Wierd Serial Number

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Ancientone1, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Ancientone1

Ancientone1 Electromatic

Jul 24, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Hello All:

I have an early 60s Gretsch. The model number cannot be found and I have looked in all your recomended places. It may have fallen out during a setup. Who knows.

It also has a strange serial number hand etched below the oblong access plate on the back. Nothing strange about that.

However, the number is 24xx6-S. Yes a 5 digit number (not strange), then
    "-S" (no quotes on the number), VERY STRANGE. I have never seen or heard of a serial number ending is -S and I assure you I have looked quite a bit. Could it possibly mean "special edition?" I hope.

Thanks for any help,

Ancient

2. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Well... with no photo or physical description of the guitar you make it hard for us to help you out. The fact that there is a serial number on the back of the guitar (etched on a control plate) means it's a Jet solidbody of some flavor, since they were the only Gretsch guitars that featured this practice. The #24xxx serial confirms this to be a 1966 model year example. As far as the "S" goes... I'd have to see what it looks like. Seems easy enough for anyone to scribe an "S" next to the number, but suffice it to say that this was not a regular Gretsch practice, and Gretsch didn't really do "special editions". Can I ask if the guitar's finish is black, red, or sparkle?

As I look at some notes I've taken about Jet from this serial number range... may I ask if yours is #24416 (black finished Duo Jet... model 6128)?

3. JLoud

JLoud Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2011
    Gretschland
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  4. Ancientone1

Ancientone1 Electromatic

Jul 24, 2013
    Boston, MA
    No to the serial number, but close. It is black finished on top only and I do not know the model number. I don't know if this means anything, but the serial number is etched just UNDER the oblong control plate, not on it - on the brown body of the guitar body itself.

Thanks again,

Ancient

5. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    odd. never heard of that. pictures of the guitar would really help

6. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    Ancient, why don't you take a photo of the number and have Wayne and the guys find you the answer? A serial number posted on the web is a pretty good and cheap insurance, if you ask me, it proves the ownership as good as the picture stored in a bank safe!

7. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    I never thought of that, i might have to take some family photos.

8. Ancientone1

Ancientone1 Electromatic

Jul 24, 2013
    Boston, MA
    I might have to burn some family photos.

9. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    wait? what? why? Is the guitar stolen or something? or are you gunna burn my photos so you can steal my guitars and get away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids and that dog Fender62custom

10. afire

afire Country Gent

I'm not understanding how 24XX6 makes it a '66. Sounds like '57 to me. Then again, a '57 Jet would have a triangular back plate, not oblong. And if it's etched into the body, then it probably isn't the serial number at all. I'm confused by this post altogether. And Gretsch did use an S as a designation for a special order in the 50's on occasion (never seen one as late as '57 myself, but it seems possible), but if there's nothing out of the ordinary, then that's not likely the explanation. Anyway, not showing the guitar is a good way to get no meaningful help.

11. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    afire... remember the famous "missing roll" of labels from '57, that were eventually used in the mid-60s. This number is one of those. And you're of course correct that in the 50s the "S" was used. I was considering this as a '66 guitar, and therefore less relevant. HOWEVER, the serial number I shared above was documented to have an "S" after it... so that would make two from the same general serial number vicinity. So now I want to know more about this mysterious guitar (model 6128).

12. afire

afire Country Gent

I see. I knew of the missing rolls, but had no idea what the range was. Makes sense now, but for a bit I was wondering if there was some gaping hole in my understanding of SN's.
    Anyway, two S's. Strange. But I still don't get the SN scribed directly on the wood. Mysterious indeed.

13. afire

afire Country Gent

By the way, did the other S guitar have any out of place features? If not (and if this one doesn't either), that's a mystery in and of itself. Perhaps these labels had intended targets, including special orders, before they were misplaced.

14. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    G'day Ancientone!! welcome to the forum!!

15. Ancientone1

Ancientone1 Electromatic

Jul 24, 2013
    Boston, MA
    What is a Gretsch lightening? Is that a good thing?

Thanks,

Ancient

16. Ancientone1

Ancientone1 Electromatic

Jul 24, 2013
    Boston, MA
    It is a black double cutaway. The body is that of either a duo jet or a jet firebird. The majority seems to think if it is black it has to be a duo jet and all jet firebirds are red.

First of all, I discovered a green jet firebird online.

Secondly, all of my components, pic ups, tremelo bar control knobs, etc. are gold, unlike the duo jet and just like the jet firebird.

Third, the components all differ in shape and style from the duo jet and are identical once again to the jet firebird.

In short, except for the black color, everything else is a jet firebird and not a duo jet. And of course, the wierd serial number "-S,' I have never seen anywhere. The 24xxx part, does indeed indicate a 57 but I have seen no double cutaway duo jets from the 50s and I know of that lost batch.

I have no digital camera. Could I see a picture of that other -S serial number? That would be very informative. A picture of that entire guitar would also be interesting,

Can anyone lead me to a picture of a duo jet with gold components?

Finally, the pic guard is also gold which seems weird for both the jet firebird, which seems to have black pic guards and the duo jet which seems to be all silverish including the pic guards.

Thanks again for any input.

Ancient

17. Ancientone1

Ancientone1 Electromatic

Jul 24, 2013
    Boston, MA
    PS
    And as I said the serial number would be fascinating but is nowhere to be found. It was the first thing I searched for.

Ancient

18. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Actually. from '62 onwards the Duo jet (black finish... model 6128) had gold plated hardware. So yours, being a '66 is consistent with that. If you really want to verify this document the date codes off your pots. The #24xxx IS your serial number. Perhaps the back plate was changed and the owner wanted to retain the number so they scribed it into the body. The owner of the other "S" Duo Jet is a member on this forum. Perhaps "Danny" will post a photo of his guitar. Can we assume that your guitar has the Burns style vibrato as well?

19. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    Wayne, "Danny" was banned for some reason, but here's the thread with the story and the photos of the "S" you talk about

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/vintage-gretsch-discussion/48297-1964-gretsch-jet-firebird.html

20. Ancientone1

Ancientone1 Electromatic

Jul 24, 2013
    Boston, MA
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice