Who takes off signature truss rod covers or pick guards ?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rob batz, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I’ve had a couple made by a local trophy shop. I leave the original with them as a sample. That’s worked well for me. Perhaps check to see if you have a place locally that makes things like lamacoid nameplates.

rob batz and Ricochet like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Why buy signature ?? " Signature gear " is ok if thats what you want . I tend to stay away from signature gear . I think once an artist name goes on any product , the price just skyrockets .
    but to be honest ... I do own a MXR " EVH " flanger pedal . I was set out to buy a flanger . This came along ( in a store ) . It was used , worked well , and was cheap to purchase

GlenP, rob batz and wabash slim like this.
  3. Tegzsa

Tegzsa Electromatic

Dec 6, 2019
    Berlin
    I read (somewhere) that Johnny Marr sands his own name off his signature guitars when he gets them.

rob batz likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The only "signature" gear I own is a 1988 (or so) Peavey Generation III guitar, that became the Steve Cropper Signature. So, it's not a sig, but shows that the Colonel and I have similar tastes in Tele clones.

rob batz and thunder58 like this.
  5. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    AD3866FB-3AD1-4958-9F3B-0DAC575F7AB7.jpeg I want to swap this to a blank...

Echocat23 and rob batz like this.
  6. rob batz

rob batz Synchromatic

Apr 17, 2014
    Bristol ct.
    Echocat23 and audept like this.
  7. MrAstro

MrAstro Gretschie

Mar 5, 2015
    Sydney, NSW
    I have a Chet Atkins signature on my Gretsch 6120 which I don't really mind because I just bought it because it was a 6120 - but I really don't like Tommy Emmanuel signature Maton's which have a CGP inlay on them. CGP was only given to five guitarists by Chet (and one by his estate) and I don't think it's in good taste to own a guitar with that on it unless you are a CGP. Controversial I know lol.

rob batz and Ricochet like this.
  8. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    What about flipping it over ?

Jena, Echocat23 and rob batz like this.
  9. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Thank you gentlemen!!! Making my day.. it’s been a bitter one...

rob batz likes this.
  10. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    If you flip it the beveled edge is down....

11. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Gotcha .....

rob batz likes this.
  12. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
  13. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    At least I’m not dealing with one of those fugly badges in the middle of the head stock... they just don’t look right to me..:

rob batz likes this.
  14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I have a real aversion to artist signatures being an indelible part of the instrument, but don’t mind it on truss rod covers, pickguards, etc. Chet’s name is welcome on any of my guitars. All five of my archtops are sig models, of a sort. All four Gretsch and my Guild T-400 is essentially a Duane Eddy model.

rob batz likes this.
  15. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

You could be right.

I know in the strat world two guitars that rival the custom shop Strat’s are signature ones, Eric Clapton and Eric Johnson. Both come with stunning workmanship and their signature tone from that time in their career. I have the EC Strat, it is a wonderful guitar.

rob batz, thunder58 and new6659 like this.
  16. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I guess Martin and Gretsch weren't known for their guitar playing. The only signatures I have are a Les Paul (i am not sure if i knew he was a guitar player when I got it) and an Albert Lee. For the Albert Lee, there simply isnt another guitar that looks like it at all. Unlike Setzer or Clapton, which tweak existing guitars, the Albert Lee is a whole redesign.

rob batz and thunder58 like this.
  17. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    My point was any / most " signature " guitars ( or any equipment for that matter ) the price jumps dramatically IMO . Martin guitars and Gretsch guitars included .

( For argument / discussion sake )
    Martin to me is the Company name : Example - Martin ( company) D-28 ( model ) lets say $2500 / Martin D-28 " Johnny Cash " signature model $4000 .....why ?
    Gibson is the company name : Example - Gibson ( company ) LesPaul ( model ) lets say $3000 / Gibson LesPaul " Jimmy Page " signature model $5000 ...why?
    Gretsch is the Company name : Example - Gretsch ( company ) 6120 Chet Atkins ( model ) lets say $2200 / Gretsch 2120 Chet Atkins " Brian Setzer " signature model $3700 .. why ?

I kind of realized this to myself a number of years back when I saw at Guitar Center . An Eddie VanHalen ( identical specs to his Frankenstein guitar ) selling used for $17,000 . I remember it originally was a " limited run signature " of only 50 guitars just like the 50 " limited run signature " of the Gibson EDS-1275 Double Neck Jimmy Page model . Both of these guitars I believe where made the same year and both sold new for $35,000 . What a loss on the EVH guitar , and remember , Guitar Center was selling it for a profit so they probably bought it from someone for $9000
    As I said , I did buy the EVH Flanger because it was used , cheap , in the store and I was out to purchase a flanger anyway at that time .... and it really doesn't do anything special for me either to be honest .. it's just a flanger

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    rob batz and new6659 like this.
  18. Jellicles

Jellicles Electromatic

Jan 20, 2015
    Maine
    My Gretsches are not signature models, but I have removed the pick guards. I think they look better without, and are unnecessary due to the string height from body.

rob batz and Tater like this.
  19. Tater

Tater Electromatic

Jan 1, 2017
    Port Kent
    If I was a person willing to pay more for a signature model, I probably wouldn't remove the identifying parts. I am not one of those people. The only way I would pay extra for an instrument is if it were being customized for ME. And I wouldn't sign it because my signature isn't worth squat and would only devalue the instrument.

20. Tater

Tater Electromatic

Jan 1, 2017
    Port Kent
    Mine come and go. I prefer fingerpicking without an elevated pickguard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice