Who'd have thought it? Gibson SG for me...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by KelvinS1965, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Lister

Lister Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Omaha
    Congrats! I own a 2016 SG Special HP with the mini humbuckers and after a bit of work, it's a killer guitar.

KelvinS1965 and Waxhead like this.
  2. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    Very nice Sir - play it in good health :)

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  3. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Sweet guitar. Nice looking too. Felicitations to you.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  4. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Great looking guitar! My other guitar is an SG that I have owned and played for 40 years. Gibson and Gretsch guitars are a great combination for a guitar collection. (See below). You might want to consider joining the SG Forum, it's a great site for SG owners, just like this site is for Gretsch! IMG_20190530_235726.jpg IMG_20190530_235726.jpg

Attached Files:

T Bone, Waxhead and KelvinS1965 like this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Great deal! I'd have sold it too. I've never owned one with mini-hums but I share your admiration for the '57 Classic - that's a great pickup! Three of my SGs and one Les Paul wear the '57 Classic.

Was the 5 position rigged like a Strat? The one on my SG3 is a six position. Can you point me at that neck dive fix. I'd like to learn more about it. Thanks!

Waxhead likes this.
  6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Yes I came across that site while I was researching SGs, might have to join it, though it might have me wanting to buy variations of SGs (much like the Tele forum I'm on :D). Might be safer just to keep playing my SG. :)

DannyB and Waxhead like this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah wired same as strat.

I moved the strap button on body of SG from behind the top horn to where the neck joins the body.

But leather strap alone may solve it.
    Leather gives grip on your clothes at shoulder and reduces slide.

So try leather strap 1st - then if still no good move the strap button

8. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    It's funny you mention Telecasters, because that might be my next acquisition, particularly if I can find a Squier or a Mexican made Fender Tele

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  9. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Shouldn't be too difficult finding a Squier or MIM Tele, plenty about. ;):)

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Played the second half of a gig on the SG this weekend, using my Marshall Mini Jubilee and the 2x 12 cab. Really suited the songs we were doing (played my Tele for the first half as they were more 'twangy' songs, plus some Rolling Stones numbers).

I got a nice red leather hand made strap for it too. I don't think I've put a recent picture since I changed the knobs, tip switch and trust rod cover for a more '61 Standard look, so some below.

I've decided I'm taking out the PCB as I don't like how flimsy the pots feel and their abrupt action. I've got a set of Gibson 500K audio taper ones, plus a switchcraft toggle switch and new jack socket, so I can swap the whole lot out (and make it reversible, just incase as I've learnt not to make irreversible mods now ;) ). I've got plenty of orange drop capacitors, so I'm going to try a 0.015uF on the neck tone control and a 0.022uF on the bridge tone control. I'm not fussed about getting 'bumble bee' ones though; I think the values are probably more important, but will see how it goes.

I've also decided to try the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pickups in it. I already have the neck pickup so I've ordered the matching bridge version. Hopefully will add a bit more sparkle to the sound compared to the standard 61T and 61R currently fitted.

New strap pictures:
    SG New Strap 2.jpg

Just to annoy those who panic about me breaking the headstock. ;) Believe me, it was very carefully rested on the shelf/table top, so supported in two places before anyone accuses me of SG-oside. ;)
    SG New Strap 1.jpg

Waxhead likes this.
  11. new6659

new6659 Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2018
    Southwestern Ontario
    That SG looks like it means business!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  12. manunk

manunk Electromatic

Really like my Gretsch proline, but love my SG. With '57 classics and coil split, the SG's clean tone rivals Gretsch's best. However, I don't like the small size of the SG when playing standing up. I'm average height and still the SG is toy-size and looks odd.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  13. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I'm quite small, so it works the other way: My 5622T looks a bit big on me, the others (including the SG) fit me better. I still like my 5622T though, especially since I put TV Jones classic/classic plus pick ups in it. :)

manunk likes this.
  14. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    classic

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  15. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Sorry so late to the thread, missed until now. Congrats on a great guitar, I bought it's twin back in February. Bought it because I got a great deal on clearance and because I wanted to try the 61 pickups (which I now love). I buy a lot of guitars sight unseen, this was no exception and I was very pleased, I ended up liking them a lot.

The Tribute model you tried, did it have P90s? I have a Tribute SG Special from around 2012 or 2013 I think, bought new. Very cool guitar, it is what convinced me to try this one.

I do love 57 Classics, but bought one of these specifically to try the 61s. For me they were a very pleasant surprise, I put them up with the 57 classics. I have one guitar with Burstbuckers (2 & 3), and not so crazy about those.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    KelvinS1965 likes this.
  16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Hi T Bone: The Tribute had open top humbuckers, not sure what version they were. I'm not so keen on the 61 myself now I've had it a while. I prefer the more open sound of my Bareknuckle Mules and I remember my DiMarzio 36th Anniversary had a very similar sound (neck position only), hence the gamble on getting the matching bridge 36th one.

I've received most of the parts to do the upgrade, so will remove all the electrics and pickups to be stored safely incase I ever want to sell it (unlikely, but I have learnt by past mistakes ;) ). I will fit metal braded wiring to the 36th pickups and also wire the Gibson 500K pots, etc with it too, for an authentic look (even if it's only me that will see it).

I'll post back with the pictures soon I hope. :)

T Bone likes this.
  17. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    All the parts are now delivered, along with the neck pick up and other bits I already have in my stock. I paid a bit more for Gibson pots (only £2 each though compared to standard CTS type ones), maybe I ought to leave the back cover off to show everyone. :D

Electrics upgrade kit.jpg

18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I took out the PCB and pickups today:
    Striped down.jpg

Then made up a cardboard jig to wire up the new loom away from the guitar. 50s wiring with 0.015uF cap on the neck pickup (to keep it a bit brighter) and 0.022uF (standard fit) on the bridge:
    Wiring loom.jpg

Got it all installed back in the body and connected up the DiMarzio pick ups (I joined the DiMarzio wiring under the pick ups themselves to run metal braided wire through the body to the controls):
    Rewired.jpg

Did a quick set up after putting the (same) strings back on: Controls are much smoother (the PCB pots were very flimsy in feel and also abrupt when rolling off volume or tone). The DiMarzios have a more open/clear sound than the standard 61T/R pickups. Since I didn't want to cut any of the original wiring it made sense to replace the pickups since I already had the neck one anyway and the bridge one was pretty cheap. I think it sounds better, but it's easy enough to re-fit the 61T/R if I want to cut off their 'quick fit' connectors and solder onto my new loom.

JC higgy likes this.
  19. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Gave it a polish up after my work and took a few more photos. Close up of the DiMarzios:
    DiMarzios.jpg

Having a lay down with my one week old Partscaster 'Esquire':
    Nice pair.jpg

new6659 and JC higgy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice