Wild Setzer tribute on eBay.

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by JPD1, May 31, 2009.

1. JPD1

JPD1 Electromatic

May 29, 2009
    Dunnellon, Florida
    Don't know how many of you have seen this tribute to a tribute on eBay, but it's pretty wild. Lots of man hours involved for sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270395454619

2. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
  3. Krom5150

Krom5150 Electromatic

May 4, 2009
    Madison,WI
    I saw that too. A lot of money for a beat up Korean guitar. Still pretty cool though.

4. Raspy

Raspy Country Gent

Jun 7, 2008
    extreme no. ca.
    Somone is really proud of their
    guitar.

=============================

<><> Raspy <><>

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Not worth the price IMO.

6. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Just what I wanted.. a Korean clone of someone else's guitar... Gee, I guess people will see me with that and say, "LOOK! it's Brian Setzer!"

I think not.

7. coolbus18

coolbus18 Country Gent

Feb 27, 2009
    Portland, OR
    One heck of a G5120. Not my cup of coffee but it is neat.I would put my buck to a higher end series.Don't scoff at the G5120. I have one and dig the sound that it is capable of.

8. not unless you've bleached your hair blond and shaved your beard and and and and --- you're right. it just ain't gonna happen. :D ha ha

9. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

Just my opinion, but trying to pull that off with a 5120 is like trying to build a replica of the Starsky and Hutch Torino and using a four door Torino. It just sort of fails before it gets off the ground. But what the heck do I know? I actually took all the Setzer stuff off my 6120SSU and replaced it with stock components from BlackRider. Just a matter of taste I suppose. The way I looked at - if Setzer wants me to advertise for him, he's got to cut me a monthly check. That's just business is all.

Let's see what kitty has to say....

Attached Files:

10. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    I'd consider $900, but $1900? This guy is high on something.

You DO get his signature on the truss rod cover. That's worth something.

2 things that really screw it up - the extra holes on the headstock for the replacement tuners, and the fact that it is POLY, not LACQUER. It would never wear like that. Any further wear and I believe it will start flakin' off.

11. Krom5150

Krom5150 Electromatic

May 4, 2009
    Madison,WI
    Do you guys think they are purposely hiding that extra knob under the bigsby arm?

12. Fastfingers

Fastfingers Electromatic

May 7, 2009
    Manchester U.K.
    Well guys? I bit the bullet and have just sent a message through Ebay to him!! basically giving him a bollockin for sellin a pile of **** for a stupid price and told him If he sells it I will sell hundreds after!! from our chinese freinds !! Well if I lose my Ebay account coz of of it well then its gotta be !! We love our Gretsch'es! :)

13. Pickfish

Pickfish Gretschie

May 16, 2009
    Lithia,FL
  14. Pappy

Pappy Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Georgia
    It's an admirable job on a budget guitar. Like Jeff said, 900 isn't unreasonable, but anything over a grand and it starts getting a little ridiculous. Yes, I think the extra knob was hidden under the bigsby arm because, let's be honest here, there's really no cost effective way to get rid of that problem (either having a knob there or a hole there, either one will look inaccurate), and Jeff also raises another really good point and that's flaking. If damage is done on the finish and not covered (like once it was done getting worked on they shot clear to keep the damage at the appropriate level) it will start flaking off in very unattractive ways. Not the best.

But compared to the Gretsch offering or even Setzer's own, the average buyer has a much better chance to get this and who knows? There may be a market for these guitars on an economy line. I know if Squier ever puts out the Jeff Beck Esquire, I'll be right there waiting.

900 and it would have been a good opportunity for a fan. The requested price is a joke.

15. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. Sigourney Weaver!
    Another futile attempt at making a silk purse out of sows ear.

16. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Thanks for defending the true faith. :)

17. Fastfingers

Fastfingers Electromatic

May 7, 2009
    Manchester U.K.
    Well guys had an instant reply (within minutes)..this is the exact text copied and pasted from his reply..
    Many thanks for your comments. The idea of aging a new guitar is, as you've demonstrated, controversial. The guitar was manufactured in Korea not in China. I hope that's helpful.
    Regards,
    guitarslinger
    PS Keep up with the meds I'm sure they'll reach therapeutic levels soon.

- guitarslinger52
    I replied by giving him a link to our site and telling him we are all watching!! .....not heard nothing since!! lol :) one for the Gretsches!

18. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

at least he's got a sense of humor

19. dafreeze

dafreeze Friend of Fred

Actually, the original line is a quote Thumpers Mother reminded him his Father had told him. She made Thumper repeat it.

"If you can't say anything nice....(ho hum sigh), don't say anything at all"

20. Bonedaddy

Bonedaddy Banned

Jun 8, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Here ya go GF....

[​IMG]

Limecat....... is not amused.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice