Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Williams and Walker Straps

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by dbirchett, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Synchro

Synchro As spoken about at Wildwood Guitars. :) Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    Mine is still in the wilds, finding its way here.

2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

My strap came in tonight, and after getting it on the Tennessee Rose and adjusting it, I am very happy with this strap. It looks great, adjusts to 54" (which works great for me), and the leather is soft and doesn't require any break in period. I usually use a 2" strap, but I'm loving the width of this strap with the Tennessee Rose. It's not that the Tennessee Rose is real heavy, but the strap makes this guitar feel effortless. I'm used to using straps with suede to make sure my guitars stay in position, but this leather strap does move slightly, so it's something I'll have to get used to. It's worth it, though.

Again, this one is the one I got, and at $6.00 off, it was a nice deal:

[​IMG]

Telechamp, thunder58, JHowdy and 2 others like this.
  3. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
    Very nice strap. I looked at that one too.

LivingMyDream likes this.
  4. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
    They said 54" but that is not usually a comfortable length for me. I'll have to take it off and measure it. My guess is that it is longer than that. It's definitely not doing a Gerry and the Pacemakers on me.

[​IMG]

5. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    I love my Walker&Williams "Texas" strap, it was comfortable right off the plastic bag it came in. But I am curious, am I the only one with a nose? Doesn't the new strap's shoe polish odour trouble you guys at all? I bet it comes from the leather dyes they use.

6. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
    It is not particularly strong and I like the smell of leather.

7. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Okay. Mine was strong enough to perfume the whole room :). But it got weaker within some weeks and does not bother me anymore.

8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Mine didn’t waft any particular fragrance. Maybe you got a fresh one? :)

9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I hear uncle Ted is taking pre-orders.

10. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Maybe :). My strap came in a tight, strap long clear plastic bag, which surely kept all the new strap odour in :).

11. Oldfingers

Oldfingers Gretschie

Nov 2, 2015
    Brainerd, MN
    7985C5B1-0460-44CF-8A75-228FC1BC843D.jpeg Here’s mine, a real nice strap for the money!

LivingMyDream and Ricochet like this.
  12. LivingMyDream

Mine came the same way, but I didn't notice any strong smell either. As Richocet noted, maybe you really did get a freshly made strap.

JHowdy likes this.
  13. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
    OK, I have a few moments to look at it more closely.

JHall55, I took it off and measure it and I come up with 53" the way I have it adjusted. Frankly, at that length, I'm surprised it fits as well as it does. But it is fine. I'm 6'2-3" and would balance an NFL offensive lineman on a teeter-totter so it takes a long strap to go around me. I have an extension but I have no need to use it. Perhaps that has to do with the size of the guitar and where the strap pins are located. Other guitars of mine might not be as comfortable. I just ordered a second one for my Electromatic 12; this one:

[​IMG]

It is listed as extending to 64". If that doesn't do it for you, you probably need to see a leathersmith. Unfortunately, when it comes to extra long straps, they are designed by Henry Ford and only come in black.

JHowdy, I am normally quite sensitive to smells. I bought a Guild strap off of eBay that was owned by a smoker and it reeked. A lot of Febreeze and sitting in the sun make it better. This strap tho' is fine from the get-go.

The back (top) of the strap is unquestionably leather. The material covering the padding does not appear to be. I may be mistaken but in looking at it in the holes and slots it appears to be man made. It feels more like leather than vinyl and appears to have some threadwork. But I may be mistaken. Whatever it is, it is comfortable and looks and feels fine. I'm fine with it.

This has been an interesting post and it seems like a lot of people discovered and purchased Walker & Williams straps. You'd think they'd give me a free one for my efforts.

LivingMyDream, Oldfingers and JHall55 like this.
  14. JHall55

JHall55 Country Gent

Dec 18, 2012
    Ontario
    Thanks! They look like great straps for the money. My straps run about 62” depending on the guitar...I’m 6’7” and not skinny anymore. I do have a great shoe repair guy in town who has done some excellent work extending some straps for me. I’m gonna go check out their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
    Looks like you could use the one that I linked or another with an extender. Unlike Levy, their extenders are quite inexpensive.

16. LivingMyDream

OK, I did take a close up sniff last night, and I do understand what you are talking about. If it had been stronger, it might have been a bit annoying until it calmed out.

17. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
    I received the second strap today, the one from post #53 above. The photo is a good accurate representation of the strap. It is a thicker and wider pad than the first . This time, the padded part is definitely leather but I'm not sure I like it any better than my first, shown in post #39.

It is quite the handsome strap. Much like similar Levy straps but is more supple than them. It should do fine with my 5422-12. These straps are beautiful, functional and inexpensive. What more could you want?

This one has more of an odor than the first and it is not as pleasant of an odor. That should go away with a little bit of time.

EDIT:

Going to add an additional comment or two. In looking at the difference between the two levels of straps here, the less expensive pro series and the premium straps, it appears that they are both great straps. Both are very pliable and comfortable. The premium seem to be a bit more durable: thicker leathers, deeper padding. The covering for the padded portion on the premium seems to be leather while on the pro series it appears to be a leather like synthetic. The pro series has some narrower straps while most of the premium straps go 3 1/2 to 4 inches wide. (Excluding the old style with the sliding pad). I have one of each and like them both. Good products.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 3:08 PM
  18. Synchro

Synchro As spoken about at Wildwood Guitars. :) Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Admin Post
    I have a bespoke strap for my Tennessean, made by BobKat and set aside especially for this guitar, if only I could remember where I set it aside. :)

19. dbirchett

dbirchett Gretschie

Feb 11, 2009
    Arizona
    Very cool. I have considered getting a carved strap by Bobkat but I have never gotten around to talking to him about it. Now I have more straps than guitars. Have to do something about it.

20. Telechamp

Telechamp Synchromatic

Oct 20, 2010
    Florida
    I've got that one on my Ric 360.

[​IMG]

LivingMyDream likes this.