Which Gretsch to buy???

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Mickma, Jul 23, 2019.

1. thunder58

thunder58 I Bleed Orange

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    That new " Steve Wariner " model looks to die for . Promise me you'll watch this vid ..... then decide

JC higgy, ZackyDog and johnny g like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Mickma!
    welcome mat Irish.jpg

ZackyDog likes this.
  3. johnny g

johnny g Synchromatic

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Oh, any old gretsch will do,

new6659, Jena and thunder58 like this.
  4. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I'd like to think that part of the purpose of any forum is to bring to light all of the models produced by our favorite brand. And then discuss why we play the models that we play, or how we've modified them to suit our individual tastes.
    In this particular case, where the OP does not have access to any of the models, I think that it's best to, as many of you have, suggest all of the alternatives that he might find acceptable.
    Good luck, and welcome to Mick, bye the way

Lionpotato likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville, good luck on your Jet hunt!

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well Mick - I suggest you travel to Dublin or London cos you're wasting your time listening to youtube videos.
    Really videos are completely useless for comparing the tone of anything musical.

And you can't go by opinions offered on an internet forum either - there's far too much personal difference between people - my bright could be your dark for all we know.

So accept that unless you personally test these guitars then you'll have no idea what you're buying.
    The outcome of that could be anywhere between thrilling if you're real lucky to ...... huge disappointment if you're not - good luck :)

section2 and Lionpotato like this.
  7. Well, why not ALL of them . . .

Seriously, . . . if I wanted a solid body to emulate my Strat days (oops, years) then definitely a Gretsch 'Vette

But more seriously, a hollow-body, or semi-, or solid . . . ?
    sometin' Duojet/ Telecaster-like . . . ?

Ya' mentioned Duo Jet in OP . . .

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I believe the invention of the filtertron pickup, marked the beginning of The Great Gretsch Sound.

I remember a quote from the late Duke Kramer (former VP) : "It became no great asset having a guitar with Dynasonics", as other companies were using them on their guitars; Gretsch needed something to differentiate itself from the rest of the guitar makers.

Jena, audept and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I will wish to agree especially since Chet hated dynasonics and loved the humbucker that Ray Butts invented we know as Filtertrons! Filtertrons ARE the great gretsch sound!!

Sabato, Yukimajo, ZackyDog and 3 others like this.
  10. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Amen!:cool:

Yukimajo, Jena and audept like this.
  11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    By the way, I'm not knocking dynasonics at all. They are great pickups. :)

To me, Supertrons are also part of The Great Gretsch Sound.

[​IMG]

MyGirlGretta likes this.
  12. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Dynasonics are like pigs. They are best when they are not squealing all the time.

ZackyDog, Yukimajo and MyGirlGretta like this.
  13. Henry

Henry Gretschified

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Welcome. I envy your dilemma.

14. ALS57

ALS57 Electromatic

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    There are some great Gretsch deals on UK ebay if you are careful and take your time. Lower initial outlay and you can get your money back if you don't like it and try another. I tried a very low cost mint condition Streamliner G2420 as a first dip into Gretsch and after a couple of low cost mods I love it.

15. Rob_Brindley

Rob_Brindley Electromatic

Jul 22, 2019
    Stoke-On-Trent, England
    Honestly, we've got a 6120DE which has the 59 trestle bracing and the 2.75" deep body and I've never had feedback issues with it, ever. That said, I do have a 5420 with a Dyna in the bridge and that has been known to squeal from time to time.

16. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    Welcome Mikcma! I think the first question you should ask yourself is Why Gretsch? What was the catalyst that makes you want to pick one up? For me it was seeing the Stray Cats on Top of the Pops in 1980 and I fell in love with the hollowbody, but my budget only allows me to have an Electromatic 5420T which I love. I did used to have a Jet for a while, and I am going to get lynched for this, I sold it for a Les Paul. I just didn't gel with it and preferred the tone of the LP (that got traded in for the 5420 though!).

My main advice would be to go with your heart, that is (for me) the important thing in buying a guitar. If it's something you love, you will play it even if it has some quirks, but if you buy it because it makes sense, is good value, is the guitar you think you should get, etc you will have less impetus in picking it up.

If you're sold on the two models you stated, I'd say go for the Penguin. I have just seen on Jimi's Music Store that they have a White Panther in stock which is the model I would buy if I could afford it. Also you could ask @audept about them as he owns one.

Anyway, whatever choice you make, I hope you enjoy your new family!

audept and larryb like this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    That Red Sparkle Jet with Bigsby and DynaSonics...

I want THE SAME, but in LH... o_Oo_Oo_O:(

A+

new6659 likes this.
  18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    :rolleyes::cool::rolleyes::cool::rolleyes::cool:;)

A+!

Wozob likes this.
  19. afire

afire Country Gent

That's excellent advice. You must have heard or seen something that made you realize you needed a Gretsch. Make that the starting point.

Yukimajo likes this.
  20. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I had a 6128TCG that was basically unusable even at low volume levels. As soon as I got any where near my amp it squealed uncontrollably. I changed over to TVJ T-Armonds, all the squealing stopped and the tonal quality improved hugely. I must have got a bad batch of Dynas. Turned me off them forever.

larryb and Yukimajo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice