Which model to start learning guitar ?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by frdrc13, Jun 18, 2019.

1. frdrc13

frdrc13 Electromatic

May 13, 2019
    FRANCE
    What would you recommend for a newbie to start to learn guitar ? In other words : are the cheap models worth the money (a newbie often has a low budget and tries not to waste it in a poor quality instrument) or they are just here to win market shares from competitors ?

Attached Files:

2. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    I'd recommend any of the Gretsch Streamliners. The junior double cut especially is very easy to play and they are not hideously expensive

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Jena, frdrc13, dmunson and 8 others like this.
  3. Scooter127

Scooter127 Gretschie

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I second the Streamliners. Last I checked you could pick one up for about $350 and they have a LOT of bang for the buck.

Jena, frdrc13, Yukimajo and 3 others like this.
  4. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    I think most of us older cats learned on an acoustic guitar then moved on. I say don't buy new and go acoustic till you find out if you can play and like to play. Then move to something gretsch.

frdrc13, Gregor, Stefan87 and 4 others like this.
  5. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    Think beginners are better off starting on an acoustic, for a couple of months anyway. Build up strength and calluses faster and hear true uncolored guitar.

Jena, Henry, frdrc13 and 4 others like this.
  6. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I played acoustic for 40 years before buying my first electric...Gretsch of course. My only concern for a beginner starting with acoustic is they might get discouraged with the sore fingers but your points are well taken, Freshy.

frdrc13, Groutsch, new6659 and 4 others like this.
  7. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Start on a decent acoustic. Yamaha makes some great entry level guitars

frdrc13, new6659, Les Pedals and 2 others like this.
  8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    When I started out as a kid, my pops was of the opinion that I needed to start with an acoustic. I still kind of agree with that, but not a crappy acoustic with mile high action. I think it should be easy to play, you'll find a struggle no matter what to help build character.

But anyway, back then I wanted a archtop right away--seemed like I'd have the best of both worlds, both acoustic and electric. Well not so much I found out much later. Plus they were unobtainium to my parents budget.

Short answer, being a Gretsch forum: Streamliner G2420. Decent acoustic sound--no sound post. Comfortable neck. Plug it in if you want to p**s people off :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    panhead6zero, frdrc13, Dave-B and 6 others like this.
  9. afire

afire Country Gent

I went with a Squier Modified Vintage Jaguar for my daughter. Great guitar for the money, around $350.
    [​IMG]
    I started on electric and wouldn't want a beginner to have to struggle with the (generally) higher action and stiffer feel of an acoustic.

Jena, hogrider16, frdrc13 and 6 others like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Friend of Fred

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    First of all, Welcome Aboard!

Start with a decent acoustic. You'll save money by not having to get an amp and other peripherals, and no one really wants to listen to somebody trying to learn an instrument (tho guitar isn't anywhere near as annoying as clarinet or sax). Every guitarist should own and play an acoustic. They're great for sorting out songs, strumming away on the couch on a whim, and for campfires and other outdoor times where AC power isn't handy. Chords and notes are all the same. The only difference would be with a classical nylon string guitar, and even then, it's just due a wider fingerboard and fatter, softer strings.

frdrc13 likes this.
  11. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    If the newbie wants to go electric, try the Squier Affinity Stratocaster package, which is the entry level Squier Stratocaster plus a 10 watt practice amp. I think you can get these packages for about $ 219.00 and the Strat is a real Strat being that Squier is a subsidiary of Fender.

frdrc13 likes this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    My first advice is to buy second - hand.
    That said I would buy a name-brand guitar because you can better re-sell it if your guitar-taste changes.
    Always choose a guitar that really appeals to you be it acoustic or electric. If you really like it it will inspire your learning.

MotorCentaur, frdrc13 and section2 like this.
  13. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

I'm in agreement with everyone on here that says to start with an acoustic. Once you get used to it, the switch to an electric is super easy. Gretsch Streamliners are a great value when you do, as are some of the Squier models.

I agree with the buying used, but it would be good if you know someone who plays to go with you because there are some really crappy new as well as used guitars out there for sale. Stick , with a good name brand--Yamaha, Takamine, Ibanez or similar. Stay away from anything sold on a shopping channel! (Esteban comes to mind here). When my nephew decided he wanted to learn, my sister-in-law found a Yamaha on Facebook Marketplace for $75 and it is an awesome guitar, I liked it so much I considered buying one just like it!

Not to be discouraging here--but statistics show that 90% of new guitar players quit in their first year. It isn't the easiest instrument to learn, but it is very rewarding once you do. However, this is why there are a lot of used guitars on the market that you can get a good deal on. Check Facebook, Craigslist and if there is a Guitar Center near you (although they don't always have great deals on used). Also keep in mind that looks aren't everything when it comes to a guitar. It might have some scratches and dents, but still sounds great and is mechanically sound. Good luck!

frdrc13 likes this.
  14. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Gretsch Rancher Penguin Parlor guitar. White or Gold. I have one and it’s a nice sounding guitar. I also Have a Little Martin I think it is a bit smaller than an 0 Body size but mine has the Sitka top and it plays well and sounds good as well. Do you have a budget in mind? The full Size Rancher acoustic is a nice guitar as well.

frdrc13 likes this.
  15. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Plus 1. I love my G2420T. It's a quality guitar.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

frdrc13 and Armygirl like this.
  16. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    The sore fingers are a necessary stage of development.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

frdrc13 and new6659 like this.
  17. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Absolutely! Just less so on an electric.

frdrc13 and pmac11 like this.
  18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Electromatic

May 20, 2019
    Sydney, Australia
    I agree with a lot that has been said here and in my opinion it really depends on the newbie and how serious they are about it, if it's a person who has dreamed of playing for years and finally decided that yes they want to do it then yeah a good used option like many have stated would be great.

If it's someone who had a bit of impulse thought or 'Yeah i'd like to have a crack at it' then I'd personally ask a few friends or relatives if they have one I could borrow and play for a week or two to see if it was really for me, I've lent my cheap acoustic guitars before to friends and family I trust, like Flouswa said, it's not the easiest instrument to play and I have seen many people get discourage after a few months.

As for ease of playing and all that, I have always had the opinion that if you can learn to do something well on a second rate item be it an instrument/car/motorbike etc then when you graduate to a better item then you would be leaps ahead if you had of just went straight to a pro model but that's just me, I'd rather work hard at something to get it right then to have it easy lol.

frdrc13 likes this.
  19. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I started on acoustics, like everybody my age. I think there are some pluses starting on electric. A decent cheap solid body electric with a pocket amp and headphones will allow the new player to practice without driving everyone in the house crazy. Many pocket amps allow for a mp3 or phone plug in so backing tracks can be used.

I also think new players relate better to elec music rather than acoustic.

Just a thought.

frdrc13, Gregor, Dave-B and 3 others like this.
  20. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I would suggest asking the new player what music they like. That would help determine acoustic or electric, as well as elevate the interest level. Acoustic and electric are way different instruments with wholely different applications, learning curves, and results. I learned on and played acoustic for 40+ years before I picked up an electric. It was like starting all over, because the electric options environment is much larger. I regret not beginning on an electric. In my experience, I think my guitar skills, and maybe my calluses, would have advanced much more quickly. Starting with a hollow body would provide both an acoustic and electric experience.

I would also strongly suggest buying a good used hollow or semi-hollow bodied mid-price guitar (many available under $500, and can be sold with little loss if interest wanes). Take your beginner with you and let them try guitars of different styles, makers, sounds, sizes and weights. Do not buy cheap. It’s a waste of money every time.

Finally, or maybe firstly, find a good teacher, who may also advise on instruments.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Stefan87, frdrc13, larryb and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice