Whir sound coming from Nocturne pedal

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Musicmanverb, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Musicmanverb

Musicmanverb Electromatic

Sep 14, 2019
    PA
    So I just got my Nocturne Ubangi Stomp which I send my 5422TG Hollow Body through into my Roland Blues Cube amp....and I'm getting a whir sound. It get's louder with volume or gain or treble (luckily I don't need much because the pedal is so sensitive)... still, it's annoying even at low levels. Possible causes???

2. samdevos

samdevos Gretschie

Jun 26, 2009
    belgium
    i had a weird noise some time ago and it was my Wifi power line adapter that caused the noise , but try to move your amp to a different room and see if you have the problem over there. Secondly try different adapters , cables... or try to shut down , mobile phones , routers...

pmac11 and Merc like this.
  3. Musicmanverb

Sep 14, 2019
    PA
    Thanks....but I'm pretty sure it is associated with the pedal--- or pedal-guitar-amp combo. The other pedals I have plugged in do not have such a sound

4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Is it an earlier or more recent Ubangi?

5. Musicmanverb

Sep 14, 2019
    PA
  6. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Ok, just asking as I know Tavo wrote once that on some of the older ones... the trim pot would sometimes squeal if maxed all the way to the right until you backed it off a tiny bit. Not the case for you since you have a newer one.

It might help if people reading this know what other pedals you have, what order, and power supply. Is it an isolated ground on the power supply?

7. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Are there other pedals in the chain? If so, try it alone. Or change the order. I recently got a fuzz pedal that makes a terrible noise if it's not the first pedal.

Musicmanverb and Merc like this.
  8. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Do you get the noise when you are running guitar> US > amp or are other pedals involved in the mix? Are your other pedals gain related? What are you powering your pedals with? Do you run your AC through any kind of power conditioning?

The previous recommendations troubleshooting pedal order & eliminating any localized RF/EMF emitting devices from immediate proximity as possible are really good suggestions. Another may be making sure your amp & pedals are being fed by the same AC circuit (or if they are on the same circuit currently, vice versa).

I've experienced no new noise w/ my circa 2018 production Ubangi in any capacity I've used it so far but that doesn't necessarily mean there might not be a noisy component in yours...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Merc and Bertotti like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Listen to the suggestions for eliminating things listed above, and keep in mind because one pedal doesn't make a noise in a room doesn't mean another won't. Do the steps above only do it with just the Ubangi between the guitar and amp. Remove all variables at first then add them back in one at a time until the culprit is found.

Merc likes this.
  10. samdevos

samdevos Gretschie

Jun 26, 2009
    belgium
    oh another thing you could do plug the pedal in on its own, and put a headphone in the output jacket .

11. LA Miles

LA Miles Country Gent

Dec 6, 2012
    UPSTATE NY
    Did u contact Tavo?

Bertotti likes this.
  12. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    A lot of great suggestions on narrowing it down to if it really is the pedal first. I haven’t heard of any defective Nocturne pedals. Not to say it couldn’t happen but I know they test every pedal before going out the door. Question for you, are you the original owner or did you buy it second hand?

I imagine after narrowing it down to really being the pedal and you are the original purchaser that Tavo would take a look at it. If you’re the second owner it’s hard to say if the other person may have damaged it. In which case you could try to get a refund from them or maybe @TV the Wired Turtle can repair it. But I imagine if it were second hand the repair would likely cost you.

13. Musicmanverb

Sep 14, 2019
    PA
    Thanks...it’s brand new. I’m thinking it’s not the pedal (praying)...but just wanted to get an idea of what it could be...I’ll test out the various ideas from people before I bother Tavo. I did try going just direct from guitar to US to amp...still getting the slight whir sound

Merc likes this.
  14. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Did you toggle the 'Leslie' switch? :p

larryb likes this.
  15. Musicmanverb

Sep 14, 2019
    PA
    Interesting...when I did that I don't hear the whir...just my normal grounding hum (which is another issue altogether).

16. Musicmanverb

Sep 14, 2019
    PA
    Trying to rule everything else out first. I'm pretty sure it's not the pedal

LA Miles likes this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Whirring sound? I'd start looking at extraneous sources first---AC sounds most likely, dimmers, etc.

18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Is there a fan in the room?:D

larryb likes this.
  19. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Do you have another amp you can experiment with? Is your Blues Cube a recent model, or is it a vintage BC?

I've owned an early model BC60 for many years. The first digital tuner I ever bought (Fender PT-100) is completely unusable with this amp - generates a weird motorboat-like sputtering sound. Doesn't happen with any other amp in my stable of amps. Your problem could be a similar electronic compatibility issue.

Now let's wait for Tavo to chime in.....

20. Musicmanverb

Sep 14, 2019
    PA
    It's a recent line of Roland Blues Cube amp. Today I'm going to try all the suggestions made above...different rooms, cables, etc..

T Bone likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice