Why so many guitars?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by larryb, Jan 4, 2020.

1. CarbonSink

CarbonSink Electromatic

Oct 30, 2019
    Derry, NH, USA
    My wife and I own 16; far too many for our skill level.

The bad stuff:

Three years ago my mother committed suicide. That really knocked me back onto my heels. Four months later, my only brother (the musician in our family) did the same. That broke me.

The good stuff:

I got three of my brother's guitars and decided to learn to play (at 55 years of age). My wife decided to join me and we made it a 'thing'. We'd stop for a drink on our way home from lessons, practice together, clink glasses every time we screw it up, great fun! Also, decent therapy to help mourn a guitar player. To be fair, every note I play is tinged with a bit of 'if only he could hear me' sadness and likely always will (it's getting dusty in here, sorry).

We had a little money from my mother's estate and engaged in about 7 or 8 thousand US dollars* of retail therapy over the course of the last three years. I thought my candy-apple red G5420 was my final guitar, but then the G2655 in Gunmetal came along. Who knows?

At a glance:
    His 'n Hers acoustics (Ibanez & Seagull)
    His 'n Hers Fender Stratocasters
    His 'n Hers Gibson Les Pauls
    His 'n Hers Gretsch G5420s
    Ibanez GSR200 Bass
    Fender Acoustasonic Telecaster
    Gretsch G2655
    Fender Malibu Player (also candy-apple red)
    Alvarez acoustic 'knock around'
    Martin LXM travel guitar
    Yamaha acoustic 'boat guitar' (was on his sailboat, now lives on ours)
    Yamaha FS800 (her first guitar, now her classroom guitar)

To be honest, they are mostly expensive wall hangings. They do all get played a little and they're beautiful and they make us happy.

I've been playing just the G2655 since I got it in November. I might go back to the G5420 soon.

*That's probably low (maybe way low:eek:), some things are best left unexplored.

Runamok, phil66, blueruins and 5 others like this.
  2. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Apparently, you must have earned a "Curmudgeon" badge, Sid.:D

Wear it proudly... I wear mine every day.:cool:

Runamok and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  3. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Paris, north down Montmartre hill
    "Why, oh why, oh why? Because, because, because, because...."
    Woody Guthrie

Why so many guitars and not a single hollowbody?
    Why, oh why, oh why?
    Myself

Runamok likes this.
  4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I could believe that. The curmudgeon is apparently strong enough w/ me that it comes out even when I'm not feeling it :)

Seriously though, I sincerely apologize if I inadvertently harshed anyone's mellow here or at any other point in time. I very rarely mean to.

dak55 and mbkri like this.
  5. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Sorry you had to bear such loss. I admire that you and your wife are playing together. That is awesome and a great tribute to your brother. I started playing 5 years ago at 57, so welcome to the Boomer Crew!! You are never to old, and it has really helped sharpen my memory. Both short and long term memory are better. I only get a mile from the house when I forgot something as opposed to arriving miles away and then remembering!

Runamok and CarbonSink like this.
  6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Electromatic

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    I just like guitars. They're fun, and I don't enjoy spending money on pretty much anything else, other than food and shelter. I love playing all my guitars (and amps).

panhead6zero, larryb and new6659 like this.
  7. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I think i might buy another one.

T Bone, dak55, panhead6zero and 2 others like this.
  8. Filtertronico

Filtertronico Gretschie

Aug 26, 2014
    Germany
    Why?Because it makes me happy owning them. Life is to short, so if you want to own a beautiful guitar and have the chance, without taking financial risks, why not?Some folks bury their money on cars or whatever else, I like to play and collect Gretsches

new6659, JC higgy and panhead6zero like this.
  9. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Not you. No one in particular at all, really!

Reading a succession of these posts, it begins to feel like there is an undercurrent.
    The Infamous Luthier’s Vortex.

I myself feel as though I am an unrequited hoarder building a wood & steel harem.
    Pretty sure there is a Doctor Who episode which addresses it.

10. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I have six guitars, and I rotate playing them because I keep hoping one will show or tell me how it’s supposed to be played.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Runamok, panhead6zero and larryb like this.
  11. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Everyone should buy art! Not just the rich. people buy so much throw away crap, give xmas gifts that no one wants, tens of thousands of dollars EXTRA on cars that will be of little or no value in 10-12 years, etc., to buy something that you enjoy every day, pass on to your children perhaps, and that every one of your guests can enjoy without diminishing returns, is a great deal!

new6659, mbkri, ramjac and 1 other person like this.
  12. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Absolutely!
    Speaking as a visual artist i am obviously a bit invested in this. But yes, we are all of us ennobled by the arts..... and we NEED art. EBE6C0DD-FBF8-4637-BBF0-5A40AD8B828A.jpeg i just finished this one today for an exhibition in the UK in May. Thought you might like to see it.
    Powerstation, Dubuque Iowa, 24x30 (not for sale, just seemed like an opportunity to show you what i do!)

13. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Okay I read the first page days ago, intending to read the rest before replying. Was 5 or so pages then, now 9. Not waiting. I am somehow up to 40 guitars. Not sure how that happened tbh. But they are here and I love them, and I'm not done. I drive a beat up old car, but it gets me there. My house is small and pretty inexpensive, but I recently managed to pay it off. Other debts look to possibly be paid off by sometime next year with a bunch of overtime. So I'm not suffering. The guitars, well I guess I'm just addicted. Not quite done yet I think either. We shall see... But one thing I know, they bring me joy.

14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Nice water colour. That fence wire must have taken some diligence! :)

mbkri likes this.
  15. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Thank you sir!
    Took me all day today and a bit of yesterday. Ya cant rush a good chain link fence!

Ricochet likes this.
  16. phil66

phil66 Gretschie

Dec 5, 2019
    Indiana
    I could still use a teley

T Bone likes this.
  17. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Watercolors? Beautiful piece! Without art, we are just a bunch of ants on big rock.....

mbkri likes this.
  18. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    It starts out pretty innocently... I need a strat to get that tone, I need a 6120 to get that tone, I need a Les Paul to get that tone, I need a tele to get that tone, etc. But where it starts to go off the rails is I want that Les Paul, this tele is better than that tele, I don’t have a strat with a rosewood board, I really like the blue one...There are just so many options.

I love the instrument - playing, working iron them, collecting, reading, listening, everything. I have a lot of guitars; more than I need and more than many players better than me. But I also work really friggin’ hard and I’ve reached a point in my life where I can actually afford some of the guitars I’ve always wanted. So yeah, lots of guitars. But fewer, better guitars is where it’s at, vs. a bunch of mediocre guitars. Then you move on to amps. :)

[​IMG]

emitex, new6659, Runamok and 4 others like this.
  19. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    +1 THIS
    I’m at the point in my life (and collecting) where I’m considering selling two or three to buy one. Just sold two prolines to buy something wonderful last summer and might do it again in 2020. My love for music, music making and guitars will never die and the money time and space that I invest in it isn’t causing my loved ones to go hungry or my world view or faith to be neglected.

new6659, Tony65x55 and larryb like this.
  20. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    When the Martians finally invade,
    what are the chances they’ll be disguised as guitars?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020 at 11:41 AM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice