Which volume pedal do you use?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by rockinforJesus, Mar 1, 2019.

1. capnhiho

capnhiho Gretschie

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I own a late model Dunlop XL but I don’t use it much. Scored it as a Stupid Deal of the Day a while back for about 20 bucks. I grabbed it because of the low price and because it doubles as an expression pedal.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  2. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    I thought they all came with the kevlar string. Mine broke and I had to replace the string. Told myself never again after that debacle. Although I see that Shnobel has a lifetime string available for ~$18.
    Here’s to hoping I never have to replace that string again.
    Hence, the reason for this post.

3. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    I use the Lehle volume pedal which is completely loss-free. It is better than the Morley in my opinion and available I think via Thomann but is quite expensive.
    Here is their description of how it works and it uses magnetic sensors so there are no 'strings' to snap at the wromg moment! It also has a variable boost function and is built like a battleship.
    It can also be seen on their website:
    https://lehle.com/EN/Lehle-Mono-Volume

Lehle 01.jpg

The Lehle Mono Volume is a volume pedal equipped with a precise magnetic sensor enabling it to operate almost wear-free. This sensor uses the Hall effect, named after Edwin Hall, to measure the strength of magnetic fields. In the Lehle Mono Volume the Hall sensor, which is made in Germany, is accurately calibrated to the built-in magnet and the control range of the pedal. The pedal moves only the magnet, the distance is measured by the Hall sensor which controls a VCA.
    A premium Blackmer® VCA (= Voltage Controlled Amplifier) from the United States replaces here in this case the mechanical potentiometer. The principle of the voltage-controlled amplifier is based on the fact that gain can be varied by the control voltage coming from the Hall sensor. This technique allows to operate more precisely than conventional mechanical potentiometers or optical sensors used by the standard volume pedals. In addition the potentiometer-typical noise and the complicated adjustment are eliminated.
    Over the entire control range the Lehle Mono Volume transmits the full sound spectrum of the connected instrument. The input and output impedance always stay the same, ensuring that there will be no damping of higher frequencies as with potentiometers.
    Internally, the input voltage coming from the power supply socket of the pedal is rectified, then filtered, stabilized and doubled to 18V, thus achieving a total dynamic range of 110 dB.
    The volume control of the Lehle Mono Volume ranges from -92 dB to 0 dB - so from a virtually muted level to the same volume. With a potentiometer a gain up to +10 dB boost can be additionally adjusted.
    The Lehle Mono Volume runs mechanically extremely smooth and steady, as it is equipped with low-friction bearings of a high-performance polymer, and there is no mechanical transmission of the pedal to other components. By means of an adjusting screw the mobility of the pedal can be modified very precisely.
    Furthermore, the Lehle Mono Volume has a buffered direct out which can supply a tuner, DAW or a second amp without affecting the sound.

4. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I have a Dunlop volume pedal for sale in the sale section.
    See
    http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/waxheads-bargain-pedal-sale.189609/
    It's one of the few volume pedals that does not tone suck your amp.
    Almost all of them do unfortunately :)

[​IMG]

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    $25 Behringer FCV-100 or something. It doesn't say on the pedal.

Bought for the expression function. It can also do volume badly, stereo, and CVA control. Metal and a rubber type of plastic, very solid feel. Of course I don't play out and have small feet...:)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  6. RG7X

RG7X Gretschie

Nov 11, 2018
    L.A.
    I'm not 100% sure but this model is also PVC coated. It looks and feels smoother and more beastly than the standard model I tried.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice