Who's out gig'in and where?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jukebox, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Electromatic

Jun 2, 2008
    Lost Angeles, CA
    F'sho, f'sho, we'll be rolling out as much media campaign for the new CD as Mrs. Twangmeister will finance. In today's everyone-and-his-brother-has-a-CD world, ya gotta go out there with as much firepower as you can. Hey, I'm not fading into obscurity without a fight! ;)

Bent, as far as The Fireman is concerned, it's become like the Stairway To Heaven of country. We need a moratorium (hey, we managed to quash Achy Breaky Heart, right?). I approach that solo with everything but the original one in mind- I've done the Zappa approach, the Middle Eastern approach, the stacked intervals from the 25th century approach- anything to stave off boredom and confound the dancers. However, I do make it a point to throw in my cheesy, European siren lick with simulated Doppler effect. See, fireman! Fireman..get it?....FIREMAN! Buhahahahhahahaha...........

It's hot, my brain hurts. :confused:

2. swooda

swooda Electromatic

Jun 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    We're playing in Chalmette tonight.... Just outside of New Orleans. I believe we're up by Hammond on the Northshore tomorrow. We've got Sunday off...

3. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    Are you going to have the time off to hit the jam at Donwoods place?

4. swooda

swooda Electromatic

Jun 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Man I'd love to but Shreveports quite a haul. I've been playing every weekend here lately. Between that and my day job I just don't have to much time. I will take a rain check and ya'll post some pictures.....

5. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    well, I won't be there either,but maybe in August. I have to find time to come down and meet Otterbeans kids at school,and jam with them.I've been buying guitar for the kids that can't afford to buy their own,(the hard-luck cases). I want to come down and meet them.I also help by supplying the school with guitars.

6. getbent

getbent Super Moderator

Jun 1, 2008
    sunny california
    Yeah Jere, but you are actually GOOD! Last night we included such sentimental chestnuts as rollin with the flow, make the world go away (I love hittin' the bbender on the dm7 and the g7), route 66 all was sailing along... until... the south's gonna do it again. ugh. almost wrecked the moment...

here is a weird one... we never used to play fireman or neon moon (both considered 'too new' by us) but the steel player said we should play neon moon so we can claim we can play a cha cha... I've grown to like that song... nutty.. i hate stuff like that usually.

oh well. We did close with Waltz Across Texas... gotta love Ernest Tubb.

7. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    hey Swooda....I'm from Ruston!

I have never played out, and am looking to do that hopefully in the next few months. I've not had a lot of time with my playing, and started to take lessons from a good country guitarist here. He told me I had the ability to do it, and that it would help me grow leaps and bounds if I did. He gets calls fairly often for a fill in, and wanted to drop my name as a possibilty...I nervously said ok. I just don't have the confidence in my skills to do it....maybe I should say screw it and do it.

8. sleeperNY

sleeperNY Gretschie

Jun 18, 2008
    central NY
    We play out almost every weekend here in central NY. All classic country and square dances. We drive up to about 2 hours to play and every place we have gone have had us back. For those that don't play out even if just to jam with others you should do it. Nothing better that getting with others that play what you do and you will improve faster that you could imagine. Makes no difference how good you are or aren't. Everyone has been there and everyone I have been around are more than willing to help or to learn.

9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Actually, my favorite thing is to practice with others. I don't mean just jamming but to actually work up songs, develop the parts for each instrument and bring the vocals along. Musically speaking, this is the most rewarding thing I could ever do. Once it's all together I enjoy taking it out in front of an audience and seeing how they react but I enjoy crafting the songs more than anything else.

Once thing I don't like is to go out to a gig without being rehearsed and ready. I'd rather do one song with a band and have it shine than do four hours worth of music that isn't ready for an audience.

10. swooda

swooda Electromatic

Jun 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    He's right. Just go for it. We all make mistakes, even us crusty old vets. My son goes to La Tech up in Ruston. He's a yound aspiring geetar player too. He's looking for folks to jam with too. He's back home for the summer right now but maybe ya'll could link up come fall semester. He plays a Tele and a Strat though and I'm not letting him get out of here with my 6120.....

11. swooda

swooda Electromatic

Jun 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Hats off to you sir. Thats a fine thing you're doing.......

12. gretschiam

gretschiam Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    Chicago
    My band has been limping along for some years now. Best band and musicians I know- I'm lucky to be part of it. I'm by far the weakest link. Only thing is, none of us likes to book us, so we take what floats in. We still manage to practice together once every week or every other week, which is great. To fill the void I was playing with a harder rock band the last couple of years, but just quit this weekend. I'd like to find some country or jazz group to get involved with on the side, but they're a little hard to come by and I don't want to go through the trouble of starting one myself. I did that nearly 40 years ago and I can't face doing it again.

I also play in church every Sunday I can. God seems to be okay with it, but I think He knows I'm doing it largely for selfish reasons.

One of the cool things around here (Chicago area) these days is that all public places are smoke free. We might start doing some bars again. They're plentiful and easy to get. We stopped a long time agi because the night would always have to include a couple hours at home doing laundry and wiping down the gear.

You guys ever re-locate to Chicago (or Tampa in about 4 years), look me up. I'll carry the equipment if you'll let me play along.

13. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    recklinghausen, germany
    i am playing in a drum/guitar duo with my wife. we are on a good way to play i gig per month in clubs around west germany.

14. Boyko

Boyko Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    Not me, but I wish I was. Its hard to find a good drummer around here lately. My drummer which I won the talent show with has been pretty sketchy lately so I'm not using him.

Wish I had a band because in our small little town of Bancroft we have free concerts every Wednesday in the park. There was a couple spots for openers (half hour gig) which would be great to play but no drummer sooo...meh! Still get to see some great players.

15. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    You could go out and do a jazz deal on your own. But I know what you mean about drummers, I'm trying to find one also.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice