Why Doesn't Gretsch Offer Semi-Custom Options?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Apr 12, 2019.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I think this has been asked before. Why doesn't Gretsch offer an on-line configurator for semi-custom guitars like Fender does? Options for pickups, controls, colors, fretboard, etc ... on popular models? Not a true custom shop where you can. make changes, but a limited number of options. I'd pay a premium to be able to modify my new Gretsch from the start. Maybe a Jet or 6120 to start.

Here's the Fender Mod Shop:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/mod-shop/

Here's a Tele I put together, $1799. (Not for real though.)

[​IMG]

Waxhead likes this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Maybe they should start out by offering an Electromatic Bill Bo ..... just sayin'

Trash Kidd, hcsterg, Robbie and 2 others like this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I agree - and here's my Fender Mod shop choice from the available options but........
    even this was no good for me.

I don't want a Tele with single coils.
    I want one with humbuckers - preferably TV Jones Classics or a PAF style pup.
    But there's no pup options other than single coils

[​IMG]

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

I've always wanted a natural finished Strat, but I've never found one that checked all the boxes. This one would:

Satin finish maple C shape neck w/ 9.5" radius.
    Elite bridge
    Noiseless pickups
    Locking tuners
    Aged pickup covers and knobs
    Ash body
    Case
    $1,799
    Stratocaster - Mod Shop.png

drmilktruck and Waxhead like this.
  5. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Cost of such an option vs demand I assume. As much as we all love Gretsch, its still one of the smaller of the manufacturers.

Henry likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes, I agree. Pulling a guitar of the line and treating it different from the other 500 guitars makes it much, much more expensive resetting machines, programs, etc. Completely different model from a custom builder where choosing one color or another makes almost difference in cost of manufacturing.

Also Fender is just a couple steps up from being a Lego guitar, mixing and matching pieces (I love Lego by the way, more than Fender!). And I notice that their semi custom prices seem quite a bit higher too.

And since Fender runs Gretsch production, I can assure you that if the thought semi custom Gretsches would make them more money, they'd do it.

section2 likes this.
  7. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    The way the guitar business is going they probably will very soon but get ready for the insane upgrade charges.

8. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    That looks EXACTLY like my tele, when I got her. She’s very different now. It’s almost like looking ay a baby picture. Warms my weary heart.

thunder58, DennisC and Waxhead like this.
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Or you can just get @englishman to build you exactly what you want from the E-man Custom Shop.

10. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I wish they would do this color combination again in a 5420

upload_2019-4-13_8-3-32.jpeg

11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Apart from expensive parts used, I reckon the price of a guitar is largely in the workmanship. So custom handling of a guitar would make it an relatively spendy endeavour, while not necessarily resulting in a big improvement in the quality or playability of the instrument. Small stakes with huge back firing potential.

DennisC likes this.
  12. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Would be WAY cool. I'd love a Proline with a thick neck myself. I can deal with them as they sit, but they are too skinny for my ideal. I'm actually playing my Streamliner right this minute thinking how great it feels. Big neck.

larryb likes this.
  13. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Agreed! With the exception of my old Clipper(great neck), the Streamliner I had owned, had the thickest-most comfortable neck of any of the prolines I had owned:(

14. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Maybe they should make even more Electromatic Lefties with even more color options... ;)

For example a G5620LH in Sparkle Red, a G5220LH in Jade Grey, a G5420LH Fairlane Blue, etc... And yes : an online color selector, and dexterity option, and ...

OK...

Don't dream, Boy... :(

Your wallet is safe ! ;)

A+!

DennisC, Les Pedals and thunder58 like this.
  15. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    If i could get Gretsch to do a Duffy Falcon with dynas instead of filters i'd be thrilled.
    The silver/chrome is more appealing than gold

16. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
  17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’d love to see it happen, but I’m not holding my breath. The reason is simple, Fenders and Gretsch are built completely differently. With Fenders, the bodies and necks can be finished separately and then bolted together. It’s a mix or match situation which lends itself well to customization, pickup options, etc. With a Gretsch, you’d have to make any fretboard/inlay choices very early in the manufacturing process. Whereas the Fender uses universal routing, the Gretsch would require the top to be routed specifically for the types of pickups used. The finish would have to be applied, and then machine head, and other hardware options could be accommodated fairly easily, but overall, I don’t think that it would be possible to fit customization into the production of a set neck archtop the way you can with a Fender.

Leo Fender truly sparked a revolution by designing his first guitar. He took a product which had required exceptional skill and made it possible to produce from interchangeable parts and to be assembled fairly easily. Customizing guitars built in this manner is a lot simpler.

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice