Winfield Tremor Video

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Winnie Thomas, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Love the amp, especially the tremolo on the opening song.

3. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Sounds great sir! You aren't making friends with my accountant. I have been told one Winfield amp is enough..... :(

... obviously need to hone my negotiating skills! I will be looking for Synchro's report.

cheers

4. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    A Couple folks asked about this amp, thought I'd bump the old link.

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    I didn’t watch this video, until just now, but there’s a reason for that. Anytime I want to hear a demo of a Tremor, I just flip the switch and play through my own Tremor. I’ve had the amp now for several months and love it more every day.

That tremolo is the best I’ve ever heard. It is a bias varying tremolo, which affects the power tubes and gives a very smooth, organic tremolo. It’s simply the best I’ve ever heard. Its circuit is similar to a Tweed Vibrolux or a Brownface Princeton, with the addition of an adjustable fixed bias. My particular example has a set of Tung Sol 6V6 tunes and a JJ 5Y3 rectifier. I provided these tubes myself, from my own personal tube stash, and they are fairly stiff, which is fine, because I am seeking clean. And clean I get. At band-practice/small-gig levels, I stay completely clean, with the exception of a bit of crunch if I really dig in on the lowest strings.

Because I am shooting for an early ‘60s sound, with an emphasis on Surf sounds, the Brownface sound really works for my needs. (If I want a Blackface sound, I plug into a Winfield Elizabeth and have 40 watts of the best Blackface sound I’ve ever heard, in a 35 pound package.) Surf aficionados tend to admire the Brownface sound, which was the latest and greatest of the Fender product line in 1962. This amp delivers that sound perfectly, which was the first thing I noticed when Winnie gave me a test play on the Tremor prototype. The Brownface Showman had a similar timbre, but included a feature known as “harmonic tremolo”, which some people love, but I find a bit unsettling. I literally get seasick from hearing it, which makes the lovely bias varying tremolo of the Tremor all the more desirable.

This is a very good-natured little amp.

Ask and ye shall receive. http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/nad-the-winfield-tremor.182487/

6. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    My mistake - I did see that write up. I'm still in trouble with the minister of finance! :rolleyes:

7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Sorry Vista
    Admin Post
    Tax refund time is upon us. :)

8. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    In a couple of months it is indeed! I will need to keep that in mind...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice