Why 5 Ply?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by SaltyDog, Feb 9, 2020.

1. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    ... in which there's no trestle bracing but just one single post under the bridge.

From looking into the soundhole, I always thought it was on the bass side ... but that don't matter here.

Removing plies it would be here ... which may be even worse ... as the outer layers may be something different than the inner ones, due to resistance against wear and the like. They also may be identical, I don't know.

I wouldn't do because I now can't afford losing a guitar of that value without this being a real impact, but whoever can, I won't judge.

2. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    I might try it next time I see a cheap beater for sale that I can experiment on. If so, I’ll do a thread with pics. Trestles out and tone post in.

Definitely not going to try thinning down a 5 ply. I’m not that skilled.

Ricochet likes this.
  3. afire

afire Country Gent

FYI, trestles are not holding the guitars top up. They are underneath the regular bracing. Remove them, and you're left with a full hollowbody with standard bracing.

4. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Wow, there's so much to learn from you guys! So many smarty pants. Well I was just quoting TV Jones and Brian Setzer. 80% and 20% hey. Non of that is true if you have a bucket on your head or are too busy just thinking about hat jokes.

5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The modern trestles are one piece right?

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’d do it, but I’m not sure if the inner layers have the same structural density as the first and last layer. Maybe just remove the paint and first layer for starters?

I’m still intrigued by the idea of removing the trestles. At least half of them. Forgoing any practical implication, which half?
    Just the 4 feet, essentially leaving parallel bracing?
    Maybe just one trestle?
    Or cut the trestles in half around the bridge pickup and removing the front part of the trestle, and leaving the ones under the bridge for a bit of structural integrity and sustain?

7. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Each trestle itself is, yes. But it’s glued onto bar braces. See attached pic from a current production PE Annie.

I’m thinking of removing the trestle part entirely. Leave the bar bracing of course, and maybe add a small post under the bridge if needed after trying it without. I’m pretty sure it’ll still be structurally sound.

But on a cheap beat up guitar first. I don’t want to go messing up any of the good ones.

Attached Files:

Ricochet likes this.
  8. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    If the guitar is built with a center block, does the number of plys really matter? I'm not sure how I can see what the tonal difference would be.

new6659 and audept like this.
  9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I agree, the center block would negate any extra resonance from the thinner 3-ply top.

new6659 likes this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Well I wouldn’t want to make it a 10-ply when 3 or 5 would do... :D

11. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I'll throw a curve ball.

6122-58 Electrotone body and trestles. It should be dead feeling. Anything but.

Gretsch's "sleeper" guitar. A special Gretsch sound.

12. afire

afire Country Gent

I don't think there are any cheap models with trestles. I guess if it's beat up enough, anything can be cheap. But no low end models.

Agreed. Trestle bracing does not equal dead. No much acoustic volume, but definitely not dead feeling.

13. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Actually, I'm quite surprised how loud acoustically my -58 RI Gent is.

Not as loud as an open "f" hole guitar, but still a lot of volume considering.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice