Which acoustic strings are your favorites?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by not_man_davo, Sep 20, 2019.

1. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Hey Y'all,

So I got my first acoustic guitar about a month or so ago, and I'm really loving it. I know right next to nothing about playing acoustic though, as I have never really had an interest in it before.

I know it's a newb question, but I'm a newb and I'm comfortable with that.

That said, which strings do you love on your acoustic? I have a Martin D-28 and it came with Martin strings. They are absolutely fine with me, but I wouldn't know if I'm missing something. Are there transcendent strings out there that will change the way I think about the universe and give me the gift of enlightenment? If so, I NEED to know about em.

2. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I use Martin strings on one of my Yamahas and D’Addario EJ-16s on the other. Bought some lighter D’Addarios to try on one of them.

Strings are cheap. Try different ones and you’ll eventually find the ones for you.

not_man_davo likes this.
  3. swivel

swivel Synchromatic

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I'm currently using Dunlop for the price. Frankly, They seem just fine to me. I'm trying to remember, but I think it's Phosphor Bronze that seems to corrode from sweat very fast and I like 80/20 bronze better.

not_man_davo likes this.
  4. not_man_davo

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Ultimately this is my plan, but I wanted to have a jumping off point from here. I really do like the Martin strings that came on it, and I would be totally fine with the same ones forever, but I don't wanna do that if there's something incredible out there. I had never heard of Tomastik strings before someone here mentioned them, and now I have em on my 6120 all the time. They're pricey, but they're good! also, I HATE changing strings so the longevity makes the price totally worth it to me.

5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Try the Martin Retro Monel's on it, i like'm alot.

ishtar and not_man_davo like this.
  6. KuKuKu

KuKuKu Gretschie

Aug 28, 2016
    Germany
    Another vote for the Monels, they mellow the sound. If that's your cup of tea, of course. ;)

not_man_davo likes this.
  7. afire

afire Country Gent

No particular favorite brand, but the thing I've changed recently is gauge. I now string an acoustic with 11s, same as my electric. Maybe there's a minimal loss of oomph, but the trade-off in comfort is more than worth it, IMO.

Gregor and not_man_davo like this.
  8. not_man_davo

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I have absolutely no worries about losing a little oomph. This thing is a MONSTER so that won't be an issue.

I will look into the Monels, that sounds like a fun place to start.

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Country Gent

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I use what came on them stock because it's all part of the tone and reason I bought them.

not_man_davo likes this.
  10. GlenP

GlenP Gretschie

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    To help your strings last longer, wipe them off after you play to remove the oils from your hands. Also, you could try the coated or extended play, EXP, strings from daddario, for a little more $ you won’t have to change them as often.

I can’t seem to ever find the 12-string sets that are coated on the shelf, so I just get the regular strings and change them when needed. So, no sympathy from me for having to change your six strings.

not_man_davo likes this.
  11. I've used John Pearse slightly light phosphor bronze for many years. however, try as many different brands as you can. eventually you'll hit upon the strings that sound best to you.

not_man_davo likes this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    The Martin Retro's kept snapping on me when I was restringing one day ( no wonder they were complimentary from the factory )
    D'Addario Blugrass strings are my favorite for my Martin ( D'Addario EJ-19 )

13. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I use light D'Addario's on my Martin DC 16.

not_man_davo likes this.
  14. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Synchromatic

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I used mainly D’Addario light gauge EJ16s on my Martin D-18 for twenty years (with some few others I don’t remember ). Then someone gave me some Martin SP phosphor bronze light gauge. They sounded clunky, especially strings 5 & 6. So I went back to the D’Addarios. Much brighter sound to my ear, and seem to project better in unamplified jams.

Lionpotato and not_man_davo like this.
  15. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    After trying dozens of sets, I've come to love the Martin Flexible Core Tommy Emmanuel 12's. Great feel, slinky but not wimpy, great tone, and inexpensive. You do need to wipe them down after playing to preserve them as they have no coating, but that's part of what gives them their tone and feel.

not_man_davo likes this.
  16. not_man_davo

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Thanks y'all! I'm almost looking forward to changing my strings now... I'm not, but almost.

17. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Gretschie

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    I have Martin SP on my Martin. It was strung with them when I bought it new. I bought it because I loved the sound. So I stuck with the same strings.

Bertotti likes this.
  18. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I wonder what's up with that, i bend the crap out of all my strings and have never broken one. I had a octave G on my 12 come apart at the ball but thats it. Bad batch maybe

thunder58 likes this.
  19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Don't do it, use them babies up. I always used to change strings on every guitar i bought right away, I'm more frugal now and play'em till i get a dull thud from them or they dont stay in tune:D
    Listen at Otis, you know them ain't new strings!

20. Scooter127

Scooter127 Synchromatic

Feb 25, 2019
    USA
    I've always liked the D'Addario phospor bronze line and have used them for decades.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice