Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Which Gretsch model do you GAS for, but seldom shows up?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by DaddyDog, Nov 17, 2016.

1. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Penguin likes this.
  2. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    7615 Bass... never ever, ever seen one in the wild.

Ever.

[​IMG]

3. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Billy bo has been on my hit list for a while it doesn't show up much because I don't have the cash for one right now

Andrew Griffin and Penguin like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That bass is sweet. Is that a handle like on a Steve vai?!

6. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Cream Billy Bo Penguin. Fullers made a few runs of them. One of those would be very, very nice -)

audept likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Interesting that the billy bo has been mentioned a few times. I love the shape.

8. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Oh, wait ... as you mentioned bass above ... there is the new Tom Petersson 12-string bass, but I fear it's price will be shocking:

9. fender62custom

fender62custom Friend of Fred

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
  10. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I am intrigued by the center block falcons, but I've yet to see one in person.

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  11. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Do you mean the 6112TCB-JR? It's still in the current catalog.

004.JPG 016.JPG

Penguin, fender62custom and Henry like this.
  12. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Gretschie

Oct 22, 2015
    Fun thread; for me it's all academic since it would be totally irresponsible of me to get another guitar but....there's a used G6040mcss on GC's list right now that cries out to me. I really like the look, the feel, and the tone of my G400 acoustic- a lovely guitar I feel lucky to have- and to try one out with a filtertron pick up seems very interesting to me. The guitar has been there for a while (I check every day) and no movement. Maybe it's because a single neck pick up on a guitar doesn't appeal to rockers. MAybe it's because a filtertron doesn't appeal to jazzers. Maybe it's because $1,700 dollars is too high. But I'm not a rocker or a jazzer so I might like it. I do wonder though- I have heavy gauge round wound strings on my G400 and I love the tone. For an electric I might want a lighter string set up, so how would the tone respond acoustically? Or I might like flatwounds like I have on my New Yorker, so how would those sound acoustically? Academic, because I shouldn't spend the money.

13. fender62custom

fender62custom Friend of Fred

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Penguin and audept like this.
  14. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Yes, because Rockers need a bridge pickup.

I fear, that's also true ... most Jazz guitarists seek that classic dark Gibson tone as it seems. Gretsch is not popular in the Jazz scene. Even here in the forum I read several times, that flatwounds wouldn't sound good with Filtertrons, though my Panther sounds fantastic with TI Jazz Swing ... a matter of the used amp as it seems, because I'm not alone with my experience, that this string / pickup combination can sound pretty awesome.

15. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    I've been on the lookout for a G6121 FTW to keep my G6120 FTW company. Keep hoping one shows up.

16. Michiel

Michiel Friend of Fred

Jul 29, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Early 50s Electro II with a slim neck (most of em have a baseball bat neck).

Oh, and they're a bit spendy.

[​IMG]

Axeman, Andrew Griffin and wildeman like this.
  17. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I had the chance to compare a double cut CB Falcon with the Panther and chose the later, because it sounded better and was cheaper. I also compared a Billy Duffy Falcon with a red Falcon TVTAFR and the later was the much better instrument.

So testing first is a very good idea ;)

18. Joey L

Joey L Gretschie

Jun 24, 2016
    White Plains, NY
    While it's a matter of personal taste, I disagree that flatwounds sound good with Filtertrons. I put TI TI Jazzswing 11s on both my 5420 as well as my custom built Tele both loaded with TV Jones Classics and they play and sound fantastic. They smooth out the "clangy" sound of round wounds while maintaining clarity and twang. I found each note is more defined. I also put a set on my Gibson ES 295 loaded with Lollar P90s as well as my American Strat. where they also sound great. All of my Gibson's sound best with roundrounds. In fact I tried a set of TI roundwound 11s on my Heritage H555 which sound really nice and much more defined than the D'Addarrios I normally use.

19. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    So far I didn't test TI roundwounds, but I can report, that Gibson Brite Wires sound and feel much better than D'Addarrio on my Gibson LP with 57 Classics. It's strange, because the GBW are also made by D'Addarrio as far as I know, but obviously to different specs, because they also have a longer life time.

On my Falcon, which is very bright I currently use Gibson Vintage Reissue, because they tame the treble a bit without loosing bite for overdriven stuff, which would happen with flatwounds. I prefer my Panther for clean stuff and the Falcon for more heavy sounds.

20. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I would like a set of those little acoustic's with the western motifs painted on them someday.

Andrew Griffin likes this.
  21. Theo 413

Theo 413 Gretschie

Dec 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    David Lee sig

[​IMG]

DaddyDog likes this.