Why is there a cancer warning on Fender website???

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by GVDobler, Sep 11, 2019.

1. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    I just noticed at the bottom of the web page Fender has a cancer and reproduction warning.
    I can think of a few good jokes, but what is that about?

2. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I imagine that's there because states like California require the warning when anything is made with a material, or any substance in the production, that could cause cancer. Basically, it's a use at own risk warning.

Merc and MKunie like this.
  3. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    It's the latest Gibson sales tactic. Fenders kill, Gibson doesn't.

RG7X, drmilktruck, Scooter127 and 4 others like this.
  4. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Yeah, pretty much. California has a more stringent threshold for some of these items. The intention was correct but the application basically forces EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE to have that warning. Even if the ingredient is so low in concentration it would do nothing or if it is completely gone from the final product, like the vapors/odors produced by curing glue or paint, etc. I work in the battery field and with chemicals and there was always a joke about the tight regs from Cali. For example, V2O5, vanadium oxide, is a hazardous chemical, but only causes cancer in California.

drmilktruck, swivel, MKunie and 4 others like this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    More work for lawyers.......

ZackyDog, Lionpotato and wabash slim like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Your tax dollars at work.

Lionpotato and audept like this.
  7. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    California thing. Just ask Chevy Chase.

8. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    If you don't tune your Fender's A to 432hz it affects your spirit aura and shatters little crystals in your inner psyche. This makes the bad humours in your body multiply and can lead to cancer ;)

Yes of course I'm joking. (since it doesn't always come across that way for some people lol...)

9. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Warning: Certain keys on this instrument are known to be sharp. Eating this guitar may cause indigestion, constipation, hair loss, or death. See your doctor if any of these symptoms persist.

mrfixitmi, drmilktruck, dak55 and 3 others like this.
  10. Lionpotato

Lionpotato Gretschie

Oct 10, 2018
    Upland
    Air in California has a warning on it.

11. drrohle

drrohle Synchromatic

Jan 3, 2014
    Hays, KS
    Most likely because of the lead content of the tiny amounts of solder used.

12. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    Some glues used to have formaldehyde in them. I don't think PVA does... However I attribute formaldehyde to my well preserved appearance ;-)

13. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Geez , I can't .... with that said ,

Just an FYI - it's been on my mind now for a few hours weather to comment / post or not . I consider myself a very easy going person here on the forum , but I feel I must say something as this irks me . 6 years ago my wife was diagnosed with lung cancer at the age of 56 ( the same age as when my mother died of lung cancer 32 years ago at 65lbs and not a follicle of hair on her due to chemo ) My wife's name is Marianne and she goes once a month for Immunotherapy Treatment ( that's Chemo to the laymen ) for the rest of her life . I receive the insurance statements each month and see that the Cancer Center charges the insurance company about $28,000 per monthly treatment . Thank goodness I have good insurance at work , but retirement in a few short years is frightening to me as in not sure what future insurance holds for me . I have also become very good friends here with a forum member who lost his wife 2 years ago . Our friendship has become a comfort to each other .
    I apologize only for posting , but I just had to say something . Although I'm sure it was not your intention ( ? ) but I just cannot " think of a few good jokes " on this .
    My statement can be removed if the mods choose to do so , but one thing is for sure , I will not be posting again on this particular thread ...... and I hope no one else does either
    Now back to guitars .......

14. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    I saw a warning on a Gretsch Boxcar at my GC

MKunie likes this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It should. Fed gov't. is talking about bypassing Cali's air quality specs for cars.

16. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    WTH I have three of the four symptoms you mention. No constipations but the rest! I should put my Strats in an airtight hermetically sealed case to protect myself.

MKunie likes this.
  17. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    VOCs in the paints and chemicals used in chrome plating, too.

California's Prop 65 is simply insane.

18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    @thunder58 my thoughts are with you. My wife has battled MS for decades and I can’t imagine what someone does who does not have good insurance. I’m glad you have good insurance. My wife’s daily injection costs were absolutely astronomical. Those have stopped, but that is not good news, her disease has progressed to the point that those treatments are no longer beneficial.

Anyway, easy to digress. Hoping for the best for you and your wife.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Charlie westside likes this.
  19. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    CA warnings are now like someone crying wolf. It loses the impact because everything has it. I think precautions are a good thing, but maybe it needs another approach. I worked as an industrial safety and health manager for a few years. I researched deeper than MSDS's for some solvents etc. in my work. Basically what I found out is they injected rats directly with the solvents, (into the body) kept upping the dose and determined a threshold for the solvent. Way beyond what you are going to do if you go buy a pint of MEK at the hardware store and get a little on your hands.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice