Why so many guitars?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by larryb, Jan 4, 2020.

1. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    That there is a loaded question...LOL!

Really what I am asking here is....Do you own(or GAS for)many guitars because you are on a quest for that ONE golden unicorn...that ONE guitar to rule them all...or do you just want or need many different flavors?

Secondly..do any of you play one guitar for an entire gig?

Runamok and Merc like this.
  2. JCW513

JCW513 Gretschie

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    I have way to many. I want to sell most of them off. I will end up regretting it. I've got a decent savings, but I wanna buy a house, so life>guitar... But even downsizing, i'll have 7 guitars or so.

I wish I could be like Wilko Johnson, whos only ever had 6 guitars and still has 4 of them. But I like variety

3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I just want many looks, many styles and many tones... Hence many guitars !

I've never been in the "Graal Quest" phenomenon, so yes : by and large, I'm more in the "different flavors" scheme... ;)

Well, I'm most of the time forced to stay with one guitar :(... If there are several sets, separed by pausing, then I can change my instrument and I find this really great, then ! :cool:

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

LivingMyDream and larryb like this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I celebrate diversity in my personal guitar universe, so own a decent amount.:)

Ironically back when I played a few gigs I had only one guitar.

5. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I just love (electric) guitars in general, I'm sure I don't need more than one or two and I no longer 'justify' adding one more, if I can, I will.

I play the same bass through a gig, not sure what switching would achieve... although I did get a U Bass for Christmas..

6. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I admit i own too many guitars and i generally only play about 4 of them on a regular basis, i want to thin the heard and acquire a 6120, my regular giging days are long gone and i don't need 20+ guitars.
    Also at gig i played one and brought a second as backup.

GretschAddict, Robbie and larryb like this.
  7. Ducerro

Ducerro Electromatic

Dec 4, 2019
    Yoakum, TX
    I like, therefore I buy... Not searching for tone, just different flavors. I have 13 now (of which 1 is still in transit from an end of 2019 purchase), and I'm looking at one more. That will take me to 14 and then "I think" I'm done....well, at least I hope I'm done. Besides, 2020 is YOTA (Year of the Amp).

8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I now have 6 ....... 7 by Tuesday 8 by summer . Why do I have so many guitars you ask ????
    Because she has a lot of shoes . There , I said it .......

9. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Different flavors for different reasons. One for show, one for go, one for twang, one for drive, and now finally that one good all around Martin that just fits in wherever. Ya need a campfire beater, a good recorder, and of course something that just plain looks good.

10. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Thunder58 you are a brave man. :cool:

11. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I envy folks that can own a lot of guitars. I’m down to four and will probably stay there. Financing isn’t the reason I only have four guitars, I simply don’t like having instruments I don’t play. I’ll repeat myself....I envy those folks that can and do own lots of guitars.

I pursue one sound with some small variations so almost always play one guitar throughout a gig. Generally it’s my 355. The Panther does (did) get its share of stage time.

All of that said, I do want a Setzer Hot Rod but one guitar would have to go and I seriously dislike the process of selling a guitar or amplifier. Trading you lose too much cash IMHO.

LivingMyDream, Merc and larryb like this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I setteled on this position towards owning guitars:
    There are two different reasons to buy a guitar:
    - You need it to get a job done.
    - You don`t need it but you fell in love with it.

As long as you are financially capable to pay the price both reasons are absolutely legitimate.

Basically you need at least four types of guitars to get any job done:
    - A good acoustic
    - A solidbody humbucker guitar
    - A solidbody singlecoil guitar
    - An archtop

If you are giging you need a backup for every stage guitar. I usually play my shows with only one guitar and one or two identical backups depending on the length of the show.

Nowadays I cannot afford to accumulate guitars anymore.
    What I am doing is replacing guitars with better/more suitable models.
    E.g.: I had many Gretsch Corvettes. I always bought them, kept the better one and sold the one I did not like as much. Same with my other guitars.

In the end buying an instrument has always been an inspiration for me (and a reason to woodshed more).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  13. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I went out yesterday to try lots of different acoustic guitars. The main idea was to be able to play at some local open mics that favour acoustic guitars. I tried everything from a £99 Fender to a Gibson J45 (via Martin/Taylor/Epiphone) but just didn't find anything I liked playing. I came to the conclusion that I just don't enjoy playing acoustic, so went home without a new guitar (even my wife was surprised :D).

I'm actually thinking that I probably have too many as it is: 7 isn't a lot by some standards on here and they do cover a wide range, but I'm starting to think I'd be a better player if I stuck to maybe 2-3 and just focus on practising and playing more instead of chasing the next thing.

How about we play a game and see if people could suggest which of the ones below I should get rid of? :eek:

Seven 3.jpg

I've owned the JV Squier Strat since 1982, so that's not on my list, but be interested to see what gets picked.

14. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    One Tele....One Gretsch....and perhaps an acoustic archtop to give you an acoustic guitar with an electric feel

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  15. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Where I live in Rockland County ....2 Guitar Centers , 2 Sam Ash's within a 20 minute drive . 1 in my County just 7 miles away . 1 in the next County up in Middletown 1 hour drive . A music store in Jersey 1 mile away and another store in Jersey about 10 miles away .
    ...... hey , don't blame me , I didn't ask to live here .... lol :p

LivingMyDream likes this.
  16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    :D Interesting: I'm thinking get rid of the White Blonde Tele and the Gretsch. :oops: I don't play either much and the Esquire covers the Tele side. I don't really need an acoustic either really; I found out most of the open mics I want to play are find about me taking an electric and a small amp (I have a Champ clone which would do perfectly).

panhead6zero and larryb like this.
  17. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    After 35 years of playing I’m still in discovery mode.
    The Squier Telecaster has been such a revelation for me, it really does about 90% of what I need for my gig. Makes me think the way to go is a tele with a wang-bar?
    But none of those solutions really appeal to me so I think maybe a Stratocaster is still the answer but I haven’t found the right one yet?
    Been chasing that Strat for 25 years.
    Some folks say a Jazzmaster is the answer...should I try that?
    Love my Jets but learned that Filtertrons are not my thing...there’s another wormhole.
    Someday I’d like a 335-ish and a Les Paul just to see if they speak to me.
    I still love the 80’s shred I grew up with. Not easy to Surf with the Alien on a single-coil vintage-spec so...
    A great Floyd Rose equipped super strat would be fun to have. Maybe an old Charvel or even a Flying V would fit the bill?
    Someday I will find the acoustic guitar of my dreams as well. Someday when I can afford it....it could happen?

emitex and LivingMyDream like this.
  18. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Did you happen to find any Fender Newporter's or similar? I had one for awhile, actually pretty decent but not 'full' enough for me. Slightly smaller body with essentially a Strat neck. Mine actually was a little thinner and easier to play than my 5420's neck!

19. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I had one Gretsch and one acoustic for most of my gigging career, which didn’t coincide with my more recent financial situation. ie i was as poor as a church mouse. I really only began to create a collection in the last 8 years (my 50s). I record much more now so having the right sound for each song is definitely practical, whereas playing a gig and using even three guitars seemed cumbersome (and even a bit flashy). I have 13 now and I use them all in approximately but not slavishly equal amounts. I usually have two or three out on stands by the amps and use them for each practice or writing session. I definitely write differently on each guitar and find that I cant get the right sound for everything I have written on one anymore. But I realize that only I hear the sounds I’m after in my head, and if I played everything for an audience on only one guitar they would be none the wiser. Good song writing and good playing is what they will hear (or not!).

LivingMyDream, Lister and larryb like this.
  20. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I am a hobbyist. I have 4. A Daphne blue strat, which plays very nicely and I bought for the color. A Setzer Hot Rod, because, of course! An Esquire I built from an Affinity Tele. My home assembled Warmouth/Fender Jaguar. And a Recording King Cowboy acoustic I found at a yard sale. I have played in front of people twice. Once a fish fry and for friends NYE. The only thing I GAS for are an Eastwood Sidejack, because I am a Ventures fan and an Epiphone ES-295 cause I am also a Scotty Moore fan. Then I remind myself that the Jag does what the Sidejack can do and the Hot Rod can do what the ES-295 can do. I need to improve my playing and I think the rest will come together. Plus I have a really small house! I could maybe get one or two more, but...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice