White Falcon Ringer or what???

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by mikechandler, Nov 8, 2019.

1. mikechandler

mikechandler Gretschie

Jul 7, 2015
    Chandler, AZ
    So they made an electromatic in white sparkle with a white sparkle headstock and red logo.

Is this as close as a po-boy can get to a proline white falcon?

I think I want one.

[​IMG]

Groutsch, new6659, audept and 6 others like this.
  2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I saw a special run of these with red backs and sides. (They spoke to my Canadian heart.) Not sure whether the one I saw had a sparkle top, but I'm pretty sure it had the red logo on the headstock. Is this the same guitar, or is it white all over?

new6659 and MKunie like this.
  3. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    I played the exact guitar. It is a very nice guitar, Built VERY WELL!!! I do not wanna come off in a bad way, But it's Not going to get you to a Falcon in sound. feel etc. But it is very much a beauty in its own right. The pics never do this model justice! It is very nice! I would not hesitate if I could not get a proline.

mikechandler likes this.
  4. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    While a lot of folks concentrate on the Falcon's color, binding, and bling, it's easy to forget two things.

Falcons have a 17" body, and a long scale neck.

Major reasons that Falcons sound the way they do, and play the way they do.

White 5422's are great guitars, and look really nice too, but the only thing in common to a Falcon is the color.

RomanS, Les Pedals, audept and 4 others like this.
  5. mikechandler

mikechandler Gretschie

Jul 7, 2015
    Chandler, AZ
    Yep, that's the same guitar. It is candy apple red on the back, with a red logo, and sparlkle white top and headstock.

Good reminder. The long scale and big body make the falcon an entirely different kind of animal. I might be able to trade my ES 335 for a Falcon, but otherwise, I don't see me laying out that kind of dough. The problem is the ES 335 is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played, and the nicest I've ever owned. It's a 1982 nashville '59 dot reissue. These were so good that the custom historic shop is doing reissues of them. Mine even has the original shaw pickups... and it plays just incredible with singing sustain even unplugged. It's a monster guitar.. really hard to let go. But I want a falcon, and have always wanted a falcon.

/sigh

Jeff67 and MKunie like this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Synchromatic

May 24, 2012
    usa
    If you love that 335, don't ever give it up.

Put a Falcon on your bucket list, and some day you just may have both.

Alanqa, section2, Les Pedals and 2 others like this.
  7. Jeff67

Jeff67 Electromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Beautiful Gretsch, but don't let the 335 go. If you regret it later, you probably won't find another one you love as much.

JC higgy and G5422T like this.
  8. jfassett

jfassett Gretschie

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    That's sweet! Humpblock inlays, bonus!

section2 likes this.
  9. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    Does this one have the red back and sides?

10. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    Sorry
    Just found my answer.
    These are sweet. If I was going to own a double cut away this would be it.
    If they ever do this in a 5420 I’m in trouble.

Todd2 and section2 like this.
  11. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Don't sell your 335 sir!

DennisC and G5422T like this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  13. mikechandler

mikechandler Gretschie

Jul 7, 2015
    Chandler, AZ
    Right, that has been weighing me down a bit. I just don't feel I can justify the cash outlay for a falcon, or really having both a falcon and this es335. The Falcon is something I've always wanted, but I never really wanted an ES335. I was selling a really nice (world-class) acoustic and I was offered the ES 335 in trade. When I tried it I was just blown away by how it played, sounded acoustically, and how it amplified. I have had very few guitars that have been of this quality - the last was my 67 V back in the 80s. But again, the ES 335 is not a guitar I ever desired, just one that fell in my lap and surprised the hell out of me. Every time I look at it I think of Hall and Oates and groan.

:(

The trade would be this:

[​IMG]

For this:

[​IMG]

or possibly this:

[​IMG]

Groutsch and Jeff67 like this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The Falcon is nice, but that ES335... Not trying to affect your decision but seems to me there might be a lot more White Falcons around than ‘59 Nashville Dot reissues...

15. mikechandler

mikechandler Gretschie

Jul 7, 2015
    Chandler, AZ
    Yeah, that is the truth. Just sat playing it. I need to stop looking at white falcons, and getting spun up.

Ricochet likes this.
  16. DennisC

DennisC Gretschie

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Hm... Keep her. It doesn't count wether you wanted a 335 or accidently got one - this one, it seems, really got you. Keep her!

Aside from anything else - whatever you pay for an instrument, if it is a used one and you neither get ripped off nor have any severe damage done to it, it is likely you might, in case you sell it, get around the same money you paid ... the money isn't thrown away, it just would take some time and effort to sell.

Seen from that point of view, I think the only things hard to justify are purchases that really get you short, new-bought instruments because they initially lose a bit of resale-value, and stuff you won't be able to sell in any reasonable time, like guitars nearly no one likes - which isn't the case for a Falcon. They're broadly and deeply loved around the world.

So I'd say ... whatever you do, keep your beloved 335, they're great guitars, too (Gretschism isn monotheistic ... or is it?) ... and maybe wait a bit, put a bit of money aside for that purpose - just because it is likely easy to resell doesn't mean there's money growing in one's pocket, ... I know that better than I'd want to know ... and then buy a Falcon crossing your way. Maybe that one will even be a surprise like the 335 was? And maybe only that one.

I don't know. Money is for spending, and whatever is likely sold again without any severe loss, to me at least, shouldn't be judged that hard.

17. mikechandler

mikechandler Gretschie

Jul 7, 2015
    Chandler, AZ
    All good points thanks.

I was thinking about offering this for sale, since I haven't really played classical since the 90's. It's a 1979 Brazilian RW concert classical by DW Stevens (RIP). The wood was aged over 50 years before he even built it.

https://imgur.com/a/52jbZRp

But I think you are right - I should just set aside a savings account, rather than let go my treasures.

Jeff67 likes this.
  18. unknown fan

unknown fan Gretschie

Aug 7, 2018
    Tn
    I'm in the minority, but I'd trade for the single cutaway Falcon in a heartbeat. But then again I never cared for 335's and traded mine off most ricky tik...

Alanqa and G5422T like this.
  19. Jeff67

Jeff67 Electromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    All three are beautiful! Tough choice...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice