Whir sound coming from Nocturne pedal

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Musicmanverb, Sep 20, 2019.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Computer hard drives are noisy. As are some compact florescent lights and LEDs

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

2. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    1. Tavo stands behind his stuff. 2. That whirring sound is somebody trying to reel in your pedal when you're not lookin'.

3. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Whenever I’ve had a problem with a new Nocturne pedal, it turns out to be the power supply I’m using. I’ve made a lot of funny noises go away by switching power supplies.

wabash slim likes this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    2 pages? ooo geeeze louweez, send me an email and I'll help.
    Those sounds coming from overdrives, boosts, and preamps are generally 95% not the pedal and come from routers, laptops, fluorescent lighting, neon lighting, dimmer controls on room lighting, or ceiling fan dimmers, or room is next to a smart meter, switching power supplies, or power supplies NOT meant for guitar audio equip,etc. These type of pedals boost noise exponentially.
    That said, its easier to send it in to me, to check. I will always make it right.
    There exists a slight potential that the 8 legs of the vintage metal can Opamp that I use might not be seating tightly in the socket, but at best it would create a drop in output or a crackle? This pic below is one I just sent out. Its pretty much a vintage white label rat thats been modified to excel at lower gain settings and upgraded w very bouteeky parts to shine w hollows and semi hollows compared to a regular proco rat.
    ps. I usually respond within 24hrs at most since I always have my Ipad or am on my Mac. I tend not to answer phone calls because I home school during the week and have a second job on the weekends but I still always take care of stuff. PM on this site doesnt always work, as the notifications dont always show up in email. Instagrams messaging and facebook's messaging is instant and of course direct email: thenocturnebrainseltzerATgmailDOTcom

IMG_7379.jpg

Henry, mbkri, wabash slim and 6 others like this.
  5. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Good god Magnum, you’ve given me a clue to a source of noise at my house! Never thought of that.

Merc and panhead6zero like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    This is a guy who stands behind his products!

Hadn't thought about a smart meter. It's amazing what spurious emissions (great band name!) can affect electronics.

pmac11 and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  7. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    how may years???? HAHA -

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  8. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    If this were my thread I would have totally been unable to not somehow work in “emissions” in the title.

pmac11 likes this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Screenshot_2019-09-22-21-23-00-1.png

10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    speaking of emissions. A great tool to have on hand from radmeters.com is the Cornet Electrosmog Meter.
    IMG_7459.jpg

Merc likes this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    That looks very handy. An alternate may be a Tricoder of some sort.
    F27D7C58-A3E7-4E44-B5F9-9CC73695420B.jpeg

12. Sabato

Sabato Synchromatic

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    The Ghostbusters PKE Detector could be useful:
    upload_2019-9-23_19-39-7.png

Merc likes this.
  13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am partial to the Continuum Transfunctioner. Its mystery is exceeded only by its power.

[​IMG]

14. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I like the term "electrosmog". It's fitting.
    It's amazing how dirty the AC you're getting can be. At our theater, we had campus power, the grid, and emergency generators. Even with isolation transformers, lighting dimmers, building and office lighting, HVAC 3 phase motors, and tons of other things, power could be really noisy. We often used diesel generators. The new ones weren't horrible, but the WWII surplus units were a nightmare. Even old school auto ignition systems could cause issues. CBers running booster amps illegally caused us problems.

Are there high tension AC lines anywhere near you? Near a radio or TV station transmitter? Anything with a transmitter inside it could be an issue. The neon indicator lamp in my Dad's fish tank heater was a problem. Computers and video gear can cause problems. Good luck sorting it out.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    DaddyDog and Merc like this.
  15. JCW513

JCW513 Gretschie

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    My amps make all sorts of sounds, my fuzz sets off radio stations..

I had a Bosstone and Fuzztone in one that I swear once, picked up my neighbors phone call.

16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ve had a few fuzz pedals that have picked up Spanish radio stations. Specifically a Dunlop JHF1 Fuzzface and my Seltzerado. I think it’s just the nature of those old school circuits in today’s world of interference. They got interference way back in the 60’s too. I watched Hendrix live and he was picking up some sort of radio at one point between songs. I can’t remember if it was the Isle of White concert. It’s made me wonder about shielding inside the pedal boxes to see if that might help.

My MXR Variac Fuzz has been very been quiet but it’s a more modern circuit board. Which btw is a great underrated fuzz. It does the dying battery low volts thing for stoner rock great, but pushing it up to 15v it gets some good gain for heavier stuff too.

17. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Not unheard of. People have received radio stations due to their dental filings. CBs can bleed into wireless phones and baby monitors. On our theater's old VHF wireless mikes (long ago), we'd get taxi calls. HAM radio guys told me that every radio receiver actually can transmit signals, tho at very low levels.

18. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    When it comes to power, everyone with electrical outlets should get one of these, for safety if not just for audio. This is a US version and I have to assume they're also made for non-US outlets. Plug in, look at lights, then take appropriate action.

upload_2019-9-24_15-21-1.png

pmac11, wabash slim and Merc like this.
  19. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That could be a lifesaver. Cheap insurance.

20. ramjac

ramjac Gretschie

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Buy a good one, though. A cheap one from the big box store can turn you into a human Mystery Machine chasing ghosts in your walls.

Bertotti and Merc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice