Wierd Serial Number

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Ancientone1, Jul 24, 2013.

1. afire

afire Country Gent

Here's a '66:
    [​IMG]
    And a '65:
    [​IMG]
    Another '65:
    [​IMG]
    And a '64:
    [​IMG]
    Like Wayne says, from '62 on, all Duo Jets and Jet Firebirds both had gold hardware. If the "S" is original to the serial number and denotes something out of the ordinary, it's something other than the gold hardware.

2. Ancientone1

Ancientone1 Electromatic

Jul 24, 2013
    Boston, MA
    The guitar above is absolutly identical to mine. I take it it's a Duo Jet. If so, it is one of the very few I have seen that are identical to mine in every way. The serial number on the back would be very interesting. Is there a picture of it or would you write the number with as many xx as you need. Just please don't x out any S at the end of it.

Thanks a lot,

Ancient

3. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    On the other forum I think, Dan Duffy once talked about the "S" on the labels. I think I recall what he said but I'd have to look it up to be sure.

4. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Ancientone1... well 3 of the 4 examples afire posted above are identical, and also match the illustration and feature description of this model in the 1963 catalog.

http://gretschpages.com/history/memorabilia/1963-gretsch-catalog/

So... it would seem that yours is a stock example of the model 6128 Duo Jet. The "S" remains a mystery. But since I've never sen a Jet with it's serial number scribed into the body, there's every reason to doubt that it was even done at the factory. Enjoy your guitar!

5. Ancientone1

Ancientone1 Electromatic

Jul 24, 2013
    Boston, MA
    My Stupid Last Reply

Sorry Wayne:

I thought those 4 duo jet pictures were of the same guitar. A tribute to their identicalness (if there is such a word).

Would you please tell me or show me which one differs from the other 3 and in what way? Just curious.

My oblong access plate is shiney and clean. If the number was originally there, some one made it look like new. If the guitar is what it is, or even if it is not, why would someone etch the serial number into the body under the plate. Why not just etch it on the cleaned up plate like you say all other serial numbers are located? He could have etched the mysterious -S on the access plate as well? That would make it a better forgery.

Thanks again for your help with my mystery.

Ancient

6. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    One has a broken pickguard, one has a black pickguard and new or replated pickups, the first two have binding rot.

7. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Yep... #2 has a non-original (black) pickguard. My suggestion (purely speculation of course) is that the control cover/plate was replaced sometime in the past 45 years. The fact that you report it's so shiny only supports that, as most of them have some wear from contact with the player.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice