn't fit the 5420T?

AFAIK, the Gretsch I'd want doesn't exist at a price I could manage...but any info is hugely appreciated.

6124Bassman, Andrew Griffin and Merc like this.
  16. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It’s alright, we’ve all got our opinions. While I wouldn’t buy a high end Gretsch without a Bigs, I think the V bridge looks great for being a hard tail. It reminds me of Gretsch heritage from a V Bigsby and has more style than a straight hard trail.

I’m wondering which current colors don’t you like?

The only blue’s I’m thinking of is Fairlane blue which has a huge fan base, and the blue and silver 6118. Which I just played locally in a store and would buy it if I could swing it right now. The colors together remind me of a classy Custom hot rod (but I’m a car guy). It might not be for everyone but I like that they did it in something fresh and different then a green Anny (which I do like).

If you’re referring to the 135th in gold and metallic cherry... I admit I’m not a huge fan at the moment but am holding my final judgement until I see one in person. I like the cherry but not with the gold. But it might just not photo well. Kind of like a Green Anny, some pictures look great, others not so good.

I find my 125th Jaguar tan and gold in the same camp as for not photoing well. I never liked gold at all until I saw it in person. It works so well together I sought and bought a used one. I honestly can’t figure out if most people don’t like gold or if it’s because it’s not captured well in photo’s... I’ve seen these sell for as low as $12-1600 over the last few years and don’t get it. An Ebony board, nitro finish, TV Jones, pinned bridge, Japanese made Gretsch. I’m scratching my head on this one selling so low at times.

17. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    La Quinta, CA
    A dyna'd (Tearmond'd'd'd?) Jet with a big neck... Maybe something in that smoke gray with violet back and sides? With the cool script logo... and, and, and.... That I can afford? Asking waaaaaay too much, I know.

I really like the idea of the Electro Billy Bo and also any Electromatics with single coils again. Love my Dearmond 2000's in my 5127!

Merc likes this.
  18. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Good call. It’s one of the best instruments I’ve ever owned.

loudnlousy and Merc like this.
  19. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I personally think Gretsch is doing a terrific job in straddling tradition and moving forward. They have tons of trad models available, also well-loved designs that have been tweaked for the stage, as well as more progressive models like my new 6228.

I like seeing companies try new things that still fall within logic. Fairlane Blue really turned on the market. The electro Jet overhaul/upgrade has been incredibly well received, and my 6228 might be my favorite Gretsch tonally that I’ve owned(and that’s with Tim Shaw Broad’Tron BT65 Pickups!).

I think they are on a wonderful track and currently turning out some of the best production guitars on the market. All only my opinion of course.

20. Merc

Merc Gretschie

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Always loved it in Flagstaff Red. Though I don’t imagine that color coming back to the pro-line as long as it’s still on the Streamliner.