Which to keep? Warning, Long Post!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by 86runner, May 7, 2019.

1. 86runner

86runner Electromatic

May 6, 2015
    Nashville
    I'm an admitted guitar junky. I have over 30 of different kinds. Most of my electrics are Kauers, Gretsches, vintage Gibsons and homebuilts/partscasters. We're in the process of buying a new house as our 3rd little boy is on the way and should be here in August. My Gretsch lineup is as follows: I have a 2005 Smoke Green 6118 from the Fuji factory with the thinner top and floating fretboard, 2018 Black Falcon Players Edition I just bought, a Stern Custom Shop Daphne Blue 6128 Double Cut with TVJ Classic/Classic +, Wildwood 6128 I just put SD Dynas in, 6120T-55 with TVJ T-Armonds, stock 6120 SSUGR and a Champagne Sparkle double cut 6129-68 with Supers. I'm thinking I have some overlap, so I thought about moving a couple. I've A/B/Cd the 6118, Black Falcon and SSUGR and the SSUGR is definitely going away due to neck shape. I'm struggling as I understand the 2005 Fuji 6118s are getting harder to find with those specs. The Black Falcon is just killer, though it would bring double the money. I'm leaning toward offloading the 6118 and the 6120 SSUGR. I have solid body Dynas covered with the Wildwood 6128, solid body filters covered with the 6128 and 6129 (can't get rid of the CS as it's absolutely killer, and I can't get rid of the Champagne Sparkle as my wife LOVES it). I have hollow Dynas covered with the 6120T-55 and hollow filters covered with either the 2005 6118, the 6120 SSUGR or the Black Falcon PE. 1st world problems I know. I've tried to tell myself the 6118 would cover sound post Filter tones and the Falcon would cover ML/Trestle Filter tones. I'm just not sure I can practically justify keeping both. The SSUGR is definitely getting sold due to the V neck. I just can't get along with it. It's absolutely beautiful, but I just need cash for the upcoming house purchase. Wish I could keep them all, but alas.....

Any input? Thanks!!

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    audept and Charlie westside like this.
  2. mbkri

mbkri Synchromatic

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Well you certainly have some great guitars in the house. I have the Fuji Gen Anniversary also. Bit of a Holy Grail guitar. I wouldn’t sell that one if I were you. You might never get another chance to own one. The black falcon raises money for you, which is why you are selling, plus it’s easy to replace later. That’s my thinking.

3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’d look at the dollar amount needed. Then I’d look at the ones I play less and like the least to see if they reach the goal. Best of luck with everything and I’m rooting for a smooth delivery.

audept, loudnlousy and drmilktruck like this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm with @mbkri

Charlie westside likes this.
  5. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Sell the lot and get one telecaster!:D

calebaaron666, larryb and 5120mantis like this.
  6. afire

afire Country Gent

I agree. And, frankly, despite the lack of bling, I think the 6118 is the cooler guitar of the two.

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I need pics to decide, it’s looks that count :)

8. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Tricky question indeed, need some pix

9. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    yes, please post pics, that will help us help you decide.

10. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Synchromatic

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    You might want to consider hanging on to the 6118 05 Fuji Facto gen.
    Might be difficult to replace that one if you ever wanted to get another.
    Some of the others you can replace.
    Congrats on the new home and more importantly the new lil dude who will be joining you in August. It seems like an exciting happy time.

audept likes this.
  11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    That`s exactly what I think.

Had to make a decission like that some years ago when I had to sell more than 30 of my herd.

Charlie westside, audept and Merc like this.
  12. 86runner

86runner Electromatic

May 6, 2015
    Nashville
    EDIT: Removed this comment. I started a separate thread for input. Thanks!

Last edited: May 23, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice