Which 5420?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by EasyEd, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Geordie99

Geordie99 Electromatic

Feb 22, 2017
    Canada
    Superb choice!!!! I know that you'll enjoy it, as it really is a well-built guitar.

2. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Electromatic

Jul 8, 2012
    chattanooga
    If I see something that really strikes me cosmetics wise.. I buy it.
    my last purchase was one of these.

gretsch twotone.jpg

3. BigDaddyNC

BigDaddyNC Electromatic

Mar 9, 2018
    Wake Forest, NC
    Excellent choice! I have one of the black 5420's with gold hardware, too...I just love it!

4. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I just picked up a mint condition G5420 in orange stain, and it came used with a Tusq nut and a tone bleed circuit. Got a great deal. I just need to put it through a professional setup.

G5420 orange 1.png

5. Stevie Z

Stevie Z Electromatic

Jun 14, 2018
    Kitchener, Ontario
    I was agonizing about the same choice - and was definitely leaning towards the purple anniversary edition (even though ever since I saw the John Players Special black and gold Formula 1 car when I was a kid I've been obsessed with that colour scheme) but then I saw that the Anniversary edition has a 'compressed ebony' fingerboard, and after talking to someone at Gretsch/Fender am now nervous about. However, never been a fan of rosewood either...so will probably get the purple one - after a MUCH closer look at the fingerboard...

Stevie Z.

6. Davos

Davos Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Alaska
    What’s considered a deal on one of these, if you don’t mind me asking.

I got a 5120 with ceramic filtertrons and a case for $650. I thought that was not bad.

7. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I lucked out. Mine only cost me $499 in a well worn case. I have since bought a new Gretsch hard case for $115, so I have about $615 in mine.

9B008FA8-6714-4702-933A-8D56D3F64EE7.jpeg

b80_ likes this.
  8. Davos

Davos Electromatic

Jan 18, 2018
    Alaska
    That looks pretty cherry. Mine was a bit battle worn, but I actually like it like that. I really have no worries about making that first scratch. I didn’t like the sound of the pickups so I ordered some tvjones and since I also heard some buzzing or humming so decided to get a new wiring harness whike I was at it. Then a Compton bridge and I’ve got probably too much into it.

The funny thing is that the old filtertrons probably are fine. I was playing through my 1980’s fender sidekick so I probably should not have judged so harshly. And when I took out the filtertrons, they were poorly connected so that probably contributed to the bad sound. Oh well live and learn. I since bought a 6120 Nashville for a good price so I guess I’m covered.

9. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Jun 2, 2018
    Sunny California
    Nice, that's a pretty sweet price.