Who'd have thought it? Gibson SG for me...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by KelvinS1965, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I bed to differ on allegations of neck dive on SGs guys.
    Only some (a few) SGs had this tendency and was it dead easy to counter anyway by simply moving one strap connection on the guitar body plus using a leather strap.

Spagetti necks - don't know what you're talking about but the fatter necked SGs were always the best imo.

I much prefer SGs to LPs.
    They share many tones but SG has more cut and is much lighter and more comfy to play imo

KelvinS1965 and new6659 like this.
  2. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

I agree with ALL of this. It’s just like a great Telecaster. The tone lives in the neck.

KelvinS1965 and Waxhead like this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

I’m interested.........Which SG’s have/had bigger necks?

I would love to try one

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I can't remember the models exactly - you have to look thru the gibson specs.
    My fav's are the fatter necks models with 57 Classic pups.

I owned this 1997 SG Deluxe also for 12 yrs, had fat neck, ebony fretboard, no neck dive, 3 x mini humbuckers and bigsby - great rock n blues axe.

Sold it in Aust for $3000 last yr - still miss it.

[​IMG]

Jeff67, Lionpotato, new6659 and 4 others like this.
  5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Thanks Radd. :)

The newer 2019 model SG Standard has a 'rounded' neck profile (as opposed to the slim taper mine has). It depends if you like the full bat wing pick guard though. The SG Standard '61 has the smaller pick guard, but the slim taper neck, which doesn't sound like it would suit you.

The 2011 SG Standard I also tried had a thicker neck too, so might be worth looking out for if you prefer that profile. Just that the one I tried was quite badly marked and not much cheaper than the one I bought, which is like new. Otherwise I'd have taken that one home.

radd likes this.
  6. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Being an AC/DC fan, I always liked the look of the SG. One thing I’ve found is that there is a vast difference between some of these guitars. Everything from neck dive to cheap feeling, crappy necks and sound, bad finish etc. there are many great ones but there are many not so great examples. I bought a 2007 with “burstbuckers” and it looked great but that was it. It played and sounded terrible to me. Severely disappointed I put it up for sale but there was a 1974 example in the local guitar shop. I checked it out for grins and fell in love. I had to have it! It’s my best playing and sounding guitar. Well balanced and everything. It used to be cherry red and still is in the back but UV has turned it into a walnut finish.

DC27A966-F8CD-45DD-9D30-DB7CCAE03383.jpeg DDA5EED3-88C3-4624-BD1E-4EC8744B5ADD.jpeg

T Bone, Lionpotato, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I should play mine more, but feel the SD Hot P90s were the wrong choice for this guitar.

[​IMG]

8. tolm

tolm Electromatic

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    You wanna look for models with the “Rounded SG” neck profile:

- Most non-vintage SG Special models
    - SG Standard from most years except when they stopped doing the 61 model at which point the Standard had the slim taper (I think around 2017-2018)

Nowadays, the new SG Standards have the (bigger) rounded necks whereas the 61 SG model has the slim taper.

Tribute models tend to be 60s (slim taper) but they may have done SG 50s Tribute models for a couple of years, not sure.

T Bone, radd and Waxhead like this.
  9. tolm

tolm Electromatic

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    Ironically I just sold my SG to help fund my new Gretsch!!

radd and KelvinS1965 like this.
  10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Shame...maybe we could have done a swap. I'm thinking of selling my Gretsch, but it's an Electromatic G5622T, I guess you mean the Duo Jet in your signature. :cool:

11. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Congratulations SGs are great guitars.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  12. tolm

tolm Electromatic

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    yeh - that’s right, was after the 1962 double cut model specifically for years. The 5622 is a nice model though, I did consider one of those as an alternative as they’re a bit easier to find!

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  13. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Waxhead, Telechamp and KelvinS1965 like this.
  14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    The friend who lent me his SG Tribute this summer has just messaged me to say he traded it in this afternoon for a brand new SG Standard in Ebony. We will be like twins at the next gig we're playing at in December. :D

It's only fair: He got me to try his SG and I bought one. He tried my Standard and then bought one (though I know he has been talking about getting a Standard for a while now).

Lionpotato, Telechamp and Tony65x55 like this.
  15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I can assure you my friend, neck dive on SGs is as common as dirt. It seems to affect mostly the guitars with heavy tuners, i.e., Grovers, locking tuners etc way out on the end of the long fulcrum (neck.) As well, some people are not very sensitive to neck dive and pay little attention to it. Not me, I notice it big time.

The spaghetti necks people are referring to are some very thin necks that were made on SGs. If the wood was just right, you could bend the whole neck several cents flat or sharp. Less common than the neck dive issue it is also real. I have one but I like the guitar a lot so I keep it. I just don't push or pull on the neck much when I'm playing it, LOL

Like you, I prefer SGs to Les Pauls. They both sound great and are a little different from each other but the increase in sustain a Les Paul gives you is simply not worth the backbreaking weight during a four hour gig.

Beautiful SG you had, I bet you miss it. It's a looker. Did it have the five position or six position Varitone?

new6659 likes this.
  16. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I made a point tonight of taking my hands of the guitar and letting it just hang on the strap...it stayed exactly where it was. Even if I sway from side to side it still stays level.

I'm off to a guitar show tomorrow and was planning on looking for a nice strap (I'm just using a cheap one I had spare), so I hope that it doesn't somehow introduce neck dive. I think that's unlikely especially as I'll probably get one with a rougher suede back to it which would help grip even more than the quite smooth cheapie one.

Waxhead likes this.
  17. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    That's perfect. Just the way it's supposed to be. Are you taking your SG to the show to show it off a bit?

18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    No, the show is just stands selling gear I guess. I've never been before, but hoping it's a bit like some car shows I've been to with accessories for sale. Then I can get my reflector knobs and a new strap.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  19. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I've got a 2013 SG Standard which I absolutely love. The 2013 Standards have what I would describe as a 60's neck, but wider. I really like the neck on this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

new6659, Waxhead and KelvinS1965 like this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah Tony - I never said it wasn't an issue on some SG models.
    I said it's very easy to fix :)
    And I've never seen one with a flexible neck.

Fat neck SGs with 57 Classics or mini humbuckers always played great for me.

Yes mine had a 5 position switch - like a Strat I preferred positions 2 & 4 :)
    I bought it from US for $900 and then found in Aust it was a collectors item.

12 yrs later I was offerred $3000 for it from a well known female pop star here. So it went to a good home

Tony65x55 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice